Lumiere.

I thought it had been held in Durham for the last few years? I didn't know it was like the garden festival held in different places around the country I just thought it was a name given to Durham Xmas lights
Remember the garden festival in Gateshead? I was like 8 at the time. I can remember it being class but probs cos I was a kid and it was day out from school. Where exactly was it in Gateshead?

Remember the garden festival in Gateshead? I was like 8 at the time. I can remember it being class but probs cos I was a kid and it was day out from school. Where exactly was it in Gateshead?
Where the staithes estate is now. Dunston riverside on the back road to the metro centre

I thought it had been held in Durham for the last few years? I didn't know it was like the garden festival held in different places around the country I just thought it was a name given to Durham Xmas lights

It was in London when Arsenal knocked us out of the FA Cup. I remember the bairn playing on a light up swing outside Kings Cross.

There was nobody at all in the closed off lane this morning and I wondered what the point of it was. Most annoying after I'd sat in traffic from the county hall roundabout and slowly crawled my way down to the bank.
Can't understand why they think the crowds will be that deep at that point.

There's 5ft high railings between road and path so am not sure why hoardes of people would need to be on that road over the wrong side of the railings to see anything.

Trouble with Durham is, the slightest pinch point in the traffic system causes havoc as well. So a lane closed backs the city up all day.

I don't know the area it was an industrial wasteland before the festival and now has houses built on it. I visited it and had a very nice curry from an Indian restaurant that had a stall there but other than that it's a blur. Jesus how the years pass it seems like just a couple of years ago.

It was in London when Arsenal knocked us out of the FA Cup. I remember the bairn playing on a light up swing outside Kings Cross.
I've just looked up the history and the first show was durham 2009. I could have sworn it has been held every year at durham for the last 5 or so and lumiere was just the poncey name for durham lights. I blame my age.:)

Last edited:
Can't understand why they think the crowds will be that deep at that point.

There's 5ft high railings between road and path so am not sure why hoardes of people would need to be on that road over the wrong side of the railings to see anything.

Trouble with Durham is, the slightest pinch point in the traffic system causes havoc as well. So a lane closed backs the city up all day.
Never has a city needed a bypass as much as Durham. It’s shocking really.

Where the staithes estate is now. Dunston riverside on the back road to the metro centre
Had a monorail an all.

Last edited:
Never has a city needed a bypass as much as Durham. It’s shocking really.

Had a monorail an all.
Been talked about for so long am sure I'll never see the day a visionary finally plans one.

The city with a ring road which goes right through its middle. Mere yards away from a world heritage site.

People being turned away from the park and ride on the a690 as was full about 7 o clock so we've come to a pub and waiting for it to die down. Not sure what time the buses finish though?

Got to Sniperley park and ride about 6.45pm but it was full so they said try New College. That was packed but luckily I managed to find a space.

Started at the viaduct which the bairn liked and went to Flass Street. Stood and watched the film about the bin men but it was a bit boring. Liked the Northern Lights at the station and looking across the city from there. Enjoyed the harmonic portal and then walked down to the fire tornado. That was awesome and thoroughly enjoyed that. Went over the bridge to Walkergate. Got told I was sad off the eldest for going "yay, look! More fire!" at a patio heater. The heron on the river looked good. The little one loved the interactive stuff, especially the instrument one you were able to hit to play notes. I loved chemistry so the periodic table appealed to me.

We were looking at the flash shadows thing with the people in the window when the eldest got a pop up on his phone to say Coleman had signed as manager. Had to stop there and scroll through news sites and discuss our immediate reactions. Walked up to the market place which was stunning and the bairn really liked it. Went up to the Cathedral which I thought was poor from the outside. We were waiting for the usual show to start but were ushered into a queuing system snaking across the grass and realised they are not doing it this time. We stood in the queue for a bit while and then realised it was going to be one hell of a wait but by then we were trapped in the middle and couldn't get back out, so there was nothing to we could do but wait it out. After about forty minutes, the bairn was bored and twisting. The pathway keeps going off the grass and onto the road with nothing to highlight the kerbs. I didn't see I was leaving the grass at one point, fell off the kerb and went flat on my face. I now have two bruised knees and a bruised elbow. However this cheered the bairn up no end and she kept giggling about it, so it's been worth the pain #topparent After an hour we finally got in the Cathedral and I was disappointed. It was really boring and by then I was feeling sore from my fall and the bells were annoying.

Walked out into the cloisters which was ok but nothing spectacular. The Chapter House was open for candle lighting but I had a good look around in there as even though I've been to the Cathedral a million times, I've never been in there. It's got some fantastic stonework with beautiful curves and ribbed vaulting. I'm pleased I saw it. Outside the Cathedral, the bairn like the rubber band installation.

We walked through the bailey where there were smaller installations on the way. We got to Prebends bridge and time was getting on, so we missed the counts house out. There were lights to look at reflected in the water from the bridge and an installation on the actual bridge. It was very busy and slow going. We shuffled our away across and down the riverside path. The lighting in the trees and the sounds looked good initially but it was very slow going shuffling our way along in the crowds and keep stopping while people took photos. By the time we got to the Coach and Eight, it was 11pm and we were all cold and tired so we decided to call it a night.

Missed out Elvert riverside and the botanic gardens and university which was a shame as someone told me the botanic gardens are good.

Enjoyed the evening apart from the Cathedral. If people are going, I wouldn't bother waiting to see it. I'd miss that out and do everything else and perhaps try walking down South Street rather than the riverside path if you want to see the lights on the riverside. That is probably less crowded and I wish we'd gone that way instead.

Back