McGeady

Status
Not open for further replies.

From an outside perspective, it still doesn't look like a great move.

He's 33, and on big money. If he's signing a new contract, est case scenario for you is that he's re-signing for this year only on a reduced wage. If not, it means he'll be with you until he's 35 or older. As good as he was last season, he's still an old, injured winger, who wont get into your team if you're promoted.

If you got rid of him, you could have got a few good players in with that money. As it is, you'll likely be paying him as much (or more), just over a longer period time, which feeds the narrative that Donald doesnt have the money to run the club and is trying to save money now and hope he can get investment to pay it later.
You’ve no idea what he’s earning. He was signed in the Championship when our austerity under Short was already in full flow.

Plus, if we’ve halved his wage but doubled the length of his contract as you suggest then we’ve lost nothing. It can only be a gain.

Embleton & McGeady signing new contracts with Willis coming in would be an excellent weekend for us :cool:

Just need McLaughlin tied down now and then imo just 3 new signings, a new attacking centre midfielder, new winger and new striker.
Will need another left back once Oviedo leaves aswell I imagine, agreed though the squad is taking shape now.

Wasnt just him tbf, loads jumped on it and “heard the same”

Ridiculous man
I agree. But if we needed to cut costs then the club looking to off load as a plan B would make sense. When you look at it from that way it made sense from the clubs point of view. So halving his wages over 2 years suits both parties.

I wouldn't sign him to a two year contract for a higher wage than any of our existing players, no.

If any club wanted him for the money he wanted, he'd have been gone.
You have no idea on that either.
Just because your club had a shitty owner does not make you the oracle on all things at our club as you seem to have appointed yourself.

And is still injured. Missed the start of last season, and missed games last season due to I jury as well, from memory.

He played 35 games last season. He had two injuries. First injury he suffered in pre season which kept him out for the first 2 months but then played in every game until he broke his foot after a tackle against Accrington in April.

Wouldn't say injury prone at all.

True though:cool:

I'm biased, so I think Lowe and Clarke from our team last year were better, and played more games. He may be better than our left winger, Curtis, but Curtis is 10 years younger and I reckon will be outperforming him by the end of this season.
:lol:
Aye, but you’re also the lad that thinks Downing is better than Willis and that Raggett has a wealth of experience at league one level.

He wasn't the best player in the league last year...

I'm not sure how paying extra money to a player after your last parachute payment t is doing that...
Cashflow marra. You should probably remember that little issue from a few years back

:lol:
Aye, but you’re also the lad that thinks Downing is better than Willis and that Raggett has a wealth of experience at league one level.
I'll stick with Downing being better than Willis, and admit I fucked up saying Raggett was more experienced at a higher level :neutral:

He played 35 games last season. He had two injuries. First injury he suffered in pre season which kept him out for the first 2 months but then played in every game until he broke his foot after a tackle against Accrington in April.

Wouldn't say injury prone at all.
Just checked, he missed a game because of injury in December, not sure of any others to be fair, but that's still 3 I juries in a season.
You have no idea on that either.
Just because your club had a shitty owner does not make you the oracle on all things at our club as you seem to have appointed yourself.
Fair enough - In my opinion, if any club wanted to pay him the money he wanted, he'd have left. I'm pretty confident that's the case, based on everything else at the club. Having shitty owners in the past doesnt make me the Oracle, but it certainly brings alarm bells.

Cashflow marra. You should probably remember that little issue from a few years back
That's fine if there's a plan, but not if you're just pushing it down the line hoping theres a solution. That's how clubs go out of business, when there's nowhere else to turn.

Last edited:
Thay still plays into the narrative that Donald doesnt have the money to run the club this year, and will leave you with an injury prone 35 year old who will probably be the league's highest earner by far.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Why do people entertain this stupid mag twat, he'll have never been to Portsmouth in he's life.

He's 33, and on big money. If he's signing a new contract, est case scenario for you is that he's re-signing for this year only on a reduced wage. If not, it means he'll be with you until he's 35 or older. As good as he was last season, he's still an old, injured winger, who wont get into your team if you're promoted.

If you got rid of him, you could have got a few good players in with that money. As it is, you'll likely be paying him as much (or more), just over a longer period time, which feeds the narrative that Donald doesnt have the money to run the club and is trying to save money now and hope he can get investment to pay it later.

Well he'd absolutely walk into your team at 33, so I'd rather he was here tearing defenders apart as a Sunderland player.

Hes halved his wages, who does that these days? He's a class act and that's all there is to say about him.

Fan of rival promotion chasing team says it's not a good move the best player in the league is staying with us.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

No point in debating the pompy lad. Anyone can clearly see that McGeady is one of the best in the league and would be an asset for any team in it. Appears he is on massively reduced terms now too.

Hes the best player in the division for me. Dug us out of tight spots on numerous occasions last season with a moment or two of quality.

Just checked, he missed a game because of injury in December, not sure of any others to be fair, but that's still 3 I juries in a season.

Fancy spending a Saturday morning looking up the injury stats of a SAFC player while being a Portsmouth fan. :neutral:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back