Netflix has 104 million subscribers worldwide

Status
Not open for further replies.

I do prefer the interface with Netflix. With having young kids, I get to watch about 1 hour of grown up telly, 5 nights a week. We have been going through various series, like House of Cards, and for that it is brilliant. Pick up any convenient device, launch netflix, it knows what you watch regularly and where you are up to, so usually the first link is the next episode. Press once to enable chromecast then once to play. After that, you have high quality without buffering. You can't get much easier.

Kodi was pretty easy once I set it up and found what was the current popular plugin (Exodus). I searched for the program I wanted then had loads of options where there was a list of file names but they pretty accurately described the content. I went for The Leftovers Season 2. This particular one has a very long period at the start with no speech. Picked a couple of sources and both had shocking picture quality, so went back and found one with good quality. Watched for a bit, then found it kept buffering, so went back and tried another. Picture quality good, no buffering, looking good...oh god, 10 minutes in they start speaking and now we have arabic subtitles we can't turn off because they were on the original source. 20 minutes later and I still did not have anything watchable. I'm happy to pay a small amount to not have to faff about hunting out decent streams.

I also tried some of the very old Doctor Who, but out of the ones I picked, the titles were of old episodes but the content was the more modern Smith and Tennant stuff.

The Netflix experience of both is, search for 'The Leftovers', no can't watch that. Search for 'Doctor Who', nope can't watch that either. At least the leftovers is only £11.99 DVD on Amazon at the moment. When I do have time to watch that, I'm happy to pay the small amount of cash for the simplicity.

What I would really like is to be able to pay say £10 per month for a Netflix type service, but has a large range of films and TV shows, including a lot of older stuff I have never seen or want to watch again. If a compromise for such a back catalogue is you have to pay a little extra for new releases then that would be fine. Google Play currently has pretty much everything I have ever thought of searching for, but it is rubbish for TV shows. Usually you are looking at £1.89 per episode. For a 20 episode season, that is very expensive and makes DVD far cheaper.
You've just described perfectly why I'm happy to pay cash for content.

Football rights owners take note.

Thinking about getting rid of deezer when it's up for renewal in November and replacing it with Amazon prime. Think it will cost me £40 a year more, but looks like I'll get loads more for the £40.

Amazon prime is excellent. I've had it since December and had probably close to 100 next day free deliveries :oops: Amazon tv is ok, not as good as Netflix but not terrible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back