Michelin Star Restaurants

I'm booked in to Solstice, Kenny Atkinson (House of Tides) new venture, on Thursday looking forward to it.
Is that in Newcastle? Will check that.

L’Enclume has just released its dinner reservation dates for early 23.
Is that in Newcastle? Will check that.

L’Enclume has just released its dinner reservation dates for early 23.
Just looked - like the sound of that. He’s gunning for another star.

Last edited:
Got our lass a House of Tides voucher for birthday for us both to go one night, we've never done Michelin star or even that type of fine dining so figured be a nice treat and experience for us.

For those more well-versed in this sort of thing, is it worth paying by the money for the right wines? Like, does it add much to the meal or would we be better off just getting what we want to drink on (beer, normal bottle between us, cocktail etc.....)

Got our lass a House of Tides voucher for birthday for us both to go one night, we've never done Michelin star or even that type of fine dining so figured be a nice treat and experience for us.

For those more well-versed in this sort of thing, is it worth paying by the money for the right wines? Like, does it add much to the meal or would we be better off just getting what we want to drink on (beer, normal bottle between us, cocktail etc.....)
I like having the paired wine with each dish as you're unlikely to get a bottle that goes with everything on a tasting menu. However, check the number of wines and size of the pour and what you get beforehand if possible. The last one we did worked out horrendous value as it was all the cheapest wines when we worked it out afterwards.

It depends on the place and how good the sommelier and chef are, some places use the pairing to get rid of wine.

House of Tides stopped doing the pairing for a while, think they lost their sommelier during lockdown as even though they were doing dine at home collection and deliveries they were only doing wines by the bottle (subject to availability). So it’s good to see them have the pairing on again.

Didn’t realise that I’d managed to get myself in on opening night of Solstice, looking forward to it and will be going for the pairing.
£140 without a star is pricey.

Based on the Instagram photos and the selection of ingredients, I don’t think it’ll be without one for long.

Personally I rarely go in for the wine pairing. Last time I did was at Pine in February and I felt like it was the weakest part of the offering. Small glasses and some stuff like sake which went ok with the particular dish but a bit abrasive within the whole experience.

I generally would let the sommelier know what we like in a bottle of red / white and get them to recommend something that comes closest to pairing with most of the dishes on the menu. Tends to be the lighter / fish dishes at the beginning ( bottle of white ) getting richer and more suited to a glass or two of red at the end. I'm not afraid to say what I'd be happy to pay either (never more than £50, usually more like £35-40) - a good sommelier won't make you feel intimidated into buying a bottle with a high mark up.

Thank god the clutch went on the motorhome and I had to drop it off at the garage and his diary was open on Wednesday 6th July, otherwise I would have had the expense of missing out on my prepaid booking for Solstice and a new clutch.

For some reason had it in my head that the 6th was tomorrow.

enjoy and report 👍

never ate a michelin stared place... had to google what a sommelier was, suspect it would all be wasted on me if i ever did.

Had my first ever Michelin star meal at Marcus Wareing ( when it was still 2* ) roughly five year ago. The idea of it had intimidated me beforehand tbh and I couldn’t afford it before that point anyway, even if I did fancy it. Didn’t help that the man himself was in celebrating a birthday with his wife and kids - I thought fuck is this what it’s always like, having to eat food I can’t pronounce and handle a wine list the size of the yellow pages sat opposite the chef :lol::lol:

It’s like a hobby for me and my wife now. Something we both really enjoy and make time for. Give it a punt, I’ve got 30 odd recommendations for ya!

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought this when I looked a week or so ago and be honest it put me off slightly.

Arguably ‘star-worthy’ food given his reputation and don’t think it’ll put people off.

Again a week or so ago you could get reservations for Friday and Saturday nights in late august (2 people).

Is it a bit odd that he’s doing more courses, for more money and arguably looks to be gunning for a star at new premises so close to his other restaurant… which is already a star? Or is it just me

Has any one been to the man behind the curtain in Leeds?

Going down this weekend.

I went when it first got it’s star, surreal walking through a closed clothing store. Enjoyed most of it but couldn’t get away with the raw prawn dish or the hand massaged octopus. But that was more me.
Is it a bit odd that he’s doing more courses, for more money and arguably looks to be gunning for a star at new premises so close to his other restaurant… which is already a star? Or is it just me

Less covers though, once word fully gets around then it’ll be like when Heron and Grey first opened, got their first star quickly, Heron left it became Liath and now sits on two stars.

I assume there was still time on his lease from Violets so had the building, must have got the backing so maybe he is now looking for somewhere to potentially get two stars which would be a first for Tyneside.

If he’s around tonight I’ll ask him, used to have a bit crack when he would deliver my weekly menu during lockdown.

Last edited:
Not read the whole thread but has anyone tried Gymkhana in Mayfair?
I'm going with a group of people next month.
It looks good but I'm normally a one dish curry type rather than tasting menus etc.

Has any one been to the man behind the curtain in Leeds?

Going down this weekend.
Aye 3 or 4 times, known MO’H for yonks.

It’s pretty mental like, very unlike any other starred place I’ve been to.

Me and the kids love it, the Mrs struggles as tends to be raw / seafood heavy which is deffo not her cup of tea :)

Enjoy it mate

Back