Michael Vaughan

Moeen comment was ill thought out, can't see how it's racist though tbh.

Alleged comment to Rafiq - I could easily see that being made with jocular intentions and he's put his foot in it. That's the line he should have gone with even if he genuinely doesn't think he made the comment.
First. Baffled you can’t see it

second. I’m sure it was, I’ve commented similar. Doesn’t excuse it

If it was 20 years ago, and even then it would have been evidently wrong with half a brain, there is no nice way of interpreting Vaughan's comments. He has been captain of Yorkshire and England and eas in a position of power, influence and authority. That defence was wibbled out in the eighties. If I had said that to somebody at work at the same time I'd have been sacked. Nothing he says now ameliorates it. He is trying to save his image and broadcasting career and is not motivated by anything else. He might have had a role if he had co-operated with the enquiry and had immediately owned up and asked for examples of his exemplary behaviour and attitudes to be considered (unfortunately his major personal, public engagement is via Twitter and that might have scuppered that). Anyone who apologises to " anyone I might have offended" is automatically denying their actions.

I could see somebody making a comment like that in an overly-familiar, jocular way - cringeworthy, foot in mouth stuff but it doesn't necessarily mean the person who said it is a racist who discriminates against Asian people.

I could see somebody making a comment like that in an overly-familiar, jocular way - cringeworthy, foot in mouth stuff but it doesn't necessarily mean the person who said it is a racist who discriminates against Asian people.
I understand what you are saying, that the friendship and familiarity is so close that these expressions can become an ongoing joke in a small, tight group, said with irony, but I don't really see that, especially in the context of some of Vaughan's other comments and the fact that what he has said is being cited as part of the problem. In addition he would have explained that when challenged and wouldn't have pretended not to remember and it would mean Rafiq was being entirely malicious.

‘I don’t recall saying it. But three people have said I did and I’ll accept what they are saying and they have no reason to lie. I can only apologise as it’s very obviously a ridiculous thing to say. Upon reflection, I’ve also put out some absurd tweets in the past without careful thought in the heat of the moment. I’ve been very thoughtless and regret that but can assure people there was no racist intent. I’ve learned a lot in recent weeks and will think before speaking or publishing and temper my language accordingly’.
Linky?!

Interesting re the 'Steve' thing - I wonder what people think about the Chelsea players calling Cesar Azpilicueta 'Dave' and whether that makes them all disgusting racists?

Interesting re the 'Steve' thing - I wonder what people think about the Chelsea players calling Cesar Azpilicueta 'Dave' and whether that makes them all disgusting racists?
No, because one is embraced and accepted. The other he clearly disliked and asked both publically and also privately for them to stop and they didn't.

Just watched the interview with Walker. Hardly putting his feet to the flames but even so, the bit where he just plainly puts the tweet about Moeen Ali to Vaughan in his own words makes him look absolutely f***ing backward. It's almost funny

I don’t mind Swann, he’s a bit like the annoying mate who wants to make a joke out of everything but I think he’s fundamentally a good lad. One of the few who was prepared to be quite vocal about Pietersen in the Sky documentary that was on not so long back, out of loyalty to Cook and others.
Also, somebody needs to have a quiet word with him to explain that the endless comedy 'accents' aren't actually funny.

Back