Netflix has 104 million subscribers worldwide

Status
Not open for further replies.

I have Netflix and Amazon prime and I reckon I get my money out of it from the kids alone.

if I get 10 hours of viewing out of them a month then its decent value at a quid an hour

For the cost of three pints a month you can hardly knock it. Yes the film content is shite but for box sets and kids stuff there is enough on there to last until doomsday.

Got the family one Harry. 15 quid a month for 6 users is superb

I paid a tenner a month for Premium for a couple of years till I noticed this Family option for just a fiver extra. Signed up for it, gave two of them to my nephews and the others to people off here. Everyone seems happy so value for money it has been from day one.

The same with Netflix, I signed up for the premium thingy and share my log-in with someone else. HBO Nordic only comes with a standard option but can be shared with others as well. Viaplay the same. Combined together they give a pretty decent showing of series and football with the odd movie thrown in as well. And the best part is I can log on to them when in the NE by using a Danish ip thingy so I don't miss out on anything while away.

New releases I just download from the telly box. Don't trust Kodi and have never used it. Something about it all that just doesn't sit well with me.

Thank God. Thankfully it is far better. With Kodi it is all about file name's and creating folders. With Netflix you just search for the film or TV proramme you want and watch it. I must have watched about 60 films on Netflix since May 9th when I fractured my finger at work and had to take the next 6-7 weeks off. I saw some great films which I would not have got to see or may not have been sure of seeing on Kodi because I would have spent a lot of the time going into menus and selecting things and then adding folders to drives and then installing one thing so I can upload another from another source. Kodi is the hardest thing in the world to crack. If everything like a ticket machine, an ATM or an NHS computer database used a system where to use it we had to install things and create source's we would beat everyone from the ordinary criminal to an IS terrorist.

I do prefer the interface with Netflix. With having young kids, I get to watch about 1 hour of grown up telly, 5 nights a week. We have been going through various series, like House of Cards, and for that it is brilliant. Pick up any convenient device, launch netflix, it knows what you watch regularly and where you are up to, so usually the first link is the next episode. Press once to enable chromecast then once to play. After that, you have high quality without buffering. You can't get much easier.

Kodi was pretty easy once I set it up and found what was the current popular plugin (Exodus). I searched for the program I wanted then had loads of options where there was a list of file names but they pretty accurately described the content. I went for The Leftovers Season 2. This particular one has a very long period at the start with no speech. Picked a couple of sources and both had shocking picture quality, so went back and found one with good quality. Watched for a bit, then found it kept buffering, so went back and tried another. Picture quality good, no buffering, looking good...oh god, 10 minutes in they start speaking and now we have arabic subtitles we can't turn off because they were on the original source. 20 minutes later and I still did not have anything watchable. I'm happy to pay a small amount to not have to faff about hunting out decent streams.

I also tried some of the very old Doctor Who, but out of the ones I picked, the titles were of old episodes but the content was the more modern Smith and Tennant stuff.

The Netflix experience of both is, search for 'The Leftovers', no can't watch that. Search for 'Doctor Who', nope can't watch that either. At least the leftovers is only £11.99 DVD on Amazon at the moment. When I do have time to watch that, I'm happy to pay the small amount of cash for the simplicity.

What I would really like is to be able to pay say £10 per month for a Netflix type service, but has a large range of films and TV shows, including a lot of older stuff I have never seen or want to watch again. If a compromise for such a back catalogue is you have to pay a little extra for new releases then that would be fine. Google Play currently has pretty much everything I have ever thought of searching for, but it is rubbish for TV shows. Usually you are looking at £1.89 per episode. For a 20 episode season, that is very expensive and makes DVD far cheaper.

I'm generally a fan but some of its recent stuff has been poor:

Girlboss - unlikable, managed three episodes
Gypsy - didn't finish episode one, boring
Friends From College - spectacularly unfunny comedy

Friends From College picks up after a couple of episodes. I was a bit bored at the beginning but I was hooked by the end.

Stranger things. Better call saul. Orange is the new black.

There is some good stuff on there. I watch peep show all the way through once a year too.

I do prefer the interface with Netflix. With having young kids, I get to watch about 1 hour of grown up telly, 5 nights a week. We have been going through various series, like House of Cards, and for that it is brilliant. Pick up any convenient device, launch netflix, it knows what you watch regularly and where you are up to, so usually the first link is the next episode. Press once to enable chromecast then once to play. After that, you have high quality without buffering. You can't get much easier.

Kodi was pretty easy once I set it up and found what was the current popular plugin (Exodus). I searched for the program I wanted then had loads of options where there was a list of file names but they pretty accurately described the content. I went for The Leftovers Season 2. This particular one has a very long period at the start with no speech. Picked a couple of sources and both had shocking picture quality, so went back and found one with good quality. Watched for a bit, then found it kept buffering, so went back and tried another. Picture quality good, no buffering, looking good...oh god, 10 minutes in they start speaking and now we have arabic subtitles we can't turn off because they were on the original source. 20 minutes later and I still did not have anything watchable. I'm happy to pay a small amount to not have to faff about hunting out decent streams.

