Lumiere 2019 - tickets available Monday 10am

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plenty on street parking free round Potter's Bank way, easy to walk in from there. Traffic seems fine this side of town.

This is the first one I'm planning to miss. As much as I originally thought it was amazing, I've also felt like it got less and less enjoyable each iteration. Last time round, I really thought it was lacking.

So hopefully people will post here to say its back to its best, and I'll try to find a way to get 3 kids looked after for a few hours and go on the last night.

Assuming everyone gets over this sodding cold first.

Was out with lads on drink last time it was on. We left half moon to go to boathouse, and got stopped on the bridge. In the end we had to explain to plod that we weren't interested in lumiere, just out on the piss, just to be let through the barrier.

Last edited:
Just spoke to the daughter who is studying in Durham.. said it's well busy.. been told to close her curtains in her halls up by the viaduct as they are projecting onto the building

Just spoke to the daughter who is studying in Durham.. said it's well busy.. been told to close her curtains in her halls up by the viaduct as they are projecting onto the building

That was madness putting one of the displays on the side of a student accommodation block (first exhibit near the bus station).

I've been down to the Lumiere tonight. It's well worth going though some of the stewards seem to have been borrowed from the Sunderland SOL given their stinking attitude (notably near the whale display and the riverside walk after the cathedral). The actual display on the side of the cathedral doesn't seem as good as previous years. The display on the side of the Physics building at the Uni. is the same as two years ago if you want to save yourself the walk. Apart from that. not too many negatives at all and the riverside walk for the etherial mist displays is top notch and they have it right this year with the wind catching it slightly.

The whale display is back from 2013 (basically rescuing that year as 2013 was the poorest IMHO) and down next to Radisson's Hotel this time. Queuing for the cathedral ends at 7.30 pm and not 8 pm as previous years. Tonight (Thursday) seemed fairly quiet compared to previous years though expect tomorrow and Saturday to be busier.
/
I also thoroughly enjoyed the display on the side of the castle and I was glad to see the snow globe back in the square.

There are repeats as this is the 10th anniversary and some displays have been brought back to reflect this. Prepare for some interaction to get the most out of some displays. Some of the displays have an environmental message with two having a shot at plastics in the oceans.

This is the first one I'm planning to miss. As much as I originally thought it was amazing, I've also felt like it got less and less enjoyable each iteration. Last time round, I really thought it was lacking.

So hopefully people will post here to say its back to its best, and I'll try to find a way to get 3 kids looked after for a few hours and go on the last night.

Assuming everyone gets over this sodding cold first.

As commented, it varied (notes in answer to Epping). I felt 2013 was the worst one with the whale (back this year) and elephant displays rescuing it, with me wondering that year why I bothered. The 2009 was best IMHO with 2011 and 2017 not far behind. This was a good one though as I said, the actual display om the side of the cathedral was not as good as previous years.

Last edited:
Went on Wednesday with the dog, saw most the good ones.

Cathedral is a bit windows 98 screensaver.
Round the back is decent though.
Whale is class
Riverbanks & Prebends bridge are good
Botanical Garden's & Physics building are good.
Snow globe is canny

On a side note my pals uncle did the bottles that are illuminated in the side of the gala building. So keep an eye out for those.

The first one will always be my favourite, but I think it’s just the fact I’m used to it now the novelty has worn off.

Been twice and to be honest I have never been impressed . Mind always dragged two little kids along which didn’t help. This year boys are old enough to be left at home for a few hrs so might have a look down.

Whats best route to take before going into cathedral green? Got two kids to take round who arent that bothered so wouldnt mind getting to see the main ones and cathedrsl bit then get away

Whats best route to take before going into cathedral green? Got two kids to take round who arent that bothered so wouldnt mind getting to see the main ones and cathedrsl bit then get away
I'm in a similar boat, going to take the family as late as I can get away with to avoid some of the crowd. What's the best route for a two hours-ish visit?

What time does it get turned off for the night?

I'm in a similar boat, going to take the family as late as I can get away with to avoid some of the crowd. What's the best route for a two hours-ish visit?

What time does it get turned off for the night?

You need four hours minimum. The cathedral locks it's doors 10.30 and the lights are switched off at 11.

You could save yourself an hour plus if you miss out the three attractions up towards the University due to the walking distance. However, the show at the University Physics building is one of the better displays though it's a repeat of that in 2017.

If you just do the Cathedral and riverside, you could get it down to an hour and a half. But you'd miss the whale next to the Raddison.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back