More ‘Hundred’ fuckwittery

I didn't say slogging. You can't deny though that there's virtually no room for finesse in T20/16.4, batters have to have power to clear the ropes. Clear the front leg and swing, strike rates under 150 are no good. Pointless.

You post this a lot, but short games don't necessarily bring close finishes. Just like most other sports, most games don't go to the last over.

Not trying to be argumentative mate, but I do see finesse, the late cut for example is used plently in T20, some of the innovative and invention shots by the likes of De villers and Buttler have been a joy to watch scoring shots all around the ground over 360 degrees.

Yes I agree there is plenty of slogging but there is finesse as well, as well as quality bowling, some spinners have been particularly successful in the format.

Short games don’t necessarily bring close finishes, but for obvious reasons it happens more regularly in that format than any other,

Some of the most memorable test matches in recent years have been draws where the first 4 days have been a bit of a slow burner.

The issue we are finding with limited overs now is that it’s a bit predictable in that it’s an uneven contest between bat and ball due to larger bats, fielding restrictions, shorter boundaries and the white ball doing fuck all. 400 playing 380 every 50 over game just doesn’t do a lot for me.

Not trying to be argumentative mate, but I do see finesse, the late cut for example is used plently in T20, some of the innovative and invention shots by the likes of De villers and Buttler have been a joy to watch scoring shots all around the ground over 360 degrees.

Yes I agree there is plenty of slogging but there is finesse as well, as well as quality bowling, some spinners have been particularly successful in the format.

Short games don’t necessarily bring close finishes, but for obvious reasons it happens more regularly in that format than any other,

All the same though, contrive a way to try to beat the infield. And shots all around the ground have been played for decades, just we now have more. And more does not equal better.

But this has been done to death, so we'll leave it here. My problem with this new competition is partly the format (mainly getting rid of overs meaning it's not cricket) but more the threat to the future of the County game, and the masses of out and out lies the ECB have spouted to justify it.

I'm sorry but I don't buy this whole notion of this format being littered with "World class stars" as opposed to being bogged down with "Mediocre county journeymen"

Genuine world class cricketers participating in The Hundred
Joe Root
Rashid Khan
Jofra Archer
David Warner
Ben Stokes
Mitchell Starc
Steve Smith
Kane Williamson

Genuine T20 journeymen participating in The Hundred
D'Arcy Short
Alex Hales
Harry Gurney
Luke Wright
Andre Russell
Tymal Mills
Chris Jordan
Aaron Finch
Chris Lynn
Adil Rashid
Sunil Narine
Imran Tahir
Dan Christian
Glenn Maxwell
Eoin Morgan
Mohammad Nabi

Mediocre County Journeyman participating in The Hundred
David Wiese
Nathan Rimmington
John Simpson
Ravi Rampaul
Danny Briggs
Leus Du Plooy
David Payne
Chris Wood
Laurie Evans
Nathan Sowter
Alex Blake
Hardus Viljoen
Marchant De Lange
Wayne Madsen
Jade Dernbach
Luis Reece
Riki Wessels
Chris Cooke
Benny Howell

I've been generous and left out a few there. I've also not included a number of Kolpaks and failed England players.

Don't even get me started on the Local Icon bollocks.
Literally everyone on that list has played in the Blast and the vaat majority of them have played in all 3 competitions.

Your calling genuine world class T20 players "journymen", give your head a shake man. I take it you dont like watching exciting cricketers who have 2on numerous games for their teams and country
I hope all these complaining dont watch it as good viewing figures will also make the competition viable.
Absolutely no chance I'm watching it, mate. If it was being played in the back garden, I'd draw the blinds.

Some of the most memorable test matches in recent years have been draws where the first 4 days have been a bit of a slow burner.

The issue we are finding with limited overs now is that it’s a bit predictable in that it’s an uneven contest between bat and ball due to larger bats, fielding restrictions, shorter boundaries and the white ball doing fuck all. 400 playing 380 every 50 over game just doesn’t do a lot for me.

Yeah see that point, what I don’t like in the modern game is when mishits and top edges still go for 6!

Think that does make it a uneven contest and unfair on the bowler, if he has deceived the batsman.
All the same though, contrive a way to try to beat the infield. And shots all around the ground have been played for decades, just we now have more. And more does not equal better.

But this has been done to death, so we'll leave it here. My problem with this new competition is partly the format (mainly getting rid of overs meaning it's not cricket) but more the threat to the future of the County game, and the masses of out and out lies the ECB have spouted to justify it.

I think more shots around the ground equals more entertainment and think cricket fans well before T20 was a twinkle in anybody’s eye have always preferred watching big shots and sixes been hit, but each to their own, I respect your opinion and like you say it’s been done to death so agree to disagree :D

Last edited:
If you look at a 15-20 year plan the Hundred will benefit England in all formats IF it succeeds in doubling/ trebling/ whatever the number of kids picking up a bat and ball.
Slashing ticket prices at the last minute, 84% negative feedback, exorbitant ticket prices for families, estimated £100m loss over the first 3 years and describing 60% capacity for the tournament as ‘successful’ are not the noises of people with a 15-20 year plan.

I think most people who post on here agree they prefer the purest form of cricket. But The Hundred isn’t really aimed at people like us.

Last edited:
If you look at a 15-20 year plan the Hundred will benefit England in all formats IF it succeeds in doubling/ trebling/ whatever the number of kids picking up a bat and ball.

That excellent point seems lost on most people on this thread,which is what I struggle with, becuase after all most people on these threads are devoting and knowledge cricket fans.

That excellent point seems lost on most people on this thread,which is what I struggle with, becuase after all most people on these threads are devoting and knowledge cricket fans.

Im pretty sure before the T20 started exactly the same conversations were being had. Innovations will help keep the game moving forward. If we only had red ball cricket professionally now I doubt cricket would be in very good shape. Imagine the state some of the grounds would be in.

If the Hundred fails to take off, so be it, but if it’s a success every form of cricket in this country will be a winner.

Last edited:
Im pretty sure before the T20 started exactly the same conversations were being had. Innovations will help keep the game moving forward. If we only had red ball cricket professionally now I doubt cricket would be in very good shape. Imagine the state some of the grounds would be in.

If the Hundred fails to take off, so be it, but if it’s a success every form of cricket in this country will be a winner.

That’s it on here I read many names that it was hit and giggle, pjamaja cricket and nobody cared about it, now you have completions such as the IPL and the Big Blash flourishing.

And now we have most on here actually praising to the hilt the blast in this country a day I thought I would never see!

Last edited:
Giving each county £1.3m this year surely has to be start though?

Been done to death - won’t go close to covering the money they’ll miss out on if it is a success.
That’s it on here I read many names that it was hit and giggle, pjamaja cricket and nobody cared about it, now you have completions such as the IPL and the Big Blash flourishing.

Who on here was saying that in 2005 when T20 was created?

Last edited:
Been done to death - won’t go close to covering the money they’ll miss out on if it is a success.

Who on here was saying that in 2005 when T20 was created?

I get it, you don’t like it. I haven’t decided yet if I do or I don’t. You know why? It hasn’t happened yet so I can’t make considered judgment on it.

Back