Modern headlights are terrible...apparently

Status
Not open for further replies.

noticed more since i went back to an Astra so lights are more or less eye level. Didnt notice it as much in the SUV, which i suppose is the inverse of the problem, along with brighter bulbs a lot of the motors on the road now Jukes, Range Rovers, Quashqai, Freelanders etc the lights are higher off the road and on direct eyeline with folks in "normal" cars. Driving along home last night because of oncoming lights and the darkening effect in front of your own bumper it was impossible to see the road and residing potholes

The worst at the reactive headlights (or whatever they are called) that BMW and a few others run. They dip themselves whenwtraffic is oncoming and shape left or right around bends, but even some headlights that are fixed and are on dipped are ridiculous.
It's made even worse when your car is lower than everything else like mine, I constantly have my rear view mirror dipped on a night as I get blinded from every angle.

They must look at the Pistonheads forum as there was a recent thread about all this on it.
Mine do that. Love it. :lol:

So say the RAC:

“Drivers are being temporarily blinded by modern vehicle headlights, according to an RAC survey.

Two-thirds of drivers say they are "regularly dazzled" by oncoming headlights even though they are dipped, the survey of 2,061 motorists suggests.

I’ve thought this for a while. Seems like every bloody new Audi that goes past blinds with me the ultra bright new headlights. I guess they’re LEDs?

I recently bought an Astra and I’m convinced I’ve got the poorest headlights in Scotland , they are shite. Compared to the big Kia and bmw tractor ‘cars’ I’m terrified going round a bend in the dark as their lights dazzle and mine are hopeless

On full beam mine are good but when dipped omg

The thing is , regardless of a cars headlights ( although I agree totally about newer cars lights ) is the fact that if a car has passengers in the rear seats it automatically raises the height of the cars headlights but drivers don’t compensate for this !

LED headlights are much brighter than halogen ones but the problem is likely to be due to the optional adaptive headlights some car makers have which are on full beam permanently and then the car scans the road ahead for oncoming traffic and they’re supposed to dip. Often doesn’t recognise other cars or road signs.

The thing is , regardless of a cars headlights ( although I agree totally about newer cars lights ) is the fact that if a car has passengers in the rear seats it automatically raises the height of the cars headlights but drivers don’t compensate for this !
So if you've got a car full, you actually adjust your lights to compensate?

So if you've got a car full, you actually adjust your lights to compensate?
Well , the majority of newish ( mine is 2011 ) cars have an adjuster near the headlight switch I think it’s numbered 0 to 6 and that’s there to compensate for heavy weight in the rear of the car , now , do I adjust this switch , no not very often !

Well , the majority of newish ( mine is 2011 ) cars have an adjuster near the headlight switch I think it’s numbered 0 to 6 and that’s there to compensate for heavy weight in the rear of the car , now , do I adjust this switch , no not very often !
Oh I'm fully aware of said switches. It just wouldn't even enter my mind to move it due to loading. fully up all the time. :lol:

I think the other issue is LED daylight running lights. They are often very bright and only meant for daytime use, but often appear very bright at dusk if headlights aren't on.

Last edited:
LED headlights are much brighter than halogen ones but the problem is likely to be due to the optional adaptive headlights some car makers have which are on full beam permanently and then the car scans the road ahead for oncoming traffic and they’re supposed to dip. Often doesn’t recognise other cars or road signs.

Blind corners and crests are when they hit you worst. When you put them on and off yourself you can see cars in the opposite directions lights so you dip them before you see them but these don't, they only do it once the car sees your car's headlights at which point it's too bloody late

I just have mine set as low as they go all the time, I hate getting dazzled by others so attempt never to do it myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back