Mental Health - general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you ever had a conversation with a counsellor or anything?
Plan to, but at the moment it's a no-go isn't it?
At the minute it just seems like one hit after another. Good mates dying, trying to look after my ma with the dementias, lost my job, trying desperately to avoid the drink and failing....just... aaaaaargh!

Last edited:

At the minute it just seems like one hit after another. Good mates dying, trying to look after my ma with the dementias, lost my job, trying desperately to avoid the drink and failing....just... aaaaaargh!
It's just life unfortunately and you are certainly not alone mate. My Mam died 2 years ago with Dementia and my Dad is going through the same shit now with not long to go. He's in a care home and I can't visit him, but risked it on Saturday just to wave at him through the window :( Lost the job/contract as well a few weeks back due to this virus and yeah its f***ing soul destroying.
Still, the sun is out and so are the coppers, so everyday make a plan of things that need doing even if it is just taking a walk somewhere, plan it, do it, fill bits of your day. Yes it's easy to sit in the house and drink or smoke some bifters just to pass the time, but the result is you feel aaarrggghhh and it makes you feel mentally worse. Today I cleaned out the back patio and garage - monster job that needed to be done for 2 years but do I feel better now? Yeah! so now it's Tyskie time as I deserve one and feeling mentally fresh, especially after getting a spelk and skinning my knuckles. Forgot all about my woes today and enjoyed being out there.

It's just life unfortunately and you are certainly not alone mate. My Mam died 2 years ago with Dementia and my Dad is going through the same shit now with not long to go. He's in a care home and I can't visit him, but risked it on Saturday just to wave at him through the window :( Lost the job/contract as well a few weeks back due to this virus and yeah its f***ing soul destroying.
Still, the sun is out and so are the coppers, so everyday make a plan of things that need doing even if it is just taking a walk somewhere, plan it, do it, fill bits of your day. Yes it's easy to sit in the house and drink or smoke some bifters just to pass the time, but the result is you feel aaarrggghhh and it makes you feel mentally worse. Today I cleaned out the back patio and garage - monster job that needed to be done for 2 years but do I feel better now? Yeah! so now it's Tyskie time as I deserve one and feeling mentally fresh, especially after getting a spelk and skinning my knuckles. Forgot all about my woes today and enjoyed being out there.
Thanks mate. I am calm for a while then I have to sign forms for for the employer that finished me with no notice and no redundancy after 11 years - while keeping lads on that have only been there 2 years as they are USA citizens and therefore qualify for severance. Today I got a 'sign this now if you want your final two weeks pay - mind you won't get it for between 2 weeks and a month ..' The f***ing *****.

That's a lot to deal with man, a lifetime's worth. PM if you want to chat anytime, not a counsellor though.

I'd be sure there's online stuff available like, I'll ask about if you want.

That's a lot to deal with man, a lifetime's worth. PM if you want to chat anytime, not a counsellor though.

I'd be sure there's online stuff available like, I'll ask about if you want.
Thanks mate, I am speaking to my GP regularly. Unfortunately, I am more inclined to just bull through it. Doesn't always work.

Thanks mate, I am speaking to my GP regularly. Unfortunately, I am more inclined to just bull through it. Doesn't always work.

Id read that book like, a lot of it made sense and not just for folk who want to go teetotal, for folk looking to just cut back too(thank ferk!;)).

Really hard not to feel melancholy about the whole situation. Seeing headlines like "Prime Minister in Intensive Care" do nothing to alleviate this feeling. Been cooped up for 3 weeks now and it's hard to take all of this in

I’ve had small time mental health stuff in my life, fortunately nothing too serious. My learning from it was control what you can, contribute if you can and ignore the rest. It’s worked for me during this situation, I don’t watch the news and only ask the wife if owt big is happening, otherwise I stick to the rules and blank the rest of it. Shit is happening and watching the news, death toll and stuff is not good for mental health, stick to the rules and fuck the rest of it off.

