More ‘Hundred’ fuckwittery

Status
Not open for further replies.
They've done away with overs so nothing is sacred, I'm convinced the next "innovation" (gimmick) will be a change in scoring. Something like a target at cow corner to hit for bonus runs, or boundaries count double in the a "super golden power play of doom" or some other load of old shit. Anything that can be sponsored and raved about by an overexcited gonk on commentary.
Bit harsh to drag Bumble into this, mind.

I'm sorry but I don't buy this whole notion of this format being littered with "World class stars" as opposed to being bogged down with "Mediocre county journeymen"

Genuine world class cricketers participating in The Hundred
Joe Root
Rashid Khan
Jofra Archer
David Warner
Ben Stokes
Mitchell Starc
Steve Smith
Kane Williamson

Genuine T20 journeymen participating in The Hundred
D'Arcy Short
Alex Hales
Harry Gurney
Luke Wright
Andre Russell
Tymal Mills
Chris Jordan
Aaron Finch
Chris Lynn
Adil Rashid
Sunil Narine
Imran Tahir
Dan Christian
Glenn Maxwell
Eoin Morgan
Mohammad Nabi

Mediocre County Journeyman participating in The Hundred
David Wiese
Nathan Rimmington
John Simpson
Ravi Rampaul
Danny Briggs
Leus Du Plooy
David Payne
Chris Wood
Laurie Evans
Nathan Sowter
Alex Blake
Hardus Viljoen
Marchant De Lange
Wayne Madsen
Jade Dernbach
Luis Reece
Riki Wessels
Chris Cooke
Benny Howell

I've been generous and left out a few there. I've also not included a number of Kolpaks and failed England players.

Don't even get me started on the Local Icon bollocks.
Your calling genuine world class T20 players "journymen", give your head a shake man. I take it you dont like watching exciting cricketers who have 2on numerous games for their teams and country
I hope all these complaining dont watch it as good viewing figures will also make the competition viable.

Last edited:
Your calling genuine world class T20 players "journymen", give your head a shake man. I take it you dont like watching exciting cricketers who have 2on numerous games for their teams and country
I hope all these complaining dont watch it as good viewing figures will also make the competition viable.
I'll watch what I want to be fair.
Rest assured they won't get a penny off me and the wife

I'll watch what I want to be fair.
Rest assured they won't get a penny off me and the wife
So by watching it essentially you are supporting it. I don't think they are targeting you anyway as its out of the area anyway, which imo will be a good thing for Durham and blast attendances

Funny how so many of these world class T20 players do jack in test cricket, the purest and most difficult form of the game. Personally I much prefer that format to T20 franchise cricket where players play for whoever offers them most and slog over cow corner for 3 hours to a short boundary.

So by watching it essentially you are supporting it. I don't think they are targeting you anyway as its out of the area anyway, which imo will be a good thing for Durham and blast attendances
I don't think IPTV viewing figures will be counted. If nowt else on I chance to watch it but rest assured they won't get a penny off me, my wife or nephew who is a new Durham member. County members like myself are getting targeted. I got an email off Durham yesterday saying members get discount for some Northern team. No thanks.
NORTHERN SUPERCHARGERS DISCOUNT FOR MEMBERS AND SEASON TICKET HOLDERS

The countdown to The Hundred begins in earnest today with the unveiling of the competition’s range of early bird ticket prices.

County members and season ticket holders have been given first access to tickets with a dedicated pre-sale window from 15-31 January.

Last edited:
Funny how so many of these world class T20 players do jack in test cricket, the purest and most difficult form of the game. Personally I much prefer that format to T20 franchise cricket where players play for whoever offers them most and slog over cow corner for 3 hours to a short boundary.

Yet the first pick for draft for the hundred and the most expensive player in the IPL were both bowlers, so it’s not about slogging it’s about playing brilliant exciting cricket, the IPL is s poplar and brilliant competition

T20 is highly skilful and highly talented players there is no doubt about, and some of shots played by Stokes in the magic innings on the Ashes had been practiced in T20.

