Mental Health - general discussion

I feel better this week than I did last week which is strange as I thought I'd feel worse the longer it went on. I think I am just sort of realising things have to be different for now and taking one day at a time. I am actually talking to my friends and parents more than I usually do, not seeing them obviously apart from video calls, but we are talking more. Sometimes I went days without seeing or talking to anyone apart from my kids, now I make the effort to talk to my friends and family every day. I am just making the best of it for however long it goes on. No doubt I will still have 'down' days but hopefully not too many and those days will pass.
Stick in everyone and stay safe, it won't last forever.

I feel better this week than I did last week which is strange as I thought I'd feel worse the longer it went on. I think I am just sort of realising things have to be different for now and taking one day at a time. I am actually talking to my friends and parents more than I usually do, not seeing them obviously apart from video calls, but we are talking more. Sometimes I went days without seeing or talking to anyone apart from my kids, now I make the effort to talk to my friends and family every day. I am just making the best of it for however long it goes on. No doubt I will still have 'down' days but hopefully not too many and those days will pass.
Stick in everyone and stay safe, it won't last forever.
How you doing for shopping? Have you managed to get what you need?

How you doing for shopping? Have you managed to get what you need?

Luckily I managed to book a couple of deliveries, one from Sainsburys that was delivered yesterday and one from Asda that's coming next week, so am absolutely fine for now. I also got a big box of fruit and veg delivered from Chester Road grocers so have made up and froze a load of dinners for my disabled daughter with them.
Hope you're doing ok.

Luckily I managed to book a couple of deliveries, one from Sainsburys that was delivered yesterday and one from Asda that's coming next week, so am absolutely fine for now. I also got a big box of fruit and veg delivered from Chester Road grocers so have made up and froze a load of dinners for my disabled daughter with them.
Hope you're doing ok.
Great news. That'll be a relief for you. Yes, grand here, debating whether it's too early to crack open the wine :lol:

Up and down here too. I just feel like I'm stagnating at home and I miss all the things I used to enjoy doing.
I've had a couple days where I've been visiting people and after helping them with meds, food personal care etc they often just go to sleep.

I would go home and come back later in these circumstances but I want to reduce transmission opportunities as much as possible so with their permission I've just stayed with them, had a cuppa and listened to the radio for a few hours while they kip. Once you get used to a slower pace its surprising how quickly or at least gently time can pass doing very little.

I would go home and come back later in these circumstances but I want to reduce transmission opportunities as much as possible so with their permission I've just stayed with them, had a cuppa and listened to the radio for a few hours while they kip. Once you get used to a slower pace its surprising how quickly or at least gently time can pass doing very little.
You're right about this, the time seems to be flying some days.

Have to admit I'm starting to struggle. Suffered depression in the past and whole thing starting to take its toll.

Not seen Mother for three weeks, sister and nephews for three weeks, wife since 23rd March. Make matters worse, they've split the staff at work and all the ones I'm close to (only 3) are on other shift pattern. Never felt this isolated in my life, just the mutt for company.

been ok last few days, now I feel rough as all hell today. Proper twitchy and nervous I am even tempted to even get on the tablets. Haven't been on them for ages.

One thing that's stressing me, on top of the worries about the virus itself, is when you get other issues that you can't address because of it.

Long story short I've been an idiot, a filling fell out in February and I didn't get round to booking in with the dentist. Typically 2 days ago its become painful. Looked online and you can only visit for certain emergencies including bleeding, massive swelling or facial trauma so I'm sat worrying about how long it'll be before I can try and get it looked at.

On top of that, about a week before the tooth became sore I found something on the right side of my neck like a lump or a swelling under the skin. Again, normally that could entail a trip to the doctors but they aren't doing appointments at the minute. I've now thought that maybe it's a swollen lymph node which can be caused by an infected tooth, and its on the same side as the bad tooth, so the two might be linked, but you know what it's like when you look at Google and see the other things that could cause it. Just frustrating when you can't get either issue looked at. Appreciate that many have it much, much worse, but things like this just worry you on top of everything else. Just want everything back to normal

This. I deleted Facebook on my phone. Still check it occasionally on the computer, but only once every couple of days. Feel much better already. You don't need constant reminding of mass hysteria.

Also if deleted, you can still use messenger.

Me lass suffers from anxiety and this is making her really worried that something will happen to us or the kids who are both very young. am still working and she is wanting me to say she has symptoms and ring in work to isolate but ad feel so shit doing it when thats not the case.

