McGeady

True though:cool:

I'm biased, so I think Lowe and Clarke from our team last year were better, and played more games. He may be better than our left winger, Curtis, but Curtis is 10 years younger and I reckon will be outperforming him by the end of this season.

Where was McGeady playing when he was Curtis's age 10 year ago?....he was head and shoulders above Curtis then and he still is now.

Kenny Jacket would love him at Pompey and you would too (if you were being honest with yourself).

From an outside perspective, it still doesn't look like a great move.

He's 33, and on big money. If he's signing a new contract, est case scenario for you is that he's re-signing for this year only on a reduced wage. If not, it means he'll be with you until he's 35 or older. As good as he was last season, he's still an old, injured winger, who wont get into your team if you're promoted.

If you got rid of him, you could have got a few good players in with that money. As it is, you'll likely be paying him as much (or more), just over a longer period time, which feeds the narrative that Donald doesnt have the money to run the club and is trying to save money now and hope he can get investment to pay it later.
It’s utter bollocks though. He was signed as a championship player so won’t have been on huge wages initially and will have had a relegation clause. If we was improving his contract you may have had a point. The worst case scenario for us now is that we could afford to keep him in this league if we didn’t go up this season. He’s an excellent player at this level and will continue to be so for at least a few more seasons. If we go up, we keep him on a reduced wage as a squad player if he’s slowing down.

Where was McGeady playing when he was Curtis's age 10 year ago?....he was head and shoulders above Curtis then and he still is now.

Kenny Jacket would love him at Pompey and you would too (if you were being honest with yourself).

Curtis will be lucky to play anywhere above the championship. McGeady is better than anything in this league, no one has better ability on the ball.

And is still injured. Missed the start of last season, and missed games last season due to I jury as well, from memory.

Nah, just giving an outside perspective. If anything, I'm glad you've re-signed him instead of getting rid and going for Maddison.

He wasn’t signed on PL wages mate. Some players adapt their game with age and become even more influential. Niall Quinn being a perfect example. I’m delighted he is staying.

I'll stick with Downing being better than Willis, and admit I fucked up saying Raggett was more experienced at a higher level :neutral:

Just checked, he missed a game because of injury in December, not sure of any others to be fair, but that's still 3 I juries in a season.

Fair enough - In my opinion, if any club wanted to pay him the money he wanted, he'd have left. I'm pretty confident that's the case, based on everything else at the club. Having shitty owners in the past doesnt make me the Oracle, but it certainly brings alarm bells.

That's fine if there's a plan, but not if you're just pushing it down the line hoping theres a solution. That's how clubs go out of business, when there's nowhere else to turn.

You’ve reached wrong conclusion there as all the indications are that the manager he plays for is important to McGeady, one of the reasons he joined us was because Grayson was manager at the time and he stated several times last season that he enjoyed playing for Ross, sure money was a factor in his decision but the fact that he’s very happy at Sunderland was a bigger factor

From an outside perspective, it still doesn't look like a great move.

He's 33, and on big money. If he's signing a new contract, est case scenario for you is that he's re-signing for this year only on a reduced wage. If not, it means he'll be with you until he's 35 or older. As good as he was last season, he's still an old, injured winger, who wont get into your team if you're promoted.

If you got rid of him, you could have got a few good players in with that money. As it is, you'll likely be paying him as much (or more), just over a longer period time, which feeds the narrative that Donald doesnt have the money to run the club and is trying to save money now and hope he can get investment to pay it later.
Fuck off man yer blurt

And is still injured. Missed the start of last season, and missed games last season due to I jury as well, from memory.

Nah, just giving an outside perspective. If anything, I'm glad you've re-signed him instead of getting rid and going for Maddison.
If all his injuries were muscle related you might have a point but to use a broken foot caused by a stamp as evidence he’s injury prone .... come on be realistic

Staying on Wearside by the looks of it, check Roker Report’s tweets. Big news!

Roker Report on Twitter

That’d be a fantastic end to the week. Said on another thread, hard to criticise this transfer window thus far - unless you’re really looking for a reason to twist. Moved on high earners and dead weight; brought in new faces in the same positions. Couple more quality additions and Geads/McLaughlin contracts sewn up, we’ll be laughing.

In @Speedy1976 defence we could have been touting him around. If we need to trim the squad and cut back on wages it would make sense. I'd imagine both side had a plan B. McGeady is going on 34 and he won't get a better deal at a better club in Britain than us. If the only clubs interested were in the MLS then it might have played a part. He was unhappy in Moscow and might not have fancied a move aboard. Also the wages in the MLS aren't great. It might not have been worth the extra the coin.

But Ross staying was the key factor. If we sacked him McGeady and McLaughlin would have left.
Can't talk about it by the looks of things.

Back