Netflix Hints At Password Sharing Crackdown As Subscribers Fall

We've been done fair play. Ex-missus been letting us all use it in different houses, got the dreaded message the other day so no more free Netflix :(

I like Netflix as a service but cant afford it, Spotify wins!

Last edited:
Strange that its not detecting a change in IP
It's a weird situation.

We used to get 'free' Netflix as part of our Virgin TV package and we paid an extra £5 per month to get the full HD plus multiple logins. We lost it when we reduced the Virgin package down to the bare minimum.

My Mam then realised that she could get 'free' Netflix with her Sky package and rang them to get it initiated - we would then 'piggyback' onto her account the same way she had been doing on ours. For some reason Sky said that they could see the account she had been using previously (mine via Virgin) and simply restarted that account but linked it to her Sky account.

I then received an email from either Netflix or Sky (can't remember which) to say that my Netflix account had been linked to my Sky account (I don't have Sky).

The username is my old Virgin username with the same password. My mam can get access to this Netflix account on her smart telly using these details but not on her Sky box for some reason, despite it being provided 'free' via her Sky account. We can still get access with the same details via our smart telly/X-box.

Both households are just using it until it eventually goes off - we have no idea whose Virgin or Sky account it is actually linked to or which provider is providing it 'free'.

Reading this thread a bit weird, should something have changed?
My Netflix is shared with kids devices, but also used at my house but also by my ex at hers?
Works fine and ive not done anything

My Netflix is shared with kids devices, but also used at my house but also by my ex at hers?

Yeah its a bit strange why its happened for some but not others. Maybe they are targeting the worst offenders first? We have used across about 4 IPs and now we need to send a text confirming the household change each time.

Might it be working by distance between IP addresses? I got pinged cos I use it in Manchester and my parents were using it in Gateshead. If your ex is close by they might assume someone has just nipped to a mates so it's less obvious that it's someone trying it on?

Might it be working by distance between IP addresses? I got pinged cos I use it in Manchester and my parents were using it in Gateshead. If your ex is close by they might assume someone has just nipped to a mates so it's less obvious that it's someone trying it on?
about 10 miles away I reckon so prob not
how did they contact you?

Back