Make An Indian Curry From Scratch - Al's Kitchen

I didn't knack me rice! Huzzah!

Undercooked, cold water and back in the pan for a bit and I now have perfectly cooked rice ready for frying up in a bit . Chicken tikka is done, and I'm all set with my ingredients for the Ruby

No idea where this is came from. He's just mentioned it on Facebook.
Dunno why really.

Some people would find buying a special pan and a big batch of spices quite expensive for a quick go at making curry at home. Especially if they're not convinced it'll be any good.
Personality, the biggest issue is the amount of time it takes. I'm not always convinced it's worth it.
Fluid to cook down, I guess like and yer base goes on for longer

I didn't knack me rice! Huzzah!

Undercooked, cold water and back in the pan for a bit and I now have perfectly cooked rice ready for frying up in a bit . Chicken tikka is done, and I'm all set with my ingredients for the Ruby

A recipe for a very easy aromatic pilau rice is the one below, which I often use - no need to fry it and perfect every time - the rice ends up firm (not hard or squidgy).

Ingredients

Servings 2

• 30 g unsalted butter or ghee
  • 240 ml of either a Long grain Basmati or ordinary Long Grain Rice (shorter grains cook faster) which has been rinsed until water runs clear.
  • 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
  • 1 bay leaf (preferably Indian)
  • 4 green cardamom pods (gently bashed to split)
  • 4 cloves
  • ½ teaspoon fennel seeds
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 360 ml boiling water

Directions

1. Melt the butter in a heavy base saucepan on a medium/medium high heat.
  2. Add the spices and salt – cook for about 30 seconds.
  3. Stir in the rice until it is coated in the butter or ghee.
  4. Add the boiling water and stir again.
  5. Cover with a tight fitting lid, and simmer on the lowest heat for 12 minutes--do not stir in the meantime.
  6. Remove from heat, take off lid and cover pan with tea towel - this allows any remaining moisture to escape.
  7. After 10/15 minutes “fluff up” rice with fork
  8. Serve.

NB. If you prefer your rice soft (but not soggy) increase the amount of boiling water to 450ml.

Last edited:
A recipe for a very easy aromatic pilau rice is the one below, which I often use - no need to fry it and perfect every time - the rice ends up firm (not hard or squidgy).

Ingredients

Servings 2

• 30 g unsalted butter or ghee
  • 240 ml of either a Long grain Basmati or ordinary Long Grain Rice (shorter grains cook faster) which has been rinsed until water runs clear.
  • 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
  • 1 bay leaf (preferably Indian)
  • 4 green cardamom pods (gently bashed to split)
  • 4 cloves
  • ½ teaspoon fennel seeds
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 360 ml boiling water

Directions

1. Melt the butter in a heavy base saucepan on a medium/medium high heat.
  2. Add the spices and salt – cook for about 30 seconds.
  3. Stir in the rice until it is coated in the butter or ghee.
  4. Add the boiling water and stir again.
  5. Cover with a tight fitting lid, and simmer on the lowest heat for 12 minutes--do not stir in the meantime.
  6. Remove from heat, take off lid and cover pan with tea towel - this allows any remaining moisture to escape.
  7. After 10/15 minutes “fluff up” rice with fork
  8. Serve.

NB. If you prefer your rice soft (but not soggy) increase the amount of boiling water to 450ml.
Is this an illegal food business recipe?

I don't want to try it, just in case...

I keep going back to the Karahi, it's bloody lovely and so easy to make. Haven't been able to make the base for months now as there's no freezer in my latest flat! Gutted.

I'm going to give this a go. Simply f***ing impossible to get a proper curry outside of blighty. I live in Winnipeg. The Indian bait is garbage.

I'm going to give this a go. Simply f***ing impossible to get a proper curry outside of blighty. I live in Winnipeg. The Indian bait is garbage.

I know the previous 70 odd pages will tell you all you need to know, but they really are fantastic and worth the effort.

If you can't be arsed dicking about with the base but want to try one asap, give the Karahi a go. No base required, just basic ingredients and the spices.

I know the previous 70 odd pages will tell you all you need to know, but they really are fantastic and worth the effort.

If you can't be arsed dicking about with the base but want to try one asap, give the Karahi a go. No base required, just basic ingredients and the spices.
I miss a good madras or dansak to be honest.

Back