NEPL 2021 Season

Unfortunately I think it's too late for Sacriston this time, but hoping I'm wrong.

Looks like there’s problems with the average points in division 1. Newcastle appear to have been promoted following an appeal to the league about how the average points work when some games were based on 20 points and others on 30 points. Will be interesting to see if Castle Eden appeal as they required 6 points yesterday with the revised average points and only achieved 5.

Looks like there’s problems with the average points in division 1. Newcastle appear to have been promoted following an appeal to the league about how the average points work when some games were based on 20 points and others on 30 points. Will be interesting to see if Castle Eden appeal as they required 6 points yesterday with the revised average points and only achieved 5.
The rule change from average points to percentage points was to be brought in if a game was called off due to COVID in both win/lose/draw cricket as well as a win/lose game. There hadn't been a win/lose game in the league abandoned for COVID until the Willington game yesterday. I'm led to believe an email was sent around all clubs explaining this earlier in the week, so everybody was aware.

I'd feel aggrieved if I was Castle Eden but an appeal would likely be futile.

The rule change from average points to percentage points was to be brought in if a game was called off due to COVID in both win/lose/draw cricket as well as a win/lose game. There hadn't been a win/lose game in the league abandoned for COVID until the Willington game yesterday. I'm led to believe an email was sent around all clubs explaining this earlier in the week, so everybody was aware.

I'd feel aggrieved if I was Castle Eden but an appeal would likely be futile.
If I’m reading that correctly, Castle Eden would have been promoted had the Willington game gone ahead yesterday?

I’ve been told that an appeal is expected. There’s a suggestion that all 3 teams will be promoted as it’s too difficult a situation to resolve. It’s just as well Burnopfield won yesterday as there was an issue regarding points if they’d lost yesterday. What a mess this is turning out to be.
How could all 3 teams be promoted? 3 relegated?

Surprised nobody has mentioned South North winning the title over Burnmoor. They should have tied it up the week before, but lost to Washington. SN beat Burnmoor to regain the title. Worthy and his pals must be gutted.

As for Tynemouth, we finished 6th with both 1s and 2s. Great day at Whitburn yesterday. Beautiful ground, superb hospitality and excellent sporting conduct. They really are a club to admire.

Surprised nobody has mentioned South North winning the title over Burnmoor. They should have tied it up the week before, but lost to Washington. SN beat Burnmoor to regain the title. Worthy and his pals must be gutted.

As for Tynemouth, we finished 6th with both 1s and 2s. Great day at Whitburn yesterday. Beautiful ground, superb hospitality and excellent sporting conduct. They really are a club to admire.

who went down?

I’ve been told that an appeal is expected. There’s a suggestion that all 3 teams will be promoted as it’s too difficult a situation to resolve. It’s just as well Burnopfield won yesterday as there was an issue regarding points if they’d lost yesterday. What a mess this is turning out to be.
There has been an appeal. As a compromise, the league have asked both teams if they would play in a play off this weekend at Sacriston. I'm told one team has refused this. The league will now go through the standard appeal process - I expect there will be no change to promotion as all teams were aware of the percentage points/average points situation. Still be interesting to see how this plays out.

There has been an appeal. As a compromise, the league have asked both teams if they would play in a play off this weekend at Sacriston. I'm told one team has refused this. The league will now go through the standard appeal process - I expect there will be no change to promotion as all teams were aware of the percentage points/average points situation. Still be interesting to see how this plays out.
Yep interesting how it plays out since latest email sent to the league

Yep interesting how it plays out since latest email sent to the league
I can only see this being reversed if it can be proved the game impacted with Covid should have went ahead and therefore the average points is no longer an issue

I can only see this being reversed if it can be proved the game impacted with Covid should have went ahead and therefore the average points is no longer an issue
The league secretaries were informed well in advance that the table would switch to percentages rather than average points, don’t see that Castle Eden have a leg to stand on tbh, every club knew what they needed to do on the final day to secure promotion.

It’s unfortunate that Play Cricket can’t reflect the table with percentage points, bound to lead to frustration when it’s showing incorrect information.

Back