Millionaires And Billionaires

Anyone in favour of universal basic income where every adult in the U.K. gets a government paid income to ensure no one is utterly destitute?

I think it’s been trialled in other country but probably much smaller ones. Probably a Scandi one.
Hmmm, but then they really have you by the balls

i can categorically state that if i was a millionaire, i'd be the best millionaire that ever lived. i'd spend each and every minute of every day doing good things for myself and the people around me. i'm totally wasted working 60 hours per week.

Aye, I'd be going round putting homeless people in houses, helping them with any treatment, get them trained and into jobs.

Paying for people's education.

Sick bairns needing treatment paying for.

Etc etc.

And I'm a wanker. But I just can't grasp having millions in the bank and not doing it.

They are allowed to go and work for someone else if they don't like it. The sheer fact you're so capable of changing jobs in this country shows that you're not really exploited at all. People know when they take the job that they're going to be on zero hour contracts, so why take the job if you know that's not going to suit you?
Pressure from DHSS? Life ?
Aye, I'd be going round putting homeless people in houses, helping them with any treatment, get them trained and into jobs.

Paying for people's education.

Sick bairns needing treatment paying for.

Etc etc.

And I'm a wanker. But I just can't grasp having millions in the bank and not doing it.
Yep
If everyone had Billions then the economy would need a new means of trade as “money” would have no value.
Obviously. Ok social credit system it is??

Last edited:
Anyone in favour of universal basic income where every adult in the U.K. gets a government paid income to ensure no one is utterly destitute?

I think it’s been trialled in other country but probably much smaller ones. Probably a Scandi one.
Sounds shocking, like a form of communism.

I don't agree that all city centres look the same. It does every town an injustice saying as well. Some cities just simply don't have a reason to exist in the size they are anymore. Sunderland is a prime example. As much as people might complain about the likes of Amazon, they'll all use them regularly or even have an Amazon Prime account. It's convenient and cheaper for everyone. If that wasn't the case, these city high streets would still be thriving because people would choose to go to those shops.

aye you are proving my point exactly. its quicker, cheaper and on the whole much more convenient to buy most things online, usually through amazon. because they have monopolised so much of the market. a massive factor in the downfall of the high street. its not the fault of the consumer - if something is cheaper to buy online, and you don't have to go to the town centre to buy it person, you can order it to your door, of course the vast majority of people are going to take that opportunity. i'm not complaining about it one way or another, its just the way it is. even small places like spennymoor or ashington, 1000s of these places around the country, all got little retail parks with starbucks and mcdonalds etc. on the edge of town, all thriving, whilst the high streets die a death. its natural progression in a capitalist society. endless growth. mcdonalds and starbucks will, as we speak, be looking for their next spot to build their identikit outlets, triggering the death of another small independent coffee shop. thats the way it is in the system that you claim is working very well.

Very little evidence that one or two giant companies will own everything. If you look at which the largest US companies 30 years ago were and 30 years before that, they've all been overtaken. The case will be the same in 30 years' time.

how on earth could it be possible for a company to take over amazon? they are so big its almost unstoppable, they can eat up any competitor before they get a fraction of the size. even if 9 out of 10 aren't profitable, they can buy them all up anyway. in what scenario could amazon not be one of the biggest coorperations in the world in 30 years? they have the entire placed boxed off man

Interesting how many people have different views on how far they could make £1m go, guess it depends if you wanted to live the millionaire lifestyle with it use it to retire and live off, you could get £30k pa interest on £1m currently, enough to live off for most without touching the £1m?

Shrewd investments and that £30k pa grows.

If someone is a billionaire it usually means they have been very successful. I say fair play to them and don’t have any issues with their wealth whatsoever. You usually find that they are philanthropists, donate millions and dedicate large portions of their time to put back into society. Granted, not all of them, but most! I’ve never got the bitterness towards them on here!
I don’t think it is bitterness towards them. It’s probably more bitterness at the system that encourages pay rises and tax breaks for the wealthy while cutting much needed welfare services for the poor. The result is a country where some people have more money than they know what to do with and others sleeping on the streets.
aye you are proving my point exactly. its quicker, cheaper and on the whole much more convenient to buy most things online, usually through amazon. because they have monopolised so much of the market. a massive factor in the downfall of the high street. its not the fault of the consumer - if something is cheaper to buy online, and you don't have to go to the town centre to buy it person, you can order it to your door, of course the vast majority of people are going to take that opportunity. i'm not complaining about it one way or another, its just the way it is. even small places like spennymoor or ashington, 1000s of these places around the country, all got little retail parks with starbucks and mcdonalds etc. on the edge of town, all thriving, whilst the high streets die a death. its natural progression in a capitalist society. endless growth. mcdonalds and starbucks will, as we speak, be looking for their next spot to build their identikit outlets, triggering the death of another small independent coffee shop. thats the way it is in the system that you claim is working very well.

how on earth could it be possible for a company to take over amazon? they are so big its almost unstoppable, they can eat up any competitor before they get a fraction of the size. even if 9 out of 10 aren't profitable, they can buy them all up anyway. in what scenario could amazon not be one of the biggest coorperations in the world in 30 years? they have the entire placed boxed off man
If customers weren’t so lazy and stopped using them. If they used smaller companies that paid their fair share of corporation tax.

I’ll never willingly use Amazon to deliver anything. Obviously I appreciate they’re into bigger things now like web services and cloud servers. I’ll never engage with them directly either as a person or through my business though. (Until / unless they lay a lot more tax).

Last edited:
Interesting how many people have different views on how far they could make £1m go, guess it depends if you wanted to live the millionaire lifestyle with it use it to retire and live off, you could get £30k pa interest on £1m currently, enough to live off for most without touching the £1m?

Shrewd investments and that £30k pa grows.
10% if you carefully invest in res/commercial .

I don’t think it is bitterness towards them. It’s probably more bitterness at the system that encourages pay rises and tax breaks for the wealthy while cutting much needed welfare services for the poor. The result is a country where some people have more money than they know what to do with and others sleeping on the streets.

If customers weren’t so lazy and stopped using them. If they used smaller companies that paid their fair share of corporation tax.

I’ll never willingly use Amazon to deliver anything. Obviously I appreciate they’re into bigger things now like web services and cloud servers. I’ll never engage with them directly either as a person or through my business though. (Until / unless they lay a lot more tax).

It's easier said than done though. If you don't have any disposable income, paying more for things from independent shops isn't a luxury people can afford

It's easier said than done though. If you don't have any disposable income, paying more for things from independent shops isn't a luxury people can afford
True, there is that. The prices are and have to be higher at independent shops.

I’d rather buy fewer things at Indies though than more cheaper stuff with Amazon. Same amount spent overall.

Hypothetical question. Million quid hits your account today.

What do you do with it
Pay of mortgage and add an extension.
200k in a trust fund for the bairn.
Retire, pay myself 4k a month live comfortably on that with some great holidays. Cash in private pension and work pension when I'm able to (4 years).
Reduce what I recieved from the 4k I was paying myself.

It's bonkers really and the more the rich has, the more they seem to want. And by being rich, it gives them access to power and the ability to influence things in their favour even more - just check the Tory donor list, it's right there in plain sight.

I'd even say this is a problem on a global scale - all the countries competing to become stronger and more powerful. There seems to be very little appetite for a collective way of working together which would be to the benefit of every country. Too many humans with power aspirations unfortunately.

Back