Lumiere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Got to Sniperley park and ride about 6.45pm but it was full so they said try New College. That was packed but luckily I managed to find a space.

Started at the viaduct which the bairn liked and went to Flass Street. Stood and watched the film about the bin men but it was a bit boring. Liked the Northern Lights at the station and looking across the city from there. Enjoyed the harmonic portal and then walked down to the fire tornado. That was awesome and thoroughly enjoyed that. Went over the bridge to Walkergate. Got told I was sad off the eldest for going "yay, look! More fire!" at a patio heater. The heron on the river looked good. The little
Got to Sniperley park and ride about 6.45pm but it was full so they said try New College. That was packed but luckily I managed to find a space.

Started at the viaduct which the bairn liked and went to Flass Street. Stood and watched the film about the bin men but it was a bit boring. Liked the Northern Lights at the station and looking across the city from there. Enjoyed the harmonic portal and then walked down to the fire tornado. That was awesome and thoroughly enjoyed that. Went over the bridge to Walkergate. Got told I was sad off the eldest for going "yay, look! More fire!" at a patio heater. The heron on the river looked good. The little one loved the interactive stuff, especially the instrument one you were able to hit to play notes. I loved chemistry so the periodic table appealed to me.

We were looking at the flash shadows thing with the people in the window when the eldest got a pop up on his phone to say Coleman had signed as manager. Had to stop there and scroll through news sites and discuss our immediate reactions. Walked up to the market place which was stunning and the bairn really liked it. Went up to the Cathedral which I thought was poor from the outside. We were waiting for the usual show to start but were ushered into a queuing system snaking across the grass and realised they are not doing it this time. We stood in the queue for a bit while and then realised it was going to be one hell of a wait but by then we were trapped in the middle and couldn't get back out, so there was nothing to we could do but wait it out. After about forty minutes, the bairn was bored and twisting. The pathway keeps going off the grass and onto the road with nothing to highlight the kerbs. I didn't see I was leaving the grass at one point, fell off the kerb and went flat on my face. I now have two bruised knees and a bruised elbow. However this cheered the bairn up no end and she kept giggling about it, so it's been worth the pain #topparent After an hour we finally got in the Cathedral and I was disappointed. It was really boring and by then I was feeling sore from my fall and the bells were annoying.

Walked out into the cloisters which was ok but nothing spectacular. The Chapter House was open for candle lighting but I had a good look around in there as even though I've been to the Cathedral a million times, I've never been in there. It's got some fantastic stonework with beautiful curves and ribbed vaulting. I'm pleased I saw it. Outside the Cathedral, the bairn like the rubber band installation.

We walked through the bailey where there were smaller installations on the way. We got to Prebends bridge and time was getting on, so we missed the counts house out. There were lights to look at reflected in the water from the bridge and an installation on the actual bridge. It was very busy and slow going. We shuffled our away across and down the riverside path. The lighting in the trees and the sounds looked good initially but it was very slow going shuffling our way along in the crowds and keep stopping while people took photos. By the time we got to the Coach and Eight, it was 11pm and we were all cold and tired so we decided to call it a night.

Missed out Elvert riverside and the botanic gardens and university which was a shame as someone told me the botanic gardens are good.

Enjoyed the evening apart from the Cathedral. If people are going, I wouldn't bother waiting to see it. I'd miss that out and do everything else and perhaps try walking down South Street rather than the riverside path if you want to see the lights on the riverside. That is probably less crowded and I wish we'd gone that way instead.

Superb review becs.

Disagree about the cathedral piece, which is the best single work of art on show, but that's for another time.

I went on Thursday, got there about 6.30 and got parked no bother in Prince bishops car park, wasn’t that busy really and I wouldn’t have enjoyed it at all if it was any busier

Wasn’t overly impressed with the whole thing to be honest. We gave the cathedral the swerve cause the queue was too big and owa lass was twisting cause she was too cold, it looked good that one though

I dunno what I was expecting like but I don’t think I’d gan back. The river walk thing was canny good like, was nice walking along there slowly with the lights and weird music I got into a little bit of a trance just mooching along I don’t think I even said a word to our lass the whole way along and felt proper chilled out at the end, would have been good smoking a doobie, they should light the trees up like that all the time it looked lush. The rest was just... areet. Wouldn’t be spending my Saturday night there like when it’s heaving

Just stood for 2 and half hours at the cathedral waiting for the projectors show. Not happening this year?