final day of work so goodbye the small bit of normality i had and semblance of routine...furloughed from tomorrow so still 80% wage

hearing a couple of folk i loosely knew are struggling in hospital... Even the news Boris being admitted into intensive care was a gut punch

and on top of this anxiety i know it's not that bad for me... and there is an impending sense of dread kicking about the back of my mind that this could quickly get a whole lot worse on a personal level

strange times we are living in

Feels weird “liking” this post but it’s simply because I agree with what you’re saying.
Yeah, I understand. I think as a society there's going to need to be a real conversation about trauma and its effects because we might not see them in many people for years. It's proven that trauma in childhood can in turn cause difficult behaviours in the rest of life so there's going to need to be some real compassion and empathy displayed over the next couple of decades as we see all sorts of fall out from this. And that's on top of the PTSD suffered by the heroes in the frontline.

Sorry to butt in on this but I do have some experience as my husband drank heavily- I think it was really a form of self medicating for depression. His GP and other doctors were really good and we all tried hard to support him. He tried treatment but he enjoyed drinking too much to give it up and unfortunately it did not end well. Please try to at least reduce your intake - this probably isn’t the best time to try this as you’re going through a rough patch and I understand you feel the need for a drink. It’s just that things health wise got really bad for my husband and if your doctor can offer you a reasonable alternative it would really be better in the long run. I’d hate to think of you and your family going through that. It seriously wasn’t nice for him or us. Good luck and all the best no matter what .

Its 2.14 am when im starting this post. Im posting the time as a reference to how long it might take me to finish it. I wont edit the time.

This is very hard....and ive wrote this out countless times (mainly on the depression thread on rtg), and deleted it. I dont think i was ready to talk.

I got a call from CAMHS about 3 years ago to tell me my daughter, then 15, was under their care, and had been for 12 months. They contacted me as an emergency as she was contemplating suicide. They explained what had been going on, (she consented to this phone call) and where she was at mental health wise. I really had no idea of any of this, so to say it came as a shock would be an understatement. The last three years have been a battle. Ive seen the self harm, the attempts, the cries for help. She has been, or rather we both have, been much more open. Its made for a very hard family life....ive tried to be the glue that held us together, but its been f***ing hard. She was always "my little princess", and i was always her hero, a typical father daughter relationship i guess. Ive lost count of the sleepless nights ive had....it seems like a recurring bad dream. Ive even seen her suicide note ffs, though she doesnt know this. She has had help, and she has really improved over the last few months, but its really taken its toll on me now.
My line manager, and work in general, have been fantastic. I work in a care environment (think cancer and daffodils), so are very pro-active in relation to mental health. I have been offered, and have taken, various support mechanisms, which have helped. The biggest help though, for me, was actually saying to my wife that i needed help, which, in hindsight, she had been saying to me for ages...i just hadnt listened.

Sometimes though, help can come from the strangest places......

A poster on another forum posted a Happy Easter message. My reply to that message has led me to (hopefully) posting, and not deleting, this on here now.

This was my reply....

"Happy Easter to you ********, and everyone else.

Im not religous at all, but i work in a cancer care hospice, and the hospice's chaplain held a short Easter service on thursday in what we call "the reflection room". Its a very calming room with a rock sphere water feature, which makes constant water flow noises. Its a place where any visitors, relatives, staff can go if they want a bit peace and quiet.....a bit of time for reflection. With the current situation, we only have essential staff in, and tbh, its been quite surreal. Im not frontline, (chef) but going up the ward area, and seeing the nurses....colleagues....in all the PPE (we have x1 positive, and x3 suspected covid19), its been quite emotional at times. Anyway, i went to the service, there was only about 12 people there, and it was literally 15 minutes long, but i found it really uplifting. I cant explain why, as i said i am not religous at all, but it was exactly what i needed at that time. I thought of my family, i shed a tear, and said a few words to myself...a prayer? Maybe.

