Make An Indian Curry From Scratch - Al's Kitchen

I make sure it's a milk consistency before I add it to a curry just by adding water if necessary. (I make a big batch (abt 10 litres at a time) and freeze individual portions in those take-away foil containers. Works well. I also make a big batch of tikka (lamb or chicken breast) and freeze that. I find curries are much better if the meat has been tikka'd.

I do find that a lot of his recipes don't use enough base gravy and can therefore lack a little sauce upon completion - a question of personal choice maybe. I use at least 5 ladles in his madras / vindaloo recipes. That is for abt 7 pieces of chicken (1 portion).
I tend to use a full takeaway's worth of base for each curry. And then I water it down in the pan that I heat it in.

Has anyone got a good recipe for tandoori chicken tikka?

I like Al's kitchen for most things but not so much the tandoori chicken recipe.

I used to have a great one bookmarked in my phone but it packed in without warning and I can find it again.

Gunna use a real tandoor for the chicken so want a good recipe.

I like Al's kitchen for most things but not so much the tandoori chicken recipe.

I used to have a great one bookmarked in my phone but it packed in without warning and I can find it again.

Ain’t got a recipe but are you using a bought tandoor or a home made one? I fancy trying to make my own. Also, if you want to do full legs like some Indian places do, Ahmed’s at Shields do 10kg for £10.

Ain’t got a recipe but are you using a bought tandoor or a home made one? I fancy trying to make my own. Also, if you want to do full legs like some Indian places do, Ahmed’s at Shields do 10kg for £10.

It's a home made one. Me and the father in law made one as we like to have a drink and cook outside. To be honest he made it i was just carrying the brick and insulation and stuff.

Good price that. It's a good shop that. I will probs use chicken fillets, although I have been told to use breast with the bone still on for better taste.
Do you mean tandoori chicken or chicken tikka? Two different recipes.
Misty Ricardo on Youtube has recipes for both.

I'm looking for what you would get in a restaurant chicken tikka I suppose cooked In a tandoor.

The recipe I had before was a 2 stager marinate in lime juice, salt and garlic and ginger paste.

Then add yoghurt and all the spices etc. However, I cannot remember it properly and cannot find it again.

Last edited:
Als done a new one, but I heard good things about Misty's version.
I didn't like Al's first one. Came out all powdery - he recommended me to thin the mixture next time, but tbh there's not been a next time.

I've used this recipe for Tandoori Chicken & Chicken Tikka.

You can thank me later.
The recipe (it comes from a restaurant in Brum not Bradford - DOH!)

Preparation time
30 mins to 1 hour
Cooking time
10 to 30 mins
Serves
Makes 8–10 large skewers

Ingredients

For the garlic and ginger paste
For the tandoori chicken
For the yoghurt mixture

Method
  1. Preheat the oven to 220C/200C Fan/Gas 7. Line a baking tray with kitchen foil.
  2. To make the paste, blend the chopped garlic, ginger, chilli, coriander and vegetable oil together in a blender or small food processor until you have a smooth paste. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
  3. To marinade the chicken, put the chicken pieces in a large bowl. Add three-quarters of the garlic and ginger paste and reserve the rest for later. Add the turmeric, chilli powder, garam masala, salt, black salt, cardamom powder and dried fenugreek leaves and mix together well to coat the chicken. Add the lemon juice and stir then set aside to marinate for about 30 minutes.
  4. For the yoghurt mixture, put the yoghurt in a clean muslin and hang over a bowl for 30 minutes, allowing the water to drain out. Place the strained yoghurt in a large bowl. Add the remaining garlic and ginger paste, ground cardamom, salt, black salt, turmeric, chilli powder and garam masala. Using a whisk or spoon, blend together and drizzle in a little oil to combine. Pour the yoghurt mixture over the chicken and add another 1–2 teaspoons of chilli powder, if desired, to enrich the flavour and colour of the dish. Mix together well to evenly coat the chicken.
  5. Thread the chicken onto skewers and place on the baking tray. Cook in the oven for 25–30 minutes, turning regularly to ensure they cook evenly, until nicely charred and cooked through. Alternatively, cook in a tandoori oven, under a hot grill or on the barbecue, until charred and cooked through.
  6. Carefully remove the chicken from the skewers and transfer to serving dish. Scatter with freshly chopped coriander and serve.
TIP

I used Chicken thighs and legs for the Tandoori and boned thighs for the Tikka - both gave great results and I think much beeter than using breasts (on the bone or boneless).

Last edited:
Finally going to do Als Karahi today. Never had enough tomatoes in any time I've looked to do it in the past.
Its the only non-slow cook one without base gravy, so it'll be really interesting to see how it is.

Also made his mix powder the other day and did the new Garlic Chilli Chicken with it. tbh, I'm not sure whether its better or worse than the original - or even the balti. Yes, he's got 3 Garlic Chilli Chicken videos on the channel now lol

Chilli Chicken Masala is immense although I skip the black pepper as it just adds heat but without any spice.
Black Pepper adds heat?
Black Pepper doesn't add spice (flavour)?

That's just all wrong. Did you mean to say "hot chilli powder" ?

I've used this recipe for Tandoori Chicken & Chicken Tikka.

You can thank me later.
The recipe (it comes from a restaurant in Brum not Bradford - DOH!)

Preparation time
30 mins to 1 hour
Cooking time
10 to 30 mins
Serves
Makes 8–10 large skewers

Ingredients

For the garlic and ginger paste
For the tandoori chicken
For the yoghurt mixture

Method
  1. Preheat the oven to 220C/200C Fan/Gas 7. Line a baking tray with kitchen foil.
  2. To make the paste, blend the chopped garlic, ginger, chilli, coriander and vegetable oil together in a blender or small food processor until you have a smooth paste. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
  3. To marinade the chicken, put the chicken pieces in a large bowl. Add three-quarters of the garlic and ginger paste and reserve the rest for later. Add the turmeric, chilli powder, garam masala, salt, black salt, cardamom powder and dried fenugreek leaves and mix together well to coat the chicken. Add the lemon juice and stir then set aside to marinate for about 30 minutes.
  4. For the yoghurt mixture, put the yoghurt in a clean muslin and hang over a bowl for 30 minutes, allowing the water to drain out. Place the strained yoghurt in a large bowl. Add the remaining garlic and ginger paste, ground cardamom, salt, black salt, turmeric, chilli powder and garam masala. Using a whisk or spoon, blend together and drizzle in a little oil to combine. Pour the yoghurt mixture over the chicken and add another 1–2 teaspoons of chilli powder, if desired, to enrich the flavour and colour of the dish. Mix together well to evenly coat the chicken.
  5. Thread the chicken onto skewers and place on the baking tray. Cook in the oven for 25–30 minutes, turning regularly to ensure they cook evenly, until nicely charred and cooked through. Alternatively, cook in a tandoori oven, under a hot grill or on the barbecue, until charred and cooked through.
  6. Carefully remove the chicken from the skewers and transfer to serving dish. Scatter with freshly chopped coriander and serve.
TIP

I used Chicken thighs and legs for the Tandoori and boned thighs for the Tikka - both gave great results and I think much beeter than using breasts (on the bone or boneless).
That looks like a cracking recipe, I will have to give it a go if I get furloughed again :lol: As I said in a previous post I cheat with tikka and use a shop bought paste mixed with yoghurt.
It has been pretty good. The main reason is that by the time I have made the curry sauces and rice my kitchen and hob look like a war zone (if only I had room for an Island 😉 )

Back