Millionaires And Billionaires

Find out what actually makes you happy and then plan on getting financial security for that as soon as you can. I always wanted to retire at 50 and did so at 49. A lot of my colleagues on similar and better packages than me are still working - and in a few cases dying whilst still working.
Amen to that.

Unfortunately i am crap at planning ahead!! Or more to the point, keep burying my head in the sand thinking all will be ok.

Fair play to you.

31,000 years, I'm English. The American definition of 1 million is 1,000,000,000 (1 thousand million) the correct English definition is 1,000,000,000,000 (I million million).
And why did we decide to use more electric as in 240 volts versus USA and Europe 110 volts. Unbelievably, over time they've all decided to use more electric by changing to 240 volts :eek:

Why can't the world adopt a 60 volt system and save loads of money?

And why did we decide to use more electric as in 240 volts versus USA and Europe 110 volts. Unbelievably, over time they've all decided to use more electric by changing to 240 volts :eek:

Why can't the world adopt a 60 volt system and save loads of money?
I can't work out if you are joking or not, but that's not how electricity works. It's the wattage of the end products being powered that dictates how much power is consumed, not the voltage of the transmission system.

There would be a whole new level of expectation from you with a lot of people and there’s potential for it to ruin relationships.

If you’d feel like that, why be part of a syndicate? Wouldn’t you just be thankful that you’d won something?
Not if I could have won a share of 50 million instead of 500,000 between numerous people

Millionaires are normally successful business people, billionaires are normally corrupt, evil bastards. You don't get hat rich by not being dodgy.

I can't work out if you are joking or not, but that's not how electricity works. It's the wattage of the end products being powered that dictates how much power is consumed, not the voltage of the transmission system.
You got me :D but I just knew that the ohms law ignorant would think "He's got a point there"

A lot of billionaires have their net wealth tied up in their company which is likely to be their main passion and focus in life which they'll have little interest in selling off for the benefit of others. Granted when they do go liquid, I have no idea why they'd be obsessed with hoarding to themselves just so future people who share a few of their chromosomes get to be entitled little arseholes. I know some people feel Gates is a shift shaping lizard but he seems to have the right idea, build a company up from scratch then when you sell out, give 95% of your cash away saving mosquitos or killing them or whatever.

Put it another way
Or a billion is to a marathon what a million is to 40m metres. The two things are so different it's mad, and the brain really struggles to comprehend numbers that scale up in multiples - we process moving a decimal place as a number doubling rather that 10x and the compounding effect magnifies that.

The human brain is rubbish.

Trouble is, it’s human nature. If you confiscated everything of value from everyone in the UK on 1st January and gave everyone £1m each instead, by New Year’s Eve there would be billionaires and people living on the streets.

Not if I could have won a share of 50 million instead of 500,000 between numerous people
Right, don’t think you said that in your original post, you said you’d be miffed if you won £50mil in a syndicate.

Either way, your chances of winning are increased in a syndicate but if there’s more, smaller prizes instead of one big one, I guess there’d be less syndicates entering.

Back