Netflix Hints At Password Sharing Crackdown As Subscribers Fall

It must be impossible to enforce, if someone uses Netflix on a laptop/phone/tablet etc there's no way for them to know where "home" is if the device is portable surely
Haven't read the thread but wouldn't it just work like sky go where you can only have a certain number of devices at any one time

It must be impossible to enforce, if someone uses Netflix on a laptop/phone/tablet etc there's no way for them to know where "home" is if the device is portable surely

Probably easier than you think.
You would have to designate your home location to use Netflix once they bring in the scheme.
If you have mobile devices, then they would have to connect with your "Home" IP address from time to time (when you're home).
Any device not connecting with the same IP address at least once very 30 days, would get a warning, then a block.
So a mates Tv in their house would never connect through your ISP so would come a cropper after a month.
Your mobile devices would reset every time you connect them to your home wifi, so would be OK.

Don't know how they would do it exactly, but I suspect it will be something along those lines.

Haven't read the thread but wouldn't it just work like sky go where you can only have a certain number of devices at any one time
Possibly, good point.
You would have to designate your home location to use Netflix once they bring in the scheme.
If you have mobile devices, then they would have to connect with your "Home" IP address from time to time (when you're home).
Any device not connecting with the same IP address at least once very 30 days, would get a warning, then a block.
So a mates Tv in their house would never connect through your ISP so would come a cropper after a month.
Your mobile devices would reset every time you connect them to your home wifi, so would be OK.

Don't know how they would do it exactly, but I suspect it will be something along those lines.

That's a valid point, we noticed something similar with Paramount+ last week actually - I signed up for a free week trial recently and paid for the first month before cancelling. My Mrs then signed up with her name and payment details on a different device, they asked to confirm our home address (no email address) and when she clicked "free week trial", I received an email thanking me for renewing my subscription, no free trial at all and the payment was taken on my Mrs's card instantly.

Last edited:

Already had the emails this week.
Went into Netflix last night for the first time and immediately had to confirm whether I was connecting on my home network. It then states every device connected through that ISP is part of your home network (you can log into your account and see all of the devices/TV's that are connected).

We share passwords with both sets of parents. In all likelihood they will lose access unless I fess up the extra £4.99 (which one of them has said they'll happily pay).

Netflix claim that they won't stop you using your account when travelling or logging in at hotels etc. Not sure how that works mind. From what I have read they've already had to change how they police that as people were complaining they couldn't access their accounts.
I let my mate from work use my Netflix login and in return he let's me use his Disney+ account but if you think there's these, Paramount, Amazon Prime, AppleTV etc it all adds up. I know this is essentially a direct response to help Netflix and their financial issues which were reported a few years ago but it's still a bit excessive IMO. Recently looked in to a Youtube subscription too because I watch more content on there than anything and their ads do my head in...£15.99 a month!

Financial issues?
They generate almost $32bn in Revenue of which $4.5bn is profit (c. 14% margin)
Debts are around $14bn, but take off the cash on their books of $6bn or so leave net debt of $8bn

They've indicated that they are going to level of content spending now (i.e. maintain at same level) and they already generate free cash flow in the billions. This is all about shareholders wanting to see more growth basically.
At some point the market becomes saturated so they are simply looking at ways to increase revenues from their existing user base.

Last edited:
I got the message on my TV yesterday asking if I was connecting from my home network. When my daughter tried to get onto my account which she shares using my password she also got the same message. I confirmed mine but obviously she couldn't. She's not signing up for it and I downgraded my account as she can no longer share it so they are now getting less money from us.
Think they could be shooting themselves in the foot here. Surely a lot of people will just downgrade/cancel rather than take out another subscription.

Last edited:
I got the message on my TV yesterday asking if I was connecting from my home network. When my daughter tried to get onto my account which she shares using my password she also got the same message. I confirmed mine but obviously she couldn't. She's not signing up for it and I downgraded my account as she can no longer share it so they are now getting less money from us.
Think they could be shooting themselves in the foot here. Surely a lot of people will just downgrade/cancel rather than take out another subscription.
I got asked to confirm ours which I did
Then when she logged on from a diff house I got asked to confirm and I did , both houses still have access. (4user set up) , so they now have 4 diff devices registered I think …
Agree if ends up a chew on I will just bin it

I got asked to confirm ours which I did
Then when she logged on from a diff house I got asked to confirm and I did , both houses still have access. (4user set up) , so they now have 4 diff devices registered I think …
Agree if ends up a chew on I will just bin it
So if I confirm my daughters can she use it at her address? I thought this was what they were cracking down on.

So if I confirm my daughters can she use it at her address? I thought this was what they were cracking down on.
You will have to pick a “home location” and every 30 days all devices will need to visit home to continue access.

Or you can confirm via email, but it’s was such a pain. They might have improved the system for like a year ago when I got sick of it and binned it off

You will have to pick a “home location” and every 30 days all devices will need to visit home to continue access.

Or you can confirm via email, but it’s was such a pain. They might have improved the system for like a year ago when I got sick of it and binned it off
So she'd have to bring her telly to my house? 🤣

Would it work if she only watched it on her laptop and she logged on with that at my house every month?

Last edited:
So she'd have to bring her telly to my house? 🤣

Would it work if she only watched it on her laptop and she logged on with that at my house every month?
Yeah, the portable stuff is easy as long as it connects to the “home” wifi within 30 days and opens the app. It won’t even ask again

The tv one was weird, we accepted the first couple via a email, but it was getting more and more frequent, it felt like every day I had to log on and accept it. Then sometimes it just wouldn’t work. It got to the point I gave up and just used Disney+

The problem was I worked away for months on end sometimes. So it was my account, in my name but I was being kicked out because I had a mobile job :lol:

Financial issues?
They generate almost $32bn in Revenue of which $4.5bn is profit (c. 14% margin)
Debts are around $14bn, but take off the cash on their books of $6bn or so leave net debt of $8bn

Apologies, I was referring to their difficult year last year with memberships falling at a record rate and growth slowing

Is this just for those who pay the one login fee then share that login with others? Or are they slso stopping someone who pays for multi accounts, from giving a login to someone outside their home address?

Back