There should be room for both test and T20, but this constant criticism and snobbery towards the shorter form is just well wide of the mark and frankly a insult to the immense talent on show.

There is certainly T20 players who can’t adapt to test cricket but equally there is test cricketers who can’t adapt to T20 so it works both ways!

Last edited:
Plenty of test cricketers who do jack in T20, if thats your format fair enough personally I love all forms and appreciate the skill involved in all forms

Yet the first pick for draft for the hundred and the most expensive player in the IPL were both bowlers, so it’s not about slogging it’s about playing brilliant exciting cricket, the IPL is s poplar and brilliant competition

T20 is highly skilful and highly talented players there is no doubt about, and some of shots played by Stokes in the magic innings on the Ashes had been practiced in T20.

There should be room for both test and T20, but this constant criticism and snobbery towards the shorter form is just well wide of the mark and frankly a insult to the immense talent on show.

There is certainly T20 players who can’t adapt to test cricket but equally there is test cricketers who can’t adapt to T20 so it works both ways!

There’s a proportion of cricket fans, myself included who aren’t snobby towards the shorter form of the cricket, but more concerned about how it’s become the number one priority in the eyes of the authorities and as a result a lot of the things that made cricket great are being neglected. My main priority is the protection of the longer format and The Hundred really does seem another nail in the coffin. Add into that the exemption of Durham amongst other counties and you can see why a number of us aren’t enthused by this tournament and it’s unusual and unnecessary format.

Or is it that there's loads of batters who can howk it for 10-15 balls? Just pick a few hitters, no need for quality.

20 off 8 balls is going to be a good innings more often than not in the 16.4, complete waste of time.

There’s a proportion of cricket fans, myself included who aren’t snobby towards the shorter form of the cricket, but more concerned about how it’s become the number one priority in the eyes of the authorities and as a result a lot of the things that made cricket great are being neglected. My main priority is the protection of the longer format and The Hundred really does seem another nail in the coffin. Add into that the exemption of Durham amongst other counties and you can see why a number of us aren’t enthused by this tournament and it’s unusual and unnecessary format.

I personally think T20 is brilliant entertainment, and comments such as slogging for 3 hours is a insult to the talent on show I really do and does at times come across as snobbery.

Of course I agree the longer format should always be the priority and you are right should always be protected, but rightly or wrongly the world over cricket fans are enjoying the shorter format, and think we need to embrace all the formats for the good of the game.
Or is it that there's loads of batters who can howk it for 10-15 balls? Just pick a few hitters, no need for quality.

20 off 8 balls is going to be a good innings more often than not in the 16.4, complete waste of time.

Whether is a complete waste of time depends on whether it achieves its objective of more people involved in the game.

If it doesn’t then you probably right it it does then it certainly isn’t.

Although I do agree to a certain extent that there is no need for two completions of the shorter format as one is enough, but totally disagree that shorter formats lack quality and is just about slogging, it’s highly talented cricketers of immense quality, especially in competitions like the IPL.

Last edited:
I personally think T20 is brilliant entertainment, and comments such as slogging for 3 hours is a insult to the talent on show I really do and does at times come across as snobbery.

Of course I agree the longer format should always be the priority and you are right should always be protected, but rightly or wrongly the world over cricket fans are enjoying the shorter format, and think we need to embrace all the formats for the good of the game.

Perhaps contrary to my earlier posts, I do enjoy domestic T20 cricket, but greedy authorities have jam packed the calendar at the detriment of other formats and The Hundred is IMO an unnecessary and unwelcome addition that will only damage them further.

Personally I think T20 is bullshit. I watch it when it’s on because it’s cricket on tv. But it’s nothing

I still struggle to understand why championship cricket can’t be on Sky every day in the summer, or even freeview. Most counties broadcast it on the web anyway. Spruce it up and put it on free to air. People will watch it.

