Moving back to Durham - City or surroundings villages?

I didnt look further into the details.. saw communal garden and it put me off... if communal garden essentially meant the 3-4 acres of land.. then thats fine.. Id find a place to walk around happily in my undercrackers

I can do that round Segga and no one bats an eyelid....

I'm in brandon but looking to move soonish. I went to St Margrets and Johnston and want my kids to do the same so have to look at catchment area's etc. Is a ball ache like.

We live in Sacriston and the kids all went to St Margarets and Johnston

If you're looking at Chester le Street, Ouston is canny. Quiet village, plenty of fields and woods to walk in, but still just a short drive to Durham or Newcastle.

I think there's better/nicer places for weadale than Willington Village itself. Hamsterley, fir tree, Wolsingham. Depends if you need to commute. What's Brancepeth like these days
expensive and quiet. I know someone selling their house there.

I was getting Brancepeth mixed up with New Brancepeth there and thinking eh?! :oops::lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Romaldkirk is probably no. 1 on my list of rural villages I’d move to within an hour of home. I’m watching two properties on Rightmove in this village.

Based on the OPs initial locations, I’d say around Lanchester, Hunwick and Witton Le Wear would be good research areas.
Witton le wear is a lovely place. Nice easy walk to the river, two pubs, you probably get views of the castle from some houses...

[/QUOTE]
20 years since I was at school but Parkside was always known as a rough school mind. My mate moved to willington about a year back, nice house in an estate near the cricket club.[/QUOTE]

Born and raised in Willington but live abroad now.

It's not as much of a shithole as it used to be as there's the new estate down by the cricket field/old carpet factory and the houses where the spectrum leisure centre is. Still it wouldn't be on my list to move there if I ever did go back.

Parkside school known as rough? No idea where you got that from. Was/is a decent school with some canny teachers. Changed a lot since I left 18 years ago with it now being parkside academy.

The only schools I can remember which had a bad reputation nearby were Bishop Barrington and Wolsingham. Not really sure why though.

Back