Make An Indian Curry From Scratch - Al's Kitchen

Something I should have mentioned @Wild Card.

Don't be tempted to leave out the black salt.

It may be more difficult to find (I doubt if any of the main supermarkets stock it) but it gives a wonderful [not salty] flavour.

One other thing that maybe wasn't obvious, if you choose to cook on the bone remove the skin and 'slash' the meat before marinading

Something I should have mentioned @Wild Card.

Don't be tempted to leave out the black salt.

It may be more difficult to find (I doubt if any of the main supermarkets stock it) but it gives a wonderful [not salty] flavour.

One other thing that maybe wasn't obvious, if you choose to cook on the bone remove the skin and 'slash' the meat before marinading

I like watching chef Harpal Singh Sokhi on you tube and he uses black salt quite a bit. To be honest I wrote it off as just another type of salt when I couldn't see it in the supermarket.

I will keep more of an eye out next time I get a chance to go to Ahmed's in shields.

I like watching chef Harpal Singh Sokhi on you tube and he uses black salt quite a bit. To be honest I wrote it off as just another type of salt when I couldn't see it in the supermarket.

I will keep more of an eye out next time I get a chance to go to Ahmed's in shields.

When I say it has a sulpher like taste it makes it sound awful but that conclusion couldn't be further from the truth.

A far better description than mine.

Black salt: Enough of the pink talk, let us discuss another salt that is widely used in vegan recipes. It is the black salt often referred to as the Indian black salt or ‘Kala Namak’ locally.

The black salt is often called the Himalayan black salt as it is a jar full of the Himalayan salt mixed with charcoal, herbs, bark, and seeds and then fired in a furnace for 24 hours.

This salt has a reddish-black color, salty tastes with a hint of pungency and faint, sulfurous aroma of eggs.

Last edited:
Black Pepper adds heat?
Black Pepper doesn't add spice (flavour)?

That's just all wrong. Did you mean to say "hot chilli powder" ?

Nope. I love black pepper on pasta, etc. but it just seems to add sting to a curry. TBF, it could have been one of the other spices where there's a bit of ambiguity and I might have used a hotter variant - not chilli powder as I always use kashmiri which is mild - but I've cut the black pepper out and the dish certainly doesn't suffer from it's absence.

Nope. I love black pepper on pasta, etc. but it just seems to add sting to a curry. TBF, it could have been one of the other spices where there's a bit of ambiguity and I might have used a hotter variant - not chilli powder as I always use kashmiri which is mild - but I've cut the black pepper out and the dish certainly doesn't suffer from it's absence.
None of the other spices have a "sting" only chilli has capscium. You must be confusing something somewhere. Black Pepper, in the ratio of a spoon in a whole curry, doesn't not make it hot.

I did Al's Madras really good but a piss on to make
Part of the fun is the prep, I admit some of the curries have more prep than others, but that is what makes it.. Hoping the mrs (no) makes the chicken 65 one tomorrow, im not going to hold my breath as I'm the one who makes them, just like pizzas from scratch.

Part of the fun is the prep, I admit some of the curries have more prep than others, but that is what makes it.. Hoping the mrs (no) makes the chicken 65 one tomorrow, im not going to hold my breath as I'm the one who makes them, just like pizzas from scratch.
Iv seen a few recipes for gunpowder potatoes which sounds good might do that with some chicken tikka

Once you've made the base that madras takes about 15 minutes all in to prepare and cook. The rice takes longer to make.
There's at least 2 different Madrasses on his page. But both are really easy to make from memory.

If he means making the base sauce, then that's a job for a different day really. I never make base to make a curry at the same time

Back