Michael Vaughan

Agree with this like. the problem is even when on commentary he's only actually talking eloquently about cricket half the time at best, the rest of the time he's playing up to his laddish seemingly totally false persona. i say seemingly false because frankly h's not very good at it. which is imo what makes him come across as a bellend. if he just stuck to what he's good at, cricket, he's very insightful and, as you say, informative. a great listen at times, a nightmare at others
Reminds me of this article from ages ago. Geoff Lemon has it stop on about commentators in general Just not cricket – how Channel Nine are destroying a legacy | Geoff Lemon

What is not being widely circulated is the other accusation that Rafiq made against Vaughan.According to the Guardian. In the report Rafiq claims that when he retired (Vaughan) he took up a position as advisor and would often come to YCCC giving his opinion and captain-coach options "which were particularly aimed at moving me out of the team" One such option was that Kane Williamson be signed as he bowls off-spin as well.

Call me a racist if you like but if I was picking a fantasy T20 team Williamson would be high up on my list. Its a fact of life for any sportsman, it doesn't matter how good you are, the power that be are always trying to find someone who is better than you.

Reminds me of this article from ages ago. Geoff Lemon has it stop on about commentators in general Just not cricket – how Channel Nine are destroying a legacy | Geoff Lemon
Good read that thanks. Longer then I expected but still spot on 6 years later.

Quote, "But there’s a reason that it’s great to sit around with a bunch of mates and talk shit among yourselves, and boring to sit next to someone else’s bunch of mates while they talk shit among themselves. In-group banter is inherently dull to the world it excludes." Sums up the Vaughan, Swann, Warne etc approach to commentating for me.

Imagine a team with Vaughan and Swann in, what a pair of kernts

I think Vaughan will eventually release a statement saying he doesn’t recall saying it, but he’s sorry if anything he did say was taken like that

Whether that’s too little, too late…

Good read that thanks. Longer then I expected but still spot on 6 years later.

Quote, "But there’s a reason that it’s great to sit around with a bunch of mates and talk shit among yourselves, and boring to sit next to someone else’s bunch of mates while they talk shit among themselves. In-group banter is inherently dull to the world it excludes." Sums up the Vaughan, Swann, Warne etc approach to commentating for me.
It captures that whole approach to sports radiio so well, Radio 5's football is awash with it.

I liked

Grown men call each other Tubby and Binga and Slats, not as nicknames but a full-time mode of address. The guffaw is king. It’s all about being the matiest mates who ever mated.

I think Vaughan will eventually release a statement saying he doesn’t recall saying it, but he’s sorry if anything he did say was taken like that

What he should of done in the first place and he’d of more thank likely of been forgiven

What he should of done in the first place and he’d of more thank likely of been forgiven
Of course. Typical Vaughan - took a gamble when it was just his word v Rafiq. He couldn't have known for certain he didn't say that and got all indignant despite the fact that in a heartbeat he can suggest Moeen should be challenging random Muslims on the street to check if they are terrorists or suggest he needs to learn another language to go London. He would deny this type of stuff if it wasn't written in black and white. He was banking on other supporting Rafiq's claim.

That's how I feel about Shane Warne and Graeme Swann as commentators too. They have a great knowledge of the game and clear passion to know what's going on around the world in the sport, not just the top nations or test cricket like some of the older commentators. But the laddish persona can be really nauseating.

I've yet to hear any of this from swann, he's just all 'banter' for me like

Your wish, etc.

Vaughan doing a really good job of showing everyone how not to handle something like this.

The latest episode being agreeing to an interview with one of your mates, who also happens to be one of the easy going bbc presenters, yet still managing to come out of it looking even less credible.
Inclined to agree, pretty awkward. His body language is not great and it’s telling when asked ‘is he embarrassed’ about the tweets, he shakes his head while saying “absolutely”.

It’s sad to see, I’ve always been a big fan of his and his role in 2005 cemented his legendary status for me, so like Monty I can’t reconcile that person with the man he’s perceived as today.

Last edited:
He couldn't have known for certain he didn't say that and got all indignant despite the fact that in a heartbeat he can suggest Moeen should be challenging random Muslims on the street to check if they are terrorists or suggest he needs to learn another language to go London.

There is so much hatred on this forum for the man who dragged England out of the cricketing basement and took us to the top of the pile captaining us to the greatest ever Ashes victory in the process. The cancel culture is alive and well on this forum.

As a matter of interest he didn't "suggest" Moeen should be challenging random Muslims on the street to check if they are terrorists as he was asked the question whether Moeen could do more in the fight against terrorists and he just answered "yes" Likewise his comment that he needed to learn another language to go London was purely a light hearted throwaway bit of humour.

I assume that Monty Panesar's comments in The Telegraph article were written under duress and therefore should be discounted as we all know that Michael Vaughan is an acolyte of Tommy Robinson as we read it on these boards

There is so much hatred on this forum for the man who dragged England out of the cricketing basement and took us to the top of the pile captaining us to the greatest ever Ashes victory in the process. The cancel culture is alive and well on this forum.

As a matter of interest he didn't "suggest" Moeen should be challenging random Muslims on the street to check if they are terrorists as he was asked the question whether Moeen could do more in the fight against terrorists and he just answered "yes" Likewise his comment that he needed to learn another language to go London was purely a light hearted throwaway bit of humour.

I assume that Monty Panesar's comments in The Telegraph article were written under duress and therefore should be discounted as we all know that Michael Vaughan is an acolyte of Tommy Robinson as we read it on these boards
Moron

You don't half post some utter drivel.

Hatred? Thinking someone is an absolute whopper isn't hatred.

Adil,.. If it's going help our kids future
and environment become a safer place
then YES

Adil Ray OBE © @adilray
Michael what do you want Moeen to do? In
between test matches go around asking
Muslims he doesn't know if they're a
terrorist?

No. He was asked the question are you seriously suggesting that Moeen should be challrnging random Muslims in the street to ask if they are terrorists. To which he replied ‘Yes’ if it keeps us safe. A comment which he had said today he is ashamed of. He is equally ashamed of the London comment, fair play to Vaughan for that but if you think it’s lighthearted banter then shame on you. How brilliant he was as a captain is absolutely neither here nor there but I would argue that it was Hussain and Fletcher who lifted us from the cricketing basement.

Back