Michelin Star Restaurants

Looking at taking the wife somewhere special for our anniversary meal, but some of the prices are astronomical. For example, the Raby Hunt starts at £220 each, and then £125 each for wine on top. That’s £690 for a dinner. Surely there is no culinary experience on earth worth that amount of money? A meringue?

Has anyone on here done any of these, and are they worth it? We could go abroad and get a fantastic meal somewhere in Europe for the price.

That’s madness. Maybe because of the competition but gan to London there’s loads do lunch menus for less than 50 a head. It’s not the a la carte it’s a select menu but still great. Then drinks on top of course. But don’t be paying 600 like!

Is it a bit odd that he’s doing more courses, for more money and arguably looks to be gunning for a star at new premises so close to his other restaurant… which is already a star? Or is it just me
Maybe he thinks it’s gone a little stale at HoT? And he thinks he’s got the staff to keep it at one star whilst chasing this for more?

Maybe he’s going straight for 2? Is that allowed or do you need to have one star first before progressing?

I’ve been several times to HoT some my choice and some not mine but obviously happy to go. I definitely think it got one star and stayed the same culinary wise and hasn’t got better (not a criticism). I’ve also eaten in other starred or two starred restaurants for example the Kitchin (3 times) and AOC in Copenhagen so feel I can compare fairly but certainly no expert.

Not read the whole thread but has anyone tried Gymkhana in Mayfair?
I'm going with a group of people next month.
It looks good but I'm normally a one dish curry type rather than tasting menus etc.

You’ll enjoy it as they don’t overload you.
Maybe he thinks it’s gone a little stale at HoT? And he thinks he’s got the staff to keep it at one star whilst chasing this for more?

Maybe he’s going straight for 2? Is that allowed or do you need to have one star first before progressing?

I’ve been several times to HoT some my choice and some not mine but obviously happy to go. I definitely think it got one star and stayed the same culinary wise and hasn’t got better (not a criticism). I’ve also eaten in other starred or two starred restaurants for example the Kitchin (3 times) and AOC in Copenhagen so feel I can compare fairly but certainly no expert.

Sat here tonight and other than opening night jitters, it’s heading straight for at least one and as it’s only open midweek he is going to be here overseeing everything, gives him his weekends free with his trustworthy staff at HoT but my feel is this is a push for the two stars, he does seem reenergised with a new challenge.
So a bit more of a review of the evening…

The menu that’s put out gives you the main ingredient only, so you don’t start getting mental images of what the dish will look like.

If doing the wine pairing, it doesn’t start until after the palate cleanser and you get into the main dish. So you go through around 6 snacks before the first wine comes along, a couple of the dishes are paired with the same wine but they quickly came out and topped you up if necessary.

The kitchen is pretty much open and if you’re on the lower level you get to see the inner workings. 14 covers is definitely the maximum and speaking to Kenny there are no plans to offer multiple sittings.

Like Hjem, the chefs deliver the food to the table and explain the dishes, so the serving style is definitely more like a chefs table experience. Maybe that is part of the thinking behind it as I don’t think the building House of Tides is in would be able to offer that.

The food is very technical and made with the very best of ingredients, which is why I think even without the star the price point fits. Aiming for the stars early it is best to set the price so it can hold if it’s attained rather than set a price with a view to increase it later.

It’s a very different atmosphere in there to House of Tides and due to the small number of covers, there are potentially just as many staff as there are diners.

There was a lot of attention to detail in the decor, choice of cutlery and crockery which all added to the experience.

Wish them all the success with it.

Last edited:

Sat here tonight and other than opening night jitters, it’s heading straight for at least one and as it’s only open midweek he is going to be here overseeing everything, gives him his weekends free with his trustworthy staff at HoT but my feel is this is a push for the two stars, he does seem reenergised with a new challenge.

The menu that’s put out gives you the main ingredient only, so you don’t start getting mental images of what the dish will look like.

If doing the wine pairing, it doesn’t start until after the palate cleanser and you get into the main dish. So you go through around 6 snacks before the first wine comes along, a couple of the dishes are paired with the same wine but they quickly came out and topped you up if necessary.

The kitchen is pretty much open and if you’re on the lower level you get to see the inner workings. 14 covers is definitely the maximum and speaking to Kenny there are no plans to offer multiple sittings.

Like Hjem, the chefs deliver the food to the table and explain the dishes, so the serving style is definitely more like a chefs table experience. Maybe that is part of the thinking behind it as I don’t think the building House of Tides is in would be able to offer that.

The food is very technical and made with the very best of ingredients, which is why I think even without the star the price point fits. Aiming for the stars early it is best to set the price so it can hold if it’s attained rather than set a price with a view to increase it later.

It’s a very different atmosphere in there to House of Tides and due to the small number of covers, there are potentially just as many staff as there are diners.

There was a lot of attention to detail in the decor, choice of cutlery and crockery which all added to the experience.

Looks cracking from the pics.

Hjem tonight for me 🍽

Aye 3 or 4 times, known MO’H for yonks.

