Man arrested over Nikki Allan Murder

I didn't see this yesterday but coincidentally was wondering if the forensic techniques I'd seen used in the Stephen Lawrence case on Thursday would have been used in the latest review of Nikki's case. You'd think that with the ferocity of the attack on Nikki it must've transferred the killers DNA or fibres to her body and/or clothing?

Arrest made over 1992 schoolgirl murder

This killing has been like a cloud hanging over the City since 1992 and I can't be the only one who hopes it can finally be put to bed and that the family gets some small degree of closure.

It was a particularly gruesome killing of an innocent child and its hard to imagine the torment her family have suffered.

It's usual procedure to release a suspect while waiting for DNA results, which will take between 1 and 3 days to come back.

If they know it's him he won't be going anywhere anyway as they'll be watching him.

You'd have to think that he's a person of serious interest, otherwise they wouldn't announce it for it just to come to nothing - after all of these years and the Mother who really doesn't need another wild goose chase.

The only problem is: whose DNA do they have? The place was used by drug users so it could potentially be DNA that has nothing to do with the murder.

It's usual procedure to release a suspect while waiting for DNA results, which will take between 1 and 3 days to come back.

If they know it's him he won't be going anywhere anyway as they'll be watching him.

You'd have to think that he's a person of serious interest, otherwise they wouldn't announce it for it just to come to nothing - after all of these years and the Mother who really doesn't need another wild goose chase.

The only problem is: whose DNA do they have? The place was used by drug users so it could potentially be DNA that has nothing to do with the murder.

That said, the police will know it could be anyone's DNA unless it was found on Nikki's clothing and so wouldn't announce it as an important turn of events - so my guess is it is DNA from Nikki's clothing.

Last edited:

That said, the police will know it could be anyone's DNA unless it was found on Nikki's clothing and so wouldn't announce it as an important turn of events - so my guess is it is DNA from Nikki's clothing.

i mentioned earlier that there was blood found on Heron's shoe at the time, has that ever previously been proved to be from the victim?

i mentioned earlier that there was blood found on Heron's shoe at the time, has that ever previously been proved to be from the victim?

I doubt it as that should have been enough to convict him.

'Curious that the police and forensics spent 8 hours searching the man's home in Stockton, and took loads of bags of stuff with them.

No idea what they could have been looking for in connection with Nikki's murder. What exactly would they hope to find at this stage that would implicate him in a murder that took place nearly 30 years ago?

'Curious that the police and forensics spent 8 hours searching the man's home in Stockton, and took loads of bags of stuff with them.

No idea what they could have been looking for in connection with Nikki's murder. What exactly would they hope to find at this stage that would implicate him in a murder that took place nearly 30 years ago?

it's feasible (and the shortest conclusion) then that it's her dna on an item that has been confirmed rather than the perps dna on her (clothing etc), but also like you say interesting that they've taken items from this suspects home too (if they are different people).

hopefully this does lead to an arrest and conviction whoever it is.

It could have already been done.

Nobody involved back then will still be in the job
Aye it could be, they'll need more than his dna in the building due to it being open to anyone etc (as if it was found on her that's harder to explain away unless he's family etc). The fact he's walked means they don't have enough to charge him.

it's feasible (and the shortest conclusion) then that it's her dna on an item that has been confirmed rather than the perps dna on her (clothing etc), but also like you say interesting that they've taken items from this suspects home too (if they are different people).

hopefully this does lead to an arrest and conviction whoever it is.

Not just taken items but spent 8 hours turning the place over - 'not sure what they hope to find at this stage.

One of the newspapers reported that the man is in his 50s - if that's an accurate report it wouldn't be George Heron.

Not just taken items but spent 8 hours turning the place over - 'not sure what they hope to find at this stage.

One of the newspapers reported that the man is in his 50s - if that's an accurate report it wouldn't be George Heron.

ah, hadn't heard that, thanks..

Aye it could be, they'll need more than his dna in the building due to it being open to anyone etc (as if it was found on her that's harder to explain away unless he's family etc). The fact he's walked means they don't have enough to charge him.

The thing with DNA and it’s analysis is that the processes for testing and comparing it are constantly evolving. There’s DNA from historic crime scenes that’s been seized but not the techniques to sufficiently compare it to provide irrefutable evidence. For example, the labs will say that a sample is likely to be that of person a) with a likelihood of being wrong of 1 : 1000,000. That usually isn’t enough. As scientists develop new methods of analysis, those odds increase to the point where it starts to become that irrefutable evidence.

I’d imagine the search would be a thorough one because they didn’t want to risk missing anything. Imagine if they hadn’t bothered and there was some sort of correspondence from him relating to the murder that they’d missed. Maybe a witness has come forward who remembers something particular about the person that they wanted to find evidence of. Certainly it’s be remiss not to conduct a through search on the off chance there was something there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bollocks. You tend not to release people you suspect of murder, bit of a dangerous game for a few reasons.
Something like that you would get fast track DNA results which would be done in about 36 hours, which is why most people arrested for murder end up having a superintendents extension granted and then sometimes a court extension.

If you have nicked someone for murder you don't just put your head in a room door and say yeah looks ok. It will have been a full forensic search following a forensic strategy, these are painstakingly slow for a very good reason

Last edited:

In his 50s. How old was the prime suspect?

I’d imagine the search would be a thorough one because they didn’t want to risk missing anything. Imagine if they hadn’t bothered and there was some sort of correspondence from him relating to the murder that they’d missed. Maybe a witness has come forward who remembers something particular about the person that they wanted to find evidence of. Certainly it’s be remiss not to conduct a through search on the off chance there was something there.

Fair point, mate.

I'm just wondering if it would be someone born and bred in Stockton. Part of me thinks if it's him he must be from the Sunderland area and moved down there, and part of me thinks that it's not uncommon for a murderer to look farther afield for targets.

But, studies of serial killers suggest that the first murder is usually one close to home.

In his 50s. How old was the prime suspect?

Heron would be 49. 'Suppose a reporter could have just asked how old he is and someone in the area said: "think in his 50s". Wouldn't be far off.

Personally I'd be surprised if it's Heron.

It would appear this is not him.

I found it strange if he was in Stockton mind.

He was 24 at the time of the murder, which would make him 49.

Last edited:

Back