Me lass suffers from anxiety and this is making her really worried that something will happen to us or the kids who are both very young. am still working and she is wanting me to say she has symptoms and ring in work to isolate but ad feel so shit doing it when thats not the case.
If after that fortnight passes either of you actually got symptoms you'd be really up the creek as well

Well here is my two pennorth. As is widely known on this board I am a very heavy drinker. I have been controlling it by not drinking when I have to go to work, but as of 24th March I got the bullet by my US employer as they cleverly worked out that me being an international employee meant that they don't have to give me severance pay after 11 years unblemished service. Since then, I have gone over the top to the point when I had a 'whitey' and my wife called other family members down to try and calm me despite the lockdown. I have had a long talk with my doctor on the phone this morning, and he agrees we have a big problem but he is here to help (lovely bloke). He advised me NOT to stop drinking, but cut it back by 2 or 3 beers a day until maybe next week some medication might work. What my wife took from this was 'Right, have no drink until Friday, and we will have a few then' - completely missing the point. I am on beer 7 today and f***ing sick of this.

Very honest post.

Stick in folks. Ive been canny positive thru this for no other reason than Ive got a mrs, 3 kids n wider family to keep chipper.
I worry theres many on here devoting their ample spare time to the virus, no good. Watch the news say once a day n speak to as many folk as possible.
Discovered zoom last week, ‘night in’with mates living allover on friday, family n friends quiz Saturday.
I think having work to do at home even for just 3 hours mon-fri it gives a weekend vibe. Determined to keep very active when the work dries up somehow ie. my garage is like steptoe n sons.
Ouro, was going to recomend the alcohol experiment but goes against what the doc says.

Last edited:
Well here is my two pennorth. As is widely known on this board I am a very heavy drinker. I have been controlling it by not drinking when I have to go to work, but as of 24th March I got the bullet by my US employer as they cleverly worked out that me being an international employee meant that they don't have to give me severance pay after 11 years unblemished service. Since then, I have gone over the top to the point when I had a 'whitey' and my wife called other family members down to try and calm me despite the lockdown. I have had a long talk with my doctor on the phone this morning, and he agrees we have a big problem but he is here to help (lovely bloke). He advised me NOT to stop drinking, but cut it back by 2 or 3 beers a day until maybe next week some medication might work. What my wife took from this was 'Right, have no drink until Friday, and we will have a few then' - completely missing the point. I am on beer 7 today and f***ing sick of this.
Brave of you to speak up mate. I had a friend who was prescribed sedatives to come off booze because he was drinking so heavily - I think that might be what the doctor plans for you? How much are you drinking when you do drink? PMs always open for a chat.

I am doing better than I have in years, but I'm on sertraline at the moment due to depression from before this all kicked off. I'm trying to exercise every day, hang out with my son and support the missus because she is struggling. I am a heavy drinker when I drink, definitely far too much and I know this. I am managing to stay sober during the week but Saturday and Sunday were hard work and I drank far too much. My aim for this is to try and get sober... Not sure if I'll be able to do it.
Ouro, was going to recomend the alcohol experiment but goes against what the doc says.
I might give this a go.

Last edited:
Brave of you to speak up mate. I had a friend who was prescribed sedatives to come off booze because he was drinking so heavily - I think that might be what the doctor plans for you? How much are you drinking when you do drink? PMs always open for a chat.

I am doing better than I have in years, but I'm on sertraline at the moment due to depression from before this all kicked off. I'm trying to exercise every day, hang out with my son and support the missus because she is struggling. I am a heavy drinker when I drink, definitely far too much and I know this. I am managing to stay sober during the week but Saturday and Sunday were hard work and I drank far too much. My aim for this is to try and get sober... Not sure if I'll be able to do it.

Frankly mate, I can and have panelled 10 pints before our lass comes in from work and she doesn't even know I have had a drink. Problem is, I enjoy my nights out and all of my social life revolves around bars. I don't want to stop, I just wish I had an off switch.

Frankly mate, I can and have panelled 10 pints before our lass comes in from work and she doesn't even know I have had a drink. Problem is, I enjoy my nights out and all of my social life revolves around bars. I don't want to stop, I just wish I had an off switch.
Sounds similar issue to me except I have managed to avoid getting to the point you're at marra. I have talked to my missus about it, and had to have a very frank conversation about my problem. I'm presuming you have done that already with your lass?

Sounds similar issue to me except I have managed to avoid getting to the point you're at marra. I have talked to my missus about it, and had to have a very frank conversation about my problem. I'm presuming you have done that already with your lass?
Yes, I had an 'intervention' last week. That hurt. Family members etc. I couldn't explain why I drink all the time. Still can't other than it 'makes life easier'

Back