Make An Indian Curry From Scratch - Al's Kitchen

Anyone still following these?
Just knocked up a batch of gravy for the freezer, gonna have another go at perfecting tikka masala one night next week. However for the life of me I still cant knock up a decent batch of pilau, no matter what I do I always seem to overcook the rice and it ends up clumping together :evil:

Yes I've knocked a few batches up over the last few months. The freezer is stocked.
The madras is brilliant.

seriously the easy thing about Indian food is rice - boil water 11 mins then drain with cold water, then just heat it up in microwave for a minute or two.
Just got a chicken and prawn curry cooking up for tonight , fresh coriander makes it for me

So I became aware of the "Al's Kitchen" (YouTube.com/c/alskitchen) YouTube channel a few weeks ago. And yesterday decided to try it.

The full range of ingredients (Barr the meat) cost me about £15 (Asian Food shop, Hylton Road, next door to Borneo). reckon the spices I've got spare will last me another 10/15 batches.

Followed his 'Base Gravy' recipe and then the 'Pre Cooked Chicken' and then made a Madras following his videos.

cooked for 5 last night and it went down an absolute treat, everyone loved it. The curry was of quality that would be served at an Indian restaurant. (I'm not taking any credit, all I done was follow his video. My cooking level is very much novice).

I've got enough 'base gravy' left to probably make another 5-6 currys (it can be frozen).

Felt I had to share this little gem , anyone who has an interest in cooking, And likes Currys - Give it a go. Honestly it's fantastic.

Making another curry today :cool:
Sounds good, might give it a try next weekend

aye , so , buying all the spices & crap is easeier than getting a takeaway ? i think not, its £2 f***ing quid mate :lol:

I'm with you. Although its nice to make your own stuff and i've tried it.. buying from a takeaway is better than stinking the whole house out for 3 days with garlic and ginger and the stuff that I make, whilst close, doesnt quite match my takeaway and you get a nice naan, which is as important as the curry for me.

Last time I made anything was when I had people around for the Man City game at the beginning of the season. Left the house at 11 to get the ingredients then went non stop - Served at 8pm :lol: (I had a two hour break to watch the game).

I made madras, korma and masalla mind. As well chicken tikka pieces.

I f***ing love them but I've sickened my self of them over and over again :lol:

Rice is dead easy and water down yer curry base gravy when using it
No idea where this is came from. He's just mentioned it on Facebook.
Dunno why really.

Some people would find buying a special pan and a big batch of spices quite expensive for a quick go at making curry at home. Especially if they're not convinced it'll be any good.
Personality, the biggest issue is the amount of time it takes. I'm not always convinced it's worth it.

Last edited:
Rice is even easier in a microwave rice cooker. rinse the rice, pour on boolong water to just above the rice level, 9 mins and its light and fluffy. Can pick them up for about £5. Good for steaming veg n'all.

Cheers for the tips. I'll see how I get on. I know there are easier methods out there but I like doing stuff from scratch.

Whilst I'm on, whatever happened to Ahmeds in Shields, looked like it was being refitted for a while but it's been boarded up for months now.

Ahmeds have had considerable bother getting the insurance payout on the fire but they do still intend to reopen the store when it comes through. Meanwhile, you can still get plenty of good stuff from their other store round the corner in Frederick Street, it's the big one one the left as you go down called Shields Super Save, with the bags of onions on the pavement outside.

If you can't get what you want there, there is another shop across the road further down called Zam-Zam that flogs asian groceries.

Rice is even easier in a microwave rice cooker. rinse the rice, pour on boolong water to just above the rice level, 9 mins and its light and fluffy. Can pick them up for about £5. Good for steaming veg n'all.

You have to import special water from Boolong????????

I'm with you. Although its nice to make your own stuff and i've tried it.. buying from a takeaway is better than stinking the whole house out for 3 days with garlic and ginger and the stuff that I make, whilst close, doesnt quite match my takeaway and you get a nice naan, which is as important as the curry for me.
Am i the only one who doesn't have this problem with the smell?
Shut kitchen door
Run extractor fan
Open back door

I have no problem at all

Back