Personally I think T20 is bullshit. I watch it when it’s on because it’s cricket on tv. But it’s nothing

I still struggle to understand why championship cricket can’t be on Sky every day in the summer, or even freeview. Most counties broadcast it on the web anyway. Spruce it up and put it on free to air. People will watch it.

People want to watch entertaining cricket with close finishes and big shots been like that for as long as I can remember and T20 brings that with more regularity than any other format.

You only have to look at the IPL in a nation that adores cricket as a religion that cricket fans are attracted to the shorter format.
Perhaps contrary to my earlier posts, I do enjoy domestic T20 cricket, but greedy authorities have jam packed the calendar at the detriment of other formats and The Hundred is IMO an unnecessary and unwelcome addition that will only damage them further.

The Hundred was not needed as we already had the Blast, but what is needed to attract new people to the game is a shorter form of the game, because imo new people will be more attracted to the game watching close finished and big shots, than watching and listening to people talking about good leaves and that the batsman knows where his off stump is!

Last edited:
People want to watch entertaining cricket with close finishes and big shots been like that for as long as I can remember and T20 brings that with more regularity than any other format.

You only have to look at the IPL in a nation that adores cricket as a religion that cricket fans are attracted to the shorter format.
Contrived entertainment works sometimes, but gets boring fairly quickly.

look at the tension and drama of headingley. And Cape Town. You don’t get that in T20

goals in football are celebrated because they have a novelty factor (especially with us), look how dull the NBA is where every attack is meant to be a goal

I’m not naive enough to think that T20 doesn’t have a place. But it’s a bit like saying that books don’t have a place now that twitter exists

Contrived entertainment works sometimes, but gets boring fairly quickly.

look at the tension and drama of headingley. And Cape Town. You don’t get that in T20

goals in football are celebrated because they have a novelty factor (especially with us), look how dull the NBA is where every attack is meant to be a goal

I’m not naive enough to think that T20 doesn’t have a place. But it’s a bit like saying that books don’t have a place now that twitter exists

I don’t see that way, although it could get that way and become overkill, especially now two completions of similar ilk in the same country.

Thought the tension of the World Cup final far outweighed the tension of Cape Town, which I know wasn’t T20 but was overs cricket rather than tests.

Close finishes have always been enjoyable in cricket and T20 brings them more.

I don’t see that way, although it could get that way and become overkill, especially now two completions of similar ilk in the same country.

Thought the tension of the World Cup final far outweighed the tension of Cape Town, which I know wasn’t T20 but was overs cricket rather than tests.

The World Cup final was absolutely an exception. But I can’t think of another ODI in my lifetime that actually got the tension up

Edgbaston 05
Cardiff 09
Thorpe Karachi
Harmison 7-12
Broad 8-15

i could carry on for ages

Whether is a complete waste of time depends on whether it achieves its objective of more people involved in the game.

If it doesn’t then you probably right it it does then it certainly isn’t.

Although I do agree to a certain extent that there is no need for two completions of the shorter format as one is enough, but totally disagree that shorter formats lack quality and is just about slogging, it’s highly talented cricketers of immense quality, especially in competitions like the IPL.

I didn't say slogging. You can't deny though that there's virtually no room for finesse in T20/16.4, batters have to have power to clear the ropes. Clear the front leg and swing, strike rates under 150 are no good. Pointless.

You post this a lot, but short games don't necessarily bring close finishes. Just like most other sports, most games don't go to the last over.

Last edited:
The World Cup final was absolutely an exception. But I can’t think of another ODI in my lifetime that actually got the tension up

Edgbaston 05
Cardiff 09
Thorpe Karachi
Harmison 7-12
Broad 8-15

i could carry on for ages

Think of loads and loads the World Cup semi final between South Africa and Australia the one where when Klusener hit 2 fours of the first 2 balls and then him and Donald ended up at the same end and run out in the last over making the game tied and Australia through to the final had bags and bags of tension as did last years IPL final won by 1 run loads of tension in that.

Plently in the blast finals day as well one particular one between Hampshire and Somerset springs to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back