I also tried some of the very old Doctor Who, but out of the ones I picked, the titles were of old episodes but the content was the more modern Smith and Tennant stuff.

The Netflix experience of both is, search for 'The Leftovers', no can't watch that. Search for 'Doctor Who', nope can't watch that either. At least the leftovers is only £11.99 DVD on Amazon at the moment. When I do have time to watch that, I'm happy to pay the small amount of cash for the simplicity.

What I would really like is to be able to pay say £10 per month for a Netflix type service, but has a large range of films and TV shows, including a lot of older stuff I have never seen or want to watch again. If a compromise for such a back catalogue is you have to pay a little extra for new releases then that would be fine. Google Play currently has pretty much everything I have ever thought of searching for, but it is rubbish for TV shows. Usually you are looking at £1.89 per episode. For a 20 episode season, that is very expensive and makes DVD far cheaper.

The one snag with Netflix is it doesn't have a lot of the big movies. You go to the "Search" and type in something and for the most park it will only come up with something that relates to it or begins with the same letter. It won't actually be it. Also when you watch a movie and you don't like it (I didn't like Shimmer Lake or Arctic Blast or John Q) you can't take it off the "Continue Watching" menu. Now I have three films at least that I can't get rid of.

I would rather have that than the problems you faced with Kodi. The Add-On's seem very unreliable if your experiences are anything to go by.

If you want a good TV and movie selection then perhaps Amazon Prime?

104m?

Not even twice the population of the UK. There's 7.5bn in the world so it's a mere drop on the ocean.

So that's 1 in 72 people in the world have a Netflix subscription

3.6 billion of those people have an average income of below 2 USD per day or 730 USD per year.

It's 95 USD for an annual basic netflix subscription ...so we can safely say those people can't afford it.

Leaving 3.9 billion people.

Now one in 37 people in the world have a Netflix subscription. A large percentage of which are still way below what the West would describe as the poverty line.

Not bad really.

it has Rick and Morty and southpark

enough to keep me happy and my wife annoyed!!

cant decide whether the lost internet or the warcraft episodes of south park or the best (black friday one is funny as well)

The one snag with Netflix is it doesn't have a lot of the big movies. You go to the "Search" and type in something and for the most park it will only come up with something that relates to it or begins with the same letter. It won't actually be it. Also when you watch a movie and you don't like it (I didn't like Shimmer Lake or Arctic Blast or John Q) you can't take it off the "Continue Watching" menu. Now I have three films at least that I can't get rid of.

I would rather have that than the problems you faced with Kodi. The Add-On's seem very unreliable if your experiences are anything to go by.

If you want a good TV and movie selection then perhaps Amazon Prime?
i got a months prime for wife to try on sunday , went into her room 10.00pm ish and she's watching some freeview shite , "what's the matter with Prime " i said ?
Its rubbish says she its all crap no decent movies or tv shows on it duh !!!
This was after trying netflix last month we used it for 2 days and never switched it back on the content is abysmal.

i got a months prime for wife to try on sunday , went into her room 10.00pm ish and she's watching some freeview shite , "what's the matter with Prime " i said ?
Its rubbish says she its all crap no decent movies or tv shows on it duh !!!
This was after trying netflix last month we used it for 2 days and never switched it back on the content is abysmal.
had prime a couple of years now, content is decent and there is some good stuff on it, i think the problem with netflix and prime is that a lot of users think that its only content is what they actually see on the home screen.

had prime a couple of years now, content is decent and there is some good stuff on it, i think the problem with netflix and prime is that a lot of users think that its only content is what they actually see on the home screen.
yep she said , its awful to use , you have to scrolll through lists of movies to buy /rent etc , all sorts of crap on the screen , when your scrollingn.

At £5 per month that is nearly £5.5billion income.

that's a lot of money. will be twice the BBC soon and we are forced to pay that.

Looked up, 50 million paid.

Both are remarkably successful.

£8 a month in the UK if you wand HD and the ability to download and watch offline

Add-ons>Exodus>Search>Movies (or TV)

Kodi isn't hard.

I think to a degree, Kodi is only good if you know what you are looking for. Netflix is great for discovering new content.

I don't understand why people bother with Netflix when the likes of showbox cartoonhd cinemahd are around for free and much better content

If nobody was paying for things like Netflix then you wouldnt have any of your free content.. somewhere along the line someone needs to get paid!

As for why I use netflix and not free streaming services? I actually do have an android box with Kodi but to be honest, the netflix interface, the speed of it, the ease of finding new content when I dont know what I want to watch etc. make it well worth £8 a month. I barely bother with the Android box.

Last edited:
I think to a degree, Kodi is only good if you know what you are looking for. Netflix is great for discovering new content.
You can bring up lists by genre or what's popular in exodus too.

Netflix has a better interface, auto plays the next episode, has 4k etc. I use netflix all the time.

My point wasn't to bash netflix, is was that kodi isn't difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back