Most underrated tourist attractions

The Cathedral certainly is on its own.

I reckon that lot of Durham folk do fully appreciate what they have but nationally but there are also a lot who don't - and nationally, it isn't the first place on anyone's lips. Even though there isn't a better example in the country.

Durham is awful at promoting itself. Not just the city but Teesdale and Weardale are as good as the Yorkshire Dale's anyway.

That said, maybe it's for the best

Versus the other thread, what are the tourist attractions you didn’t expect to enjoy, but did?

Grand Canyon for me. I wasn’t that bothered about it, but was actually blown away when I got there.

Also, Antelope Canyon, doesn’t get a lot of press, but is stunning.

I don't think you can say the Grand Canyon is underrated though :eek:

I’m gonna cheat and say a destination.

Huangshan, Anhui Province, China.

Huangshan mountain is stunning, the villages are fascinating as well as pretty, the food is lush and the lasses have the prettiest smiles in China.

Not really on foreign tourists radar, but big in domestic tourism.

Brimham rocks
Stump Cross Caverns
Blair Drummond Safari Park
Hareshaw Linn Waterfall

All decent and within a few hours drive.

The Cathedral certainly is on its own.

I reckon that lot of Durham folk do fully appreciate what they have but nationally but there are also a lot who don't - and nationally, it isn't the first place on anyone's lips. Even though there isn't a better example in the country.

Im in Canada now and one of my patients was planning a trip and was doing the usual London/Edinburgh trip - I said they should stop off at Durham, hire a car and drive to Edinburgh on the coastal route - they were blown away and the cathedral and Bamburgh were the favourite parts of their trip

I think it's probably lesser known than underrated but I'd agree that it is absolutely stunning.

I'm going to throw Ullswater into the mix. There are some views of it that really are breathtaking. I actually swore out loud once when driving towards it and it came into view.:lol:

Never been to Ullswater. Might head down for the Mrs' birthday next month.

Guessing there are a few decent walks to do?

Being on the hill tops in the Lake District looking down on to the villages below.

Looking forward to the beer and Goulash.

on one of my trips to Havana some locals took me to their 'lights out' ceremony at the castle/fort on other side of the bay... Fortress of San Carlos (but also the old fort El Morro at same location)… its a tradition that dates back to when Havana was occupied by the British! The Spanish and then Cubans have kept it going... involves a cannon being fired that is supposed to tell everybody the City is safe for the night. Was impressed.

Another is an actual journey in the UK that always impresses me... but you have to do it in daylight... the train journey from Edinburgh to Inverness, although more specifically the section north of Perth to Inverness... I have habit of dozing off on long train journeys but each time I do that journey its eyes wide open! Earlier this year I was lucky to travel up through the Highlands and green/forests... when I came back down about a week later it had snowed and was like a different World

Back