McGeady

From an outside perspective, it still doesn't look like a great move.

He's 33, and on big money. If he's signing a new contract, est case scenario for you is that he's re-signing for this year only on a reduced wage. If not, it means he'll be with you until he's 35 or older. As good as he was last season, he's still an old, injured winger, who wont get into your team if you're promoted.

If you got rid of him, you could have got a few good players in with that money. As it is, you'll likely be paying him as much (or more), just over a longer period time, which feeds the narrative that Donald doesnt have the money to run the club and is trying to save money now and hope he can get investment to pay it later.

A winger who was never blessed with pace, so age isnt as big a factor as you would think.

As for not getting in our side if promoted, he will still be one of the first on the teamsheet.

From an outside perspective, it still doesn't look like a great move.

He's 33, and on big money. If he's signing a new contract, est case scenario for you is that he's re-signing for this year only on a reduced wage. If not, it means he'll be with you until he's 35 or older. As good as he was last season, he's still an old, injured winger, who wont get into your team if you're promoted.

If you got rid of him, you could have got a few good players in with that money. As it is, you'll likely be paying him as much (or more), just over a longer period time, which feeds the narrative that Donald doesnt have the money to run the club and is trying to save money now and hope he can get investment to pay it later.

Or he has signed for an extra year but on half the wages.
No extra cost for the club but get him for an extra year.

Or he has signed for an extra year but on half the wages.
No extra cost for the club but get him for an extra year.
Thay still plays into the narrative that Donald doesnt have the money to run the club this year, and will leave you with an injury prone 35 year old who will probably be the league's highest earner by far.

Thay still plays into the narrative that Donald doesnt have the money to run the club this year, and will leave you with an injury prone 35 year old who will probably be the league's highest earner by far.
No it doesn’t. It plays into the ‘narrative’ that the club is getting its running costs down to a level that is sustainable post parachute payments - as has been their open intent from day one.

True though:cool:

I'm biased, so I think Lowe and Clarke from our team last year were better, and played more games. He may be better than our left winger, Curtis, but Curtis is 10 years younger and I reckon will be outperforming him by the end of this season.
FFS :lol:

True though:cool:

I'm biased, so I think Lowe and Clarke from our team last year were better, and played more games. He may be better than our left winger, Curtis, but Curtis is 10 years younger and I reckon will be outperforming him by the end of this season.

Curtis is absolutely f***ing shit man!!

And still the leagues best player
He wasn't the best player in the league last year...
No it doesn’t. It plays into the ‘narrative’ that the club is getting its running costs down to a level that is sustainable post parachute payments - as has been their open intent from day one.
I'm not sure how paying extra money to a player after your last parachute payment t is doing that...

Last edited:
In @Speedy1976 defence we could have been touting him around. If we need to trim the squad and cut back on wages it would make sense. I'd imagine both side had a plan B. McGeady is going on 34 and he won't get a better deal at a better club in Britain than us. If the only clubs interested were in the MLS then it might have played a part. He was unhappy in Moscow and might not have fancied a move aboard. Also the wages in the MLS aren't great. It might not have been worth the extra the coin.

But Ross staying was the key factor. If we sacked him McGeady and McLaughlin would have left.
Wasnt just him tbf, loads jumped on it and “heard the same”

Ridiculous man

It might play to that narrative but he's still the best player in the league.

Injury prone? The lad broke his foot and still played on for a month or so.

He played 41 games last season. Don't make things up. It's sounds as though you're upset by the news, not surprised.

Curtis is absolutely f***ing shit man!!

Curtis was awful in the playoffs. Totally over-rated.

Back