Most underrated tourist attractions

Not sure if it’s underrated but I enjoyed Robben Island more than I thought I would. Great views of Table Mountain and Cape Town from the boat and island and interesting history re the jail and island

Went to Florence and didnt really find the Ponte Vecchio blew me away,just crowded and full of slow walking yanks and Japanese tourists.

Boboli Gardens however were amazing.
I love Florence. And Rome. Fantastic cities. Milan on the other hand, very underwhelming.

Last edited:
I love Florence. And Rome. Fantastic cities. Milan on the other hand, very underwhelming.
i agree with @Mr.Thunders - Florence didn't do it for me, too over-run with coach loads of Japanese tourists and street vendors selling fake hand bags etc... ditto Pisa. having come from Assisi & Siena where we had a fantastic time just wandering the old (less bustling) streets probably jaded Florence in its defence.

Versus the other thread, what are the tourist attractions you didn’t expect to enjoy, but did?

Grand Canyon for me. I wasn’t that bothered about it, but was actually blown away when I got there.

Also, Antelope Canyon, doesn’t get a lot of press, but is stunning.

That's it though, people expect just a crack in the ground. It's actually a full blown canyon network.

Taking a helicopter ride over it is the real mind blower. Expensive but worth every penny.

There's a place call Bryce Canyon over in Utah that apparently surprises people when they see it too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Northumberland. Best beaches in the country yet doesn't get that many tourists. Compare that to Cornwall for example. Beautiful countryside too
Cos there's fuck all there. Just imo of course.
Been up that way twice in the camper, and aside from drinking*, there was bugger all to do.

*and the drinking was shit, anarl.

I was a bit underwhelmed by the Epcot Centre in Florida but then met a dorty American lass in the English Village Pub and after sharing 6 pints was literally blown away.
Bah, Epcot is mint.
So are filthy yanks mind.

I think it's probably lesser known than underrated but I'd agree that it is absolutely stunning.

I'm going to throw Ullswater into the mix. There are some views of it that really are breathtaking. I actually swore out loud once when driving towards it and it came into view.:lol:

Is it Ullswater you see from the Kirkstone pass. There's a spot that has the best scenery I've EVER seen just on the way back down. Truly amazing.

Last edited:
Verona Amphitheatre. A mini colosseum without the crowds. They also hosts concerts. Seen Adele there, what a venue that was. Verona is stunning as well, cobbled narrow streets, perfect alternative to the mania of Rome and close to Lake Garda to boot.
I proposed in Verona, beautiful place. We were there in February time when there was a huge local festival on with street parades.

We also managed to get a private box in Opera House for something ridiculous like 15 Euro per person. Seeing an Orchestra isn't my usual thing but it was a fantastic experience.

Not sure if it’s underrated but I enjoyed Robben Island more than I thought I would. Great views of Table Mountain and Cape Town from the boat and island and interesting history re the jail and island

I loved Florence,but didnt find the bridge as great as people told me.

That said I went in July and it was hot,and really crowded.

Cape Town is amazing mind,Camps Bay and Stellenbosch also worth a shout

i agree with @Mr.Thunders - Florence didn't do it for me, too over-run with coach loads of Japanese tourists and street vendors selling fake hand bags etc... ditto Pisa. having come from Assisi & Siena where we had a fantastic time just wandering the old (less bustling) streets probably jaded Florence in its defence.

I thought Florence was class mind,but if I went again would avoid the summer as the tourists you mention did make certain areas irritating.

Agreed re Pisa.Shite

Last edited:
That's it though, people expect just a crack in the ground. It's actually a full blown canyon network.

Taking a helicopter ride over it is the real mind blower. Expensive but worth every penny.

There's a place call Bryce Canyon over in Utah that apparently surprises people when they see it too.
We did Bryce Canyon in the same trip. And Canyonlands Park. All amazing, especially if you appreciate geology. Antelope was my favourite.

Back