Michelin Star Restaurants

Staying on Ripon Racecourse this weekend so had a look to see what was around and surprised to find it so easy to get a table for any night at Shaun Rankin at Grantley Hall.

Now see why, although it’s a very attentive and professional service, it also seems to be quite dated in its approach especially when dining alone.

One to bring the missus for a special occasion or a potential side chick to eventually get your fingers wet, but the service is being done to fit the surroundings and not with the current climate.

The food however is outstanding and up there with the many, many restaurants I’ve had the pleasure of dining in.
Her indoors is really wanting to stay and eat at Grantley Hall, we did the raby hunt and although we found it a tad overpriced we enjoyed the experience but the Grantley Hall prices just seem absolutely extortionate.

Staying on Ripon Racecourse this weekend so had a look to see what was around and surprised to find it so easy to get a table for any night at Shaun Rankin at Grantley Hall.

Now see why, although it’s a very attentive and professional service, it also seems to be quite dated in its approach especially when dining alone.

One to bring the missus for a special occasion or a potential side chick to eventually get your fingers wet, but the service is being done to fit the surroundings and not with the current climate.

The food however is outstanding and up there with the many, many restaurants I’ve had the pleasure of dining in.
I like the look of the food that I've seen Shaun Rankin cook on TV programmes and had a look at the prices at Grantley Hall. I thought 'stuff that for a game of soldiers'.

After suggestions - going to see Les Mis with Mrs DownTheWing on Wednesday and would like to go for an early tea somewhere nice. Preferably a bit out the way, doesn't have to be starred but a bit better than pub grub. Happy to travel a bit. Cheers

Booked a table in Solstice for my wife's christmas present. Anyone been here yet? Reviews look great.
You’ll enjoy it as they don’t overload you.

Sat here tonight and other than opening night jitters, it’s heading straight for at least one and as it’s only open midweek he is going to be here overseeing everything, gives him his weekends free with his trustworthy staff at HoT but my feel is this is a push for the two stars, he does seem reenergised with a new challenge.
So a bit more of a review of the evening…

The menu that’s put out gives you the main ingredient only, so you don’t start getting mental images of what the dish will look like.

If doing the wine pairing, it doesn’t start until after the palate cleanser and you get into the main dish. So you go through around 6 snacks before the first wine comes along, a couple of the dishes are paired with the same wine but they quickly came out and topped you up if necessary.

The kitchen is pretty much open and if you’re on the lower level you get to see the inner workings. 14 covers is definitely the maximum and speaking to Kenny there are no plans to offer multiple sittings.

Like Hjem, the chefs deliver the food to the table and explain the dishes, so the serving style is definitely more like a chefs table experience. Maybe that is part of the thinking behind it as I don’t think the building House of Tides is in would be able to offer that.

The food is very technical and made with the very best of ingredients, which is why I think even without the star the price point fits. Aiming for the stars early it is best to set the price so it can hold if it’s attained rather than set a price with a view to increase it later.

It’s a very different atmosphere in there to House of Tides and due to the small number of covers, there are potentially just as many staff as there are diners.

There was a lot of attention to detail in the decor, choice of cutlery and crockery which all added to the experience.

Wish them all the success with it.

Just saw this. Sounds promising :cool:

Last edited:
Booked a table in Solstice for my wife's christmas present. Anyone been here yet? Reviews look great.

Just saw this. Sounds promising :cool:

I went for a second visit, I was on the lower deck so had a better view into the kitchen which was good as I was dining alone.

I’ve been invited to do a cooking masterclass / experience by Kenny at some point where I spend the day in the kitchen at HoT. I’ll forewarn anybody when we finally arrange it to make sure you’re not getting anything I’ve made.

Sounds good. Hope you enjoy it. I’ve been fancying a London sojourn to Myrtles. Anyone been?

I was at her venture at the Conrad in Dublin a couple of weeks back, really enjoyed that as it really celebrated local Irish ingredients and flavours.
Not Michelin starred but I can recommend Coarse in Durham. 40 odd quid for 6 courses. It's really good and good value.

That’s on my list to visit, sounds like it is built on the same ethos as Six by Nico in terms of value.

I was at her venture at the Conrad in Dublin a couple of weeks back, really enjoyed that as it really celebrated local Irish ingredients and flavours.
That’s what appeals, mam was from County Clare and although she boiled everything to mush she has imparted a love of Irish ingredients in me!

That’s what appeals, mam was from County Clare and although she boiled everything to mush she has imparted a love of Irish ingredients in me!

She done all of her training under Derry Clark at L’Ecrivain, which unfortunately closed it’s doors (planned before lockdown) as they’d fallen out of love with the pressure associated with “Michelin Stars”. That was my favourite Dublin restaurant and the starting point for many great Irish Chefs.

Looking forward to seeing them start again at a new venture soon, for some it’s the challenge to get the stars that drives them - maintaining them can be a struggle though.

I was surprised to learn on my last visit that The Greenhouse which gained its second star in 2020 has shut down.

She done all of her training under Derry Clark at L’Ecrivain, which unfortunately closed it’s doors (planned before lockdown) as they’d fallen out of love with the pressure associated with “Michelin Stars”. That was my favourite Dublin restaurant and the starting point for many great Irish Chefs.

Looking forward to seeing them start again at a new venture soon, for some it’s the challenge to get the stars that drives them - maintaining them can be a struggle though.

I was surprised to learn on my last visit that The Greenhouse which gained its second star in 2020 has shut down.
To be honest I often prefer simple but really good ingredients food. In Ireland my favourite meals have probably been clams at Linnanes lobster bar, seafood chowder at the Monks head pub and fish and chips on Inis Mor where the chips were cooked in dripping and the batter of the fish flecked with seaweed. Simple but sensational sat outside in a nice day by the wild Atlantic coast.

Yes
U.K. had equivalent shell guides but not for food

UK have the equivalent AA Rosette system.

Michelin Guide started to get people out driving into the country a lot more to try out restaurants a bit further afield, therefore doing more miles and needing more tyres.

Just a big marketing thing that took off.

Back