Michelin Star Restaurants

We went to the Coach in Marlow a week or so ago. This is Tom Kerridge’s other Michelin restaurant in Marlow in Buckinghamshire. I’ve been several times before (get me) and it never fails to deliver. One of the things I love about it is that you can watch the food being cooked depending on which seat you’re offered. TBH I prefer the Coach to the Hand and Flowers although its “only” 1 star versus the H and F which is 2. I’ve always felt that the H and F was over priced for what it delivered, certainly its not that much better than the Coach, well in my opinion but not in the Michelin Inspectors of course.

The Coach, like the H and F, is a pub but in this case much more like a traditional pub with normal pub food albeit at a 1 star standard. You can’t pre-book but only book on the day which is great for planning visits.

I had a chat with the lady chef who was in charge and asked whether the star was awarded for the establishment or to the chef. She would be drawn but laughed saying they get visited once a year and as shed not been there a year she could really claim the start. She said this would change soon as they were expecting another Michelin visit in the foreseeable future.

If your passing or nearby its recommended.
“there’s no such thing as a Michelin-starred chef”

Not heard of Pine before but just looked on their website and it looks the dogs. How does it compare to Hjem?

Saying that, no fancy places for me till next Feb as I have to save up for L’Enclume.

Pine was just as good as Hjem I thought. Probably enjoyed it more if I had to pick.

Went to House of Tides last, first time doing any kind of tasting menu nevermind Michelin star type.

Was excellent, really enjoyed it, completely different to anything I've ever experienced before. One of the courses was Monkfish and Mussels in a fishy sauce with bits and bobs on (it was described a bit better by the fella) and was lovely.

Think we might try a few other of the tasting menu places in Newcastle, likes of Peace & Loaf and that Dobson and Parnell like, I know they've got good names (albeit not any stars)

Went to House of Tides last, first time doing any kind of tasting menu nevermind Michelin star type.

Was excellent, really enjoyed it, completely different to anything I've ever experienced before. One of the courses was Monkfish and Mussels in a fishy sauce with bits and bobs on (it was described a bit better by the fella) and was lovely.

Think we might try a few other of the tasting menu places in Newcastle, likes of Peace & Loaf and that Dobson and Parnell like, I know they've got good names (albeit not any stars)

I was really disappointed with peace and loaf when I went. For the price difference I thought the gulf in class between there and house of tides was enormous.

I was really disappointed with peace and loaf when I went. For the price difference I thought the gulf in class between there and house of tides was enormous.
Aye? Always thought it had a good rep like, maybes I was wrong, not exactly a full fledged foodie like so my finger isn't on the pulse.

Aye? Always thought it had a good rep like, maybes I was wrong, not exactly a full fledged foodie like so my finger isn't on the pulse.

It wasn't necessarily bad, just seemed a fair way off the quality of House of Tides and when we went there wasn't a great difference in price if memory serves right. May have just been an off night for them of course.

Totally agree with this. House of Tides has been superb both times we've been. Peace and Loaf was really average the once we went. Really enjoyed Dobson and Parnell though and been meaning to go back.

I’m getting married in the Lake District in August next year and on the way home i want to call at a restaurant for lunch, got a reservation confirmed for forest side, but any other recommendations greatly appreciated. Recently tried Hyem and loved it so another tasting menu is what we are looking for. Cheers

I’m getting married in the Lake District in August next year and on the way home i want to call at a restaurant for lunch, got a reservation confirmed for forest side, but any other recommendations greatly appreciated. Recently tried Hyem and loved it so another tasting menu is what we are looking for. Cheers
We did the forest side in June. Only a four course tasting menu for lunch on a Sunday but by far and away the best we’ve had.

The food was class but also the dining room overlooking the gardens, the ambience, even the background music.

You’ll enjoy it, we’re going there again in October when we’re back over there.

Enjoy! We did.

We did the forest side in June. Only a four course tasting menu for lunch on a Sunday but by far and away the best we’ve had.

The food was class but also the dining room overlooking the gardens, the ambience, even the background music.

You’ll enjoy it, we’re going there again in October when we’re back over there.

Enjoy! We did.

Cheers mate appreciate the advice

Cheers mate appreciate the advice
They do a six course tasting lunch menu for £85 but to be honest, we were there on a £45 deal the wife (no) saw on instagram. Despite her wanting to upgrade I just thought I’d savour them value.

The cocktails are wine were also very reasonably priced.

They do a six course tasting lunch menu for £85 but to be honest, we were there on a £45 deal the wife (no) saw on instagram. Despite her wanting to upgrade I just thought I’d savour them value.

The cocktails are wine were also very reasonably priced.

I’ll be driving unfortunately mate otherwise i’d been amongst the wine and cocktails

L’Enclume

We’ve often popped up to Edinburgh for the day on the train and picked off some of the starred restaurants on a dinner time had some more drinks then the train back.

Not sure on current prices but the Kitchin for example was very accessible and relatively cheap compared to going on a night. Don’t quote me but let’s say it was £45. I’ve just had a look and it’s now £52 so that was about right.

Staying on Ripon Racecourse this weekend so had a look to see what was around and surprised to find it so easy to get a table for any night at Shaun Rankin at Grantley Hall.

Now see why, although it’s a very attentive and professional service, it also seems to be quite dated in its approach especially when dining alone.

One to bring the missus for a special occasion or a potential side chick to eventually get your fingers wet, but the service is being done to fit the surroundings and not with the current climate.

The food however is outstanding and up there with the many, many restaurants I’ve had the pleasure of dining in.

Back