Man arrested over Nikki Allan Murder

Status
Not open for further replies.

It's usual procedure to release a suspect while waiting for DNA results, which will take between 1 and 3 days to come back.

If they know it's him he won't be going anywhere anyway as they'll be watching him.

You'd have to think that he's a person of serious interest, otherwise they wouldn't announce it for it just to come to nothing - after all of these years and the Mother who really doesn't need another wild goose chase.

The only problem is: whose DNA do they have? The place was used by drug users so it could potentially be DNA that has nothing to do with the murder.

That said, the police will know it could be anyone's DNA unless it was found on Nikki's clothing and so wouldn't announce it as an important turn of events - so my guess is it is DNA from Nikki's clothing.

They’d get an extension for that to be done and keep him in. Even then, I’d suggest they would get a sample of the suspects DNA covertly and compared to to existing samples before they arrested him.

Bollocks. You tend not to release people you suspect of murder, bit of a dangerous game for a few reasons.
Something like that you would get fast track DNA results which would be done in about 36 hours, which is why most people arrested for murder end up having a superintendents extension granted and then sometimes a court extension.

If you have nicked someone for murder you don't just put your head in a room door and say yeah looks ok. It will have been a full forensic search following a forensic strategy, these are painstakingly slow for a very good reason
is it not more likely that when the new DNA has been found its already been matched up with someone already on file?

is it not more likely that when the new DNA has been found its already been matched up with someone already on file?

It won’t be that it’s just been found but could be that there is a new technique for analysis of DNA that’s been held for years but has been unusable evidentially until now. But aye, it’s more likely that it’s existing DNA rather than new stuff.

They’d get an extension for that to be done and keep him in. Even then, I’d suggest they would get a sample of the suspects DNA covertly and compared to to existing samples before they arrested him.

'Not sure if you're a copper, but if so - would you say that making it public they've arrested a man, given a few false starts, and turning the place upside down; means he is a serious suspect?

'Not sure if you're a copper, but if so - would you say that making it public they've arrested a man, given a few false starts, and turning the place upside down; means he is a serious suspect?

I’ve my suspicions about why he was arrested and what is happening now but it wouldn’t be prudent to suggest it publicly I’m afraid.

I’ve my suspicions about why he was arrested and what is happening now but it wouldn’t be prudent to suggest it publicly I’m afraid.

No problem, mate. But are you able to give a theoretical opinion: would they have gone to this trouble in the event it is only a mere lead they have to explore? or does this whole turning the place upside down mean after all of these years they really fancy this person as the murderer?

It might have which would have created them as a suspect. It's called a speculative search and it compares peoples DNA with that found at crime scenes, the original sample from the scene might have been improved with advances in technology so although initially not suitable for a match could well now be. Another possibility would be that this suspect has only just before this arrest been had their DNA taken.
As gav pointed out the way the hits work is it gives you a possibility of a match, 1 in however many. The higher the number the better it is as evidence

It might have which would have created them as a suspect. It's called a speculative search and it compares peoples DNA with that found at crime scenes, the original sample from the scene might have been improved with advances in technology so although initially not suitable for a match could well now be. Another possibility would be that this suspect has only just before this arrest been had their DNA taken.
As gav pointed out the way the hits work is it gives you a possibility of a match, 1 in however many. The higher the number the better it is as evidence
Could it be his DNA will have been found at the time, loads of mixed DNA on site I would imagine which they have worked out how to seperate only in the last few year.
Arrested as his DNA was present but had an alibi for the night (jailed at the time of murder)
Because if it is and they working on the DNA samples there might be some more arrests? Only a hunch like.

Missed this, I always thought it was the original lad from what I had read

Such a brutal murder, you find it hard to believe someone would commit a crime like that and never do it again

lets hope they caught the fucker, should be a national story this, only isn't bigger as its Sunderland.

Missed this, I always thought it was the original lad from what I had read

Such a brutal murder, you find it hard to believe someone would commit a crime like that and never do it again

lets hope they caught the fucker, should be a national story this, only isn't bigger as its Sunderland.
All the major papers are carrying it

DNA breakthrough brings arrest in one of Britain's longest unsolved child killings
Murdered Nikki Allan case breakthrough as man is arrested | Daily ...
Man arrested in connection with murder of 7-year-old girl Nikki Allan ...
What happened to Nikki Allan, when did the seven-year-old disappear ...

As are BBC & ITV

Man arrested on Teesside over unsolved murder of schoolgirl Nikki Allan
Nikki Allan murder: Man arrested over seven-year-old's death - BBC ...

I was working in the building a couple of weeks previously so my dna might be mixed up in all that. :eek:

There was a famous Chinese serial killer who was caught about 20 years later after having his DNA taken in a completely separate small domestic

Its possible someone has just been pulled up for another reason. Had their DNA taken and it's matched with historical found at the crime scene

There was a famous Chinese serial killer who was caught about 20 years later after having his DNA taken in a completely separate small domestic

Its possible someone has just been pulled up for another reason. Had their DNA taken and it's matched with historical found at the crime scene

Happened to the bloke who played Random Task in Austin Powers, who also fought in one of the early UFC events.

Bizarre story. Convicted for his part in a gang rape in 1990 after being DNA tested for a vandalism charge 28 years later.

Joe Son - Wikipedia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back