It’s pretty mental like, very unlike any other starred place I’ve been to.

Me and the kids love it, the Mrs struggles as tends to be raw / seafood heavy which is deffo not her cup of tea :)

Enjoy it mate
Might sound daft but is there a dress code for this?

Looks cracking from the pics.

Hjem tonight for me 🍽

Just back from Hjem - 3 hours plus dining with about 16 courses. Absolutely outstanding, friendly, relaxed and in a cracking setting.

Very seafood based with two lobster, crab, oyster, mackerel and eel. Slight criticism that I’d have preferred another meat dish but that said, some of the standouts were the likes of the eel and lobster.

Enjoyed the experience much more than House of Tides earlier in the year and will go back in a heartbeat. I’d put pics up if I knew how but am a techie numpty 🤣.

its not a progressive thing. A new restaurant can be given however many stars its felt they deserve by Michelin, established restaurants can lose their stars, or they can inrease them.
Stars are awarded only for the food, the service and decor can be shite, but its the food that's judged.

Hmm, was thinking that L'Enclume would have been our last for a while but looking at your photos I can feel a change of heart coming on.

Just back from Hjem - 3 hours plus dining with about 16 courses. Absolutely outstanding, friendly, relaxed and in a cracking setting.

Very seafood based with two lobster, crab, oyster, mackerel and eel. Slight criticism that I’d have preferred another meat dish but that said, some of the standouts were the likes of the eel and lobster.

Enjoyed the experience much more than House of Tides earlier in the year and will go back in a heartbeat. I’d put pics up if I knew how but am a techie numpty 🤣.

The issue I found with Hjem was the wine pairing, you didn’t know whether you were coming or going with it as one glass could cover 3 dishes or you get a fresh glass for the next course, as you don’t have a menu in front of you to follow either.

Just a minor thing.
its not a progressive thing. A new restaurant can be given however many stars its felt they deserve by Michelin, established restaurants can lose their stars, or they can inrease them.
Stars are awarded only for the food, the service and decor can be shite, but its the food that's judged.
Service and Decor are noted but the star as you say is about the food and the consistency of that food judged across a number of visits. An inspectors job eating out twice a day, sounds good

Last edited:
Just a minor thing.

Service and Decor are noted but the star as you say is about the food and the consistency of that food judged across a number of visits. An inspectors job eating out twice a day, sounds good
From the Michelin guide:
“Restaurant inspectors do not look at the interior decor, table setting, or service quality when awarding stars”

Service and decor are rated using the fork and spoon symbol - I.e separate from the food and not counting towards the award, or not, of stars.

From the Michelin guide:
“Restaurant inspectors do not look at the interior decor, table setting, or service quality when awarding stars”

Service and decor are rated using the fork and spoon symbol - I.e separate from the food and not counting towards the award, or not, of stars.

Not sure why the need to reply, I agreed with you, I said they are noted by the inspectors but the star itself is to do with the food.

Personally I rarely go in for the wine pairing. Last time I did was at Pine in February and I felt like it was the weakest part of the offering. Small glasses and some stuff like sake which went ok with the particular dish but a bit abrasive within the whole experience.

I generally would let the sommelier know what we like in a bottle of red / white and get them to recommend something that comes closest to pairing with most of the dishes on the menu. Tends to be the lighter / fish dishes at the beginning ( bottle of white ) getting richer and more suited to a glass or two of red at the end. I'm not afraid to say what I'd be happy to pay either (never more than £50, usually more like £35-40) - a good sommelier won't make you feel intimidated into buying a bottle with a high mark up.
Very delayed reply but cheers for this - we're booked in to go next week and think we're going to do that, just get a nice bottle between us and advise them what we like and go from there. I fear the pairings would be wasted on us (in particular, me) and if we enjoy the meal it's something we can consider if we do another michelin star at some point.

Not heard of Pine before but just looked on their website and it looks the dogs. How does it compare to Hjem?

Saying that, no fancy places for me till next Feb as I have to save up for L’Enclume.

We went to the Coach in Marlow a week or so ago. This is Tom Kerridge’s other Michelin restaurant in Marlow in Buckinghamshire. I’ve been several times before (get me) and it never fails to deliver. One of the things I love about it is that you can watch the food being cooked depending on which seat you’re offered. TBH I prefer the Coach to the Hand and Flowers although its “only” 1 star versus the H and F which is 2. I’ve always felt that the H and F was over priced for what it delivered, certainly its not that much better than the Coach, well in my opinion but not in the Michelin Inspectors of course.

The Coach, like the H and F, is a pub but in this case much more like a traditional pub with normal pub food albeit at a 1 star standard. You can’t pre-book but only book on the day which is great for planning visits.

I had a chat with the lady chef who was in charge and asked whether the star was awarded for the establishment or to the chef. She would be drawn but laughed saying they get visited once a year and as shed not been there a year she could really claim the start. She said this would change soon as they were expecting another Michelin visit in the foreseeable future.

If your passing or nearby its recommended.

Back