I was a bit down last week, and as the week wore on, i couldnt wait till end of my shift on thursday afternoon. Im off now till Tuesday, and where on thursday morning i couldn't wait for my shift to finish, i now cant wait to get back on Tuesday.

What im getting at here is that one persons words (religous or not) and the manner in which she spoke those words completely changed my mood......massively.

Stay safe everyone., because everyone matters".

My daughter is doing well, really well. She's not 100% ok, nowhere near, but as i now know, its ok not to be ok.

Its now 3.14 so "only" took me an hour to write this out. Im now going to bed, do i post it, or do i delete it?

3.19am now ..5 minutes of thinking here!!

Fuck it.....post.

Goodnight all, stay safe, stay well.

Its 2.14 am when im starting this post. Im posting the time as a reference to how long it might take me to finish it. I wont edit the time.

This is very hard....and ive wrote this out countless times (mainly on the depression thread on rtg), and deleted it. I dont think i was ready to talk.

I got a call from CAMHS about 3 years ago to tell me my daughter, then 15, was under their care, and had been for 12 months. They contacted me as an emergency as she was contemplating suicide. They explained what had been going on, (she consented to this phone call) and where she was at mental health wise. I really had no idea of any of this, so to say it came as a shock would be an understatement. The last three years have been a battle. Ive seen the self harm, the attempts, the cries for help. She has been, or rather we both have, been much more open. Its made for a very hard family life....ive tried to be the glue that held us together, but its been f***ing hard. She was always "my little princess", and i was always her hero, a typical father daughter relationship i guess. Ive lost count of the sleepless nights ive had....it seems like a recurring bad dream. Ive even seen her suicide note ffs, though she doesnt know this. She has had help, and she has really improved over the last few months, but its really taken its toll on me now.
My line manager, and work in general, have been fantastic. I work in a care environment (think cancer and daffodils), so are very pro-active in relation to mental health. I have been offered, and have taken, various support mechanisms, which have helped. The biggest help though, for me, was actually saying to my wife that i needed help, which, in hindsight, she had been saying to me for ages...i just hadnt listened.

Sometimes though, help can come from the strangest places......

A poster on another forum posted a Happy Easter message. My reply to that message has led me to (hopefully) posting, and not deleting, this on here now.

This was my reply....

"Happy Easter to you ********, and everyone else.

Im not religous at all, but i work in a cancer care hospice, and the hospice's chaplain held a short Easter service on thursday in what we call "the reflection room". Its a very calming room with a rock sphere water feature, which makes constant water flow noises. Its a place where any visitors, relatives, staff can go if they want a bit peace and quiet.....a bit of time for reflection. With the current situation, we only have essential staff in, and tbh, its been quite surreal. Im not frontline, (chef) but going up the ward area, and seeing the nurses....colleagues....in all the PPE (we have x1 positive, and x3 suspected covid19), its been quite emotional at times. Anyway, i went to the service, there was only about 12 people there, and it was literally 15 minutes long, but i found it really uplifting. I cant explain why, as i said i am not religous at all, but it was exactly what i needed at that time. I thought of my family, i shed a tear, and said a few words to myself...a prayer? Maybe.

I was a bit down last week, and as the week wore on, i couldnt wait till end of my shift on thursday afternoon. Im off now till Tuesday, and where on thursday morning i couldn't wait for my shift to finish, i now cant wait to get back on Tuesday.

What im getting at here is that one persons words (religous or not) and the manner in which she spoke those words completely changed my mood......massively.

Stay safe everyone., because everyone matters".

My daughter is doing well, really well. She's not 100% ok, nowhere near, but as i now know, its ok not to be ok.

Its now 3.14 so "only" took me an hour to write this out. Im now going to bed, do i post it, or do i delete it?

3.19am now ..5 minutes of thinking here!!

Fuck it.....post.

Goodnight all, stay safe, stay well.

3.47am I read it and I'm so happy that your daughter is doing well and you took the time to post your thoughts.

Enjoy your break and my very best wishes to you and yours. Stay safe. 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back