NEPL 2021 Season

Hadn’t one member of the SN tested positive for CV meaning him and the rest of the SN side should have been self isolating? They had played the night before as well.

If that’s the case then I believe Sacriston were well within their rights not to play given the current rules in place.
One of the SN players tested positive on Saturday morning. Apparently no SN players are having to self isolate as none of them have been identified as close contacts. 2 of the players who played on Friday night also played today when they got beat off Ashington by 9 runs on DLS calculations.

I was talking to Ollie McGee yesterday who came to watch his brother against Burnopfield. By the by, the successive maximums Ben smote off JDT's bowling were even better than some of the shots I've seen the great Jacques play over the years. Anyway, Ollie said the Sacriston lads point blank refused to play, saying they didn't feel "safe;" would they have taken a similar stance against Washington or Whitburn I wonder...

As for the question should unplayed games be ignored and the table based on a PPG basis, or counted as abandoned with 5 points each? I am agnostic about this, though I'm sure the NEPL will ensure whatever decision they make with benefit Chester le Street and South North.
Rules were set before the season to combat any Covid Issues but there has been an email last week suggesting these are being reviewed which I find strange. The previous week 4 games were off for Covid and due to weather only 1 game commenced so maybe they feel those clubs got an advantage. My view is that they should have made that clear before the season commenced and not amend rule for circumstances they didn't think through.

It is likely more games will be lost in the weeks ahead and maybe impact on promotion/relegation etc but clubs knew the rules at the start so the average points is fair. Let's hope they don't change the rules so South North and the other top clubs benefit as normal.

With regards to when games should be called off for Covid issues is also a mine field. For example, if you lose 5 or 6 first team players should you play the first team and let the second team suffer and play play weakend first team? Or do you call off the game where the players would normally play and call first team game off

Hadn’t one member of the SN tested positive for CV meaning him and the rest of the SN side should have been self isolating? They had played the night before as well.

If that’s the case then I believe Sacriston were well within their rights not to play given the current rules in place.
I hope this isn’t linked but, Sacriston have had a Covid outbreak and their midweek league game tomorrow has been cancelled as a result.

I hope this isn’t linked but, Sacriston have had a Covid outbreak and their midweek league game tomorrow has been cancelled as a result.
Unrelated. Segga had an outbreak of their own following the football last Tuesday and some of their players were already self isolating for the weekend gone as close contacts to the positive case.

I'm from Sacriston, and like it's said here, the cases are completely rife in the village. It's well known here about several cases stemming from the CC on the Tuesday.

Benwell Hill beat Willington in T20 semi final.153, 157-3.
South North 149 facing Lanchester.19/3 after 3 overs.
Lanchester 19/1
Lanchester finish on 147/7 . Restricted to 7 in last 2 overs .
Benwell Hill beat Willington in T20 semi final.153, 157-3.
South North 149 facing Lanchester.19/3 after 3 overs.
Lanchester 19/1

Last edited:
South North beat Lanchester by 2 runs in the second semi final. Any idea why the rules were changed during the middle of the game, not to use DLS? Can imagine Lanchester will not be happy at that.

South North beat Lanchester by 2 runs in the second semi final. Any idea why the rules were changed during the middle of the game, not to use DLS? Can imagine Lanchester will not be happy at that.
No idea mate . Just followed it on play cricket.Did Lanchester bat in the rain ?

I'm from Sacriston, and like it's said here, the cases are completely rife in the village. It's well known here about several cases stemming from the CC on the Tuesday.
Will you be able to fulfill next Saturday's fixtures do you know?
All decisions in the NEPL are for the benefit of Chester Le Street and South North only

Last edited:
Hearing that 2 players have received 3 week suspensions from the Eppleton v Tynemouth game last weekend. Anyone heard anything about what went on?
Ryan Downes for Eppleton & Muhammad Saad for Tynemouth. The home batsman caused a stink with his unsporting behaviour. He attempted to handle the ball to avoid being run out and, despite missing it, he should have been out as the 2017 law change means that you don't actually need to touch the ball to be given out. The umpires admitted this error afterwards, which was nice of them. As regards Muhammad Saad for Tynemouth. he was charged with a Level 2 for excessive appealing, so it's only 2 weeks. Would imagine Downes did himself no favours by taking off his helmet and getting right in Saad's face.

Bit of a shame it's the home club of the League Chair causing this palaver

A big result for Washington at the foot of the table, beating Burnhopefield to jump up three places. Looks like two from four for the drop , these two, Whitburn and Sacriston. Will be an interesting battle.

Back