Millionaires And Billionaires

It's far too much money for one person and it would bring its own set of problems, you're wide open for blackmail, extortion and it would be hard to gauge what anyone's motives are.

Why not make 50 millionaires or give 100 people £500k? That's a life changing amount for pretty much everyone and is a far more manageable.
My first wife was worth $5million American dollars, it didn't change my life much as we lived within our means and ignored what she was worth in assets.
We divorced in 1997 so I suppose today that would be about $15-$20 million.

Last edited:
How could they do that in a randomly drawn lottery though ?
Well that’s blown a hole in my plan :lol:

I’m sure they could find a way of doing it, might be harder to sell tickets though without the big prize
My first wife was worth $5million American dollars, it didn't change my life much as we lived within our means and ignored what she was worth in assets.
We divorced in 1997 so I suppose today that would be about $15-$20 million.
Are you saying £500k isn’t a life changing amount? It would pay off a mortgage for an awful lot of people, with plenty left over.

Last edited:
Well that’s blown a hole in my plan :lol:

I’m sure they could find a way of doing it, might be harder to sell tickets though without the big prize

Are you saying £500k isn’t a life changing amount? It would pay off a mortgage for an awful lot of people, with plenty left over.
No, I was agreeing with what you said, it wouldn't change everyones lives and gave you an example.

They’ve already done that and it still results in the odd few winners getting over £5m. in the UK lottery and clearly much more in the Euro lottery.

"significantly" alter the way the prize money is divided up across the dividends as the jackpots mount up :lol:

It's far too much money for one person and it would bring its own set of problems, you're wide open for blackmail, extortion and it would be hard to gauge what anyone's motives are.

Why not make 50 millionaires or give 100 people £500k? That's a life changing amount for pretty much everyone and is a far more manageable.
If the prize was 50million, I’d be pretty miffed if my winning ticket was actually a shared syndicate. So my slice of the pie gets sliced again.

£4 million is the new £1 million

Yep, if you include property and pension funds there will be several million millionaires in the UK but they won't be living anything like what is considered a "millionaire" lifestyle. You probably need £4-5m these days to be really financially independent.

That would probably the scariest factor for me...loved for your material wealth is no love at all :(
There would be a whole new level of expectation from you with a lot of people and there’s potential for it to ruin relationships.
If the prize was 50million, I’d be pretty miffed if my winning ticket was actually a shared syndicate. So my slice of the pie gets sliced again.
If you’d feel like that, why be part of a syndicate? Wouldn’t you just be thankful that you’d won something?

Last edited:
It's a very complex system. I mean no one needs billions (though you can be a millionaire now and it doesn't guarantee your set for life unless your wise with money).

However one of the problems with most billionaires are that they are billionaires on paper but don't have it in their bank.

So you could put an upper limit on how much money you have and it would likely filter down and effect the working classes more negatively than the billionaire because let's say you did it to Amazon owner Jeff Bezos and he's likely just to say ok then we'll just get rid of a few warehouse and the like to balance it out and then a load of people lose jobs and their livelihood.

Obviously it would be nice for them to just take the hit on their own cash but its unlikely ain't it, being greedy ***** is what got them billions in the first place.

Read a while back that the 'thrillionaire' is a new thing, which is that someone with £3M can now life comfortably enough without working. Less than that and it's back to the office on Monday.
Sounds about right. 500k for a house. 2.5 mill invested could get you 125k a year. Most of us could easily live on half of that and re-invest the rest to protect capital and against inflation.

Ok we all want to better ourselves and have enough money to live comfortably.

Have enough to leave to our children or loved ones etc. To make their lives a bit easier as they grow up.

Why do a very minority have millions and BILLIONS?

What do they actually want?
It becomes like a drug.

The more you have ,the more you want. In many cases, not all.

Sounds about right. 500k for a house. 2.5 mill invested could get you 125k a year. Most of us could easily live on half of that and re-invest the rest to protect capital and against inflation.
Imagine winning £50 million and giving away £49 million to good causes. You'd become the most succesfull and probably most content Lottery winner of all time. There's kudos and there's kudos if you get my drift.

It becomes like a drug.

The more you have ,the more you want. In many cases, not all.
Find out what actually makes you happy and then plan on getting financial security for that as soon as you can. I always wanted to retire at 50 and did so at 49. A lot of my colleagues on similar and better packages than me are still working - and in a few cases dying whilst still working.

Back