Just sitting in some pub now after the most boring two hours of my life. Embarassingly bad. I started having doubts as we walked over Elvet bridge and there was a crane with some dangly things hanging over the river lit by someone with torch I think. It didn't really get much better.

Just sitting in some pub now after the most boring two hours of my life. Embarassingly bad. I started having doubts as we walked over Elvet bridge and there was a crane with some dangly things hanging over the river lit by someone with torch I think. It didn't really get much better.
Unfortunately that what we felt the first time. decidedly underwhelmed is an understatement and baffled by people getting hyper excited at it coming back. Maybe I just missed something. I`m still debating whether to give it another go and see this year`s display on Sunday night and give it another chance.

Think there’s one person on this thread who thought it was OK. Rest say it was shit. (Or disappointing)

Been twice previously and it’s f***ing shite...just sayin like
Have to agree
Thought the first time a few years ago might just of been a one off poor show but tonight was on par and I doubt I will be enticed back
Fair play to the volunteers who do a great job

Been tonight, the best display is the Botanic Gardens but it’s a heck of hike up the bank. Queuing system for the Cathedral is more intricate than at Disney!

Been tonight with the family meeting them all in town. We used Sniperley P and R which worked a treat. As others have said not a patch on show 2 years ago for me. Because of the "limited light show" at Cathedral it seemed to take ages in queue whereas last year with the colours and music and the story unfolding it was almost a shame to go inside!

Last edited:
Oh dear.

Pulled out all the stops to get a babysitter at late notice so that I wouldn't miss this as tonight was the only night me and the wife were both in the same place during the festival due to other plans/work. Was actually really knackered and didn't want to go - but I've been to the others, and didn't want to miss this one.

I wish I had.

From the bonkers and pointless queue after 7.30pm from Claypath into Market Square - I came out of the Gala, 20 yards from the un-busy entrance, and had to walk 100 yards UP claypath to join a pointless snake-queue; To the atrocious "shine some light bulbs at the Cathedral, but don't worry, it'll be better insid........... no, just more pointless light shining at the ceiling for no apparent reason while there's a video of some people who once rang some bells on the telly".
Crap.

Surely the Cloisters will be good - they had that fire thing the other years which was ace................. nope, a load of white sticks with a small circle on them, lit by totally generic lights. Pointless.
At least we got to go into an interesting room that I've not seen before - the ceiling and upper-stone work was really amazing in there.

The bailey (is it? garden bit out he back?) was 3 of the same thing. Hark back to Year 1 when this area was filled with little trinkets and shows. Nope, some coloured ropes around some trees. Great.

Decided not to walk towards the bridge (in previous years, you'd have to say which bridge, as at least 3 had impressive works on them - but not this year, just the one) as I was dead on my feet and my hip was killing - so we walked back to the car. I imagine this is where all the good stuff was???

Did manage to see the carpet of light thing on North Road, which was probably the best use of light we saw - that looked awesome when it rained later, as the colours changed to a metallic look - very cool.
And the big display in the market square was impressive, although stagnant - when you think back to the impressive snow globe, or even the elephant, its still quite dull.

The film piece at the miners hall was ok - but its really just a video, and not actually light-based art.
The lighting up of the arches on the viaduct - that's literally just a larger version of the Ikea LEDS I had in my last kitchen. Is that the best they can come up with. A coloured light that slowly scrolls through different colours?

I've been a big proponent of the Lumiere, but its progressively got worse each and every iteration. I honestly won't bother next year unless I read something that tells me its back to what it once was.

We went last night. Very disappointing compared to previous years. Especially at the Cathedral. Riverbank walk rescued it, but we were being herded around like friggin sheep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back