McGeady overrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hate when all you here is people banging on about McGeady saying he should be playing in the championship for me he is a bang average footballer and deserves to be playing in league 1

Bang average? :lol: what does that say about all the other players in this league then? Imagine thinking this.

He isn’t overrated at all, his goals last season proved that, without him and big Jon we would have been nowhere near promotion and we would have been promoted if he hadn’t got injured.

I think the problem is there is huge over reliance on him when he is in the team and folk just think oh he will pull it out the bag for us again, sadly this season he hasn’t performed, add to that he offers nothing defensively, he left Hume to be hung out to dry at Bolton.

At the moment I would say we are probably a better team without him starting as others take more responsibility but to say he is overrated is ridiculous.

He’s not over rated - he’s the best player in this league. However, my observation is that he’s a little like Bagpus. When he plays well the team are excellent and when he plays poorly the team are tragic. When he doesn’t play the team are just plain solid and in this division that is enough to win 60-70% of games. So ... for me, if you can get him to play well in more than 1 in 3, then leave him in the team, if you can’t then bench him, and let the team be solid.

Getting on a bit so it's natural he's not got the fitness to chase back all the time and help defensively. You'd be alright playing him as a no10 for 90 minutes, but as a winger he can leave us exposed at the back. Used correctly he is a weapon. Just my thoughts.

In terms of natural ability, McGeady is up there with the best. Unfortunately, his lack of consistency stopped him from ever playing for a big club.

At this level he is a real game changer though, but he can drift in and out of games.
Pretty much the definition of a "proper" winger

What was clear against Tranmere was the formation we played, a variant of 4-2-3-1 was very narrow, with the width often coming from the full backs, the pitch seemed very compact yet that made us more fluid and dangerous. The issue is, can McGeady slot into that style, when he plays the formation is naturally a very wide one, he’s the go to man, and I think he would expose Hume’s defensive vulnerabilities. I’ve always felt McGeady could be deployed in the hole in the role Maguire played the other night, his defensive responsibility is then not as fundamental. Presuming Gooch won’t be risked, wonder if McGeady will come in, or even McNulty ?

He's great with the ball, but can over do it sometimes too in the showboating sense. Without the ball, he has been poor imo. Not tracked or defended properly and sometimes doesn't work hard enough to find space when we have it too. Maddison right now is out performing him as the leagues most gifted player.

The McGeady conundrum is something PP will have to solve with McGeady himself.
The team will benefit from him if they succeed or I could envisage the day when he is no longer first choice. The team must come first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back