Most underrated tourist attractions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Versus the other thread, what are the tourist attractions you didn’t expect to enjoy, but did?

In answer to this question rather than thread title, I wasn't expecting to enjoy Ayers Rock (as it was more commonly known then). I actually really enjoyed camping under it even though it was freezing and climbing up it even though it was baking hot. Fantastic, and long remembered.

Opera House, Sydney Bridge is the type of thing I'd usually avoid but loved a drink at the opera bar with the view

In answer to this question rather than thread title, I wasn't expecting to enjoy Ayers Rock (as it was more commonly known then). I actually really enjoyed camping under it even though it was freezing and climbing up it even though it was baking hot. Fantastic, and long remembered.
I had no plans to climb it at all and it was the lad sat next to me on the bus who persuaded me it was worthwhile. Really glad I did although I wasn't expecting a thunderstorm when I got to the top.:lol:
Watching it change colour at sunset was special as well.

It sounds daft but i am going to say the great wall of china, it is very well known but i have been a bunch of times to different places and every time it was a little overwhelming nothing i had seen or read about it did it justice. Same for Jiuzhaigou in Sichuan province

Yeah, they're not attractive. The older buildings are lovely though. I know somebody who lives in the village and, when doing some work on their house, discovered a priest hole. The history of the place is very interesting.

Fuck's that?

Surprised nee one's said Hadrian's Wall yet. Mad to think this wall is nearly 2,000 year old but still standing there. In fact, I suppose all the old Roman sites that are kicking about in decent nick.

The worlds largest onion near garstang was a slight disappointment, it wasnt even the real onion just some photos and a paper mache model. Now the record has been beaten by someone from newark too so it not even a model of the world largest onion.

6.5/10

Went to Florence and didnt really find the Ponte Vecchio blew me away,just crowded and full of slow walking yanks and Japanese tourists.

Boboli Gardens however were amazing.

Durham.

On our doorstep and massively under appreciated.

We were on the piss through there recently and a couple of the lads said something like “never realised how much Durham had to offer. I’m bringing our lass for a day out”. Lads that have lived in Sunderland all their lives ffs
"I'm bringing our lass..."
Ffs
Amazing how many people never get past the end of the street

Part of problem for Escomb is that they built all those houses round it
Always wondered why they built a church like that in the middle of a council estate
Bit like hylton castle fancy plonking it there
Wdsc

Petit palais museum in Paris
Fantastic and it's free

St. Peter's church and St. Paul's at jarraw
Proper history

Last edited:
The 02 when it was still called The Dome. It was mainly slagged off for being late and massively over budget but what people didn't mention was that the displays inside were top class. If reporters had concentrated more on what was inside instead of how much money it cost to build it would have been a lot more successful.

The worlds largest onion near garstang was a slight disappointment, it wasnt even the real onion just some photos and a paper mache model. Now the record has been beaten by someone from newark too so it not even a model of the world largest onion.

6.5/10

:lol: How far had you traveled to see a paper-maché model of the worlds second largest onion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back