Make An Indian Curry From Scratch - Al's Kitchen

Aye didn't have the ginger to add to the madras but really good got some assistance but that was just for the process and iv never cooked really before.
Tip for the garlic and ginger paste - buy fresh-frozen bags from Asda and just blend them up with a bit of water - then freeze in ice cube trays, remove and bag them up.

Any of his curries not require the base gravy? Used up my last batch end of last year and can't be arsed making a new batch anytime soon...but I fancy a curry!

Any of his curries not require the base gravy? Used up my last batch end of last year and can't be arsed making a new batch anytime soon...but I fancy a curry!
3 or 4.
The beef and lamb massala ones which are slow cooked (or fast cooked if you have an instant pot / pressure cooker)
And the Karahi, which I must try sometime.

The paneer kadhai is really nice, add a red pepper though as I think that might be missing from his recipe and is usually included.

Dunno if its been mentioned on here but his Chicken Tikka Masala recipe calls for 3 tbs of sugar. He got it wrong. It's 3 teaspoons for anyone making it.

His Madras and Vindaloo recipes are excellent but the vindaloo needs at least 3 cups more base gravy than his recipe says.

Also a better Chicken Tikka recipe is on here

Dunno if its been mentioned on here but his Chicken Tikka Masala recipe calls for 3 tbs of sugar. He got it wrong. It's 3 teaspoons for anyone making it.

His Madras and Vindaloo recipes are excellent but the vindaloo needs at least 3 cups more base gravy than his recipe says.

Woah. You can't be questioning @AlsKitchen's methods on here. That's blasphemy.

Do you water down the base? I've never had a problem with having to add more base than he does in the vids. If anything I'm left with too much.

Got both of his recipe books for fathers day.

Do you water down the base? I've never had a problem with having to add more base than he does in the vids. If anything I'm left with too much.

I make sure it's a milk consistency before I add it to a curry just by adding water if necessary. (I make a big batch (abt 10 litres at a time) and freeze individual portions in those take-away foil containers. Works well. I also make a big batch of tikka (lamb or chicken breast) and freeze that. I find curries are much better if the meat has been tikka'd.

I do find that a lot of his recipes don't use enough base gravy and can therefore lack a little sauce upon completion - a question of personal choice maybe. I use at least 5 ladles in his madras / vindaloo recipes. That is for abt 7 pieces of chicken (1 portion).

Back