Lumiere 2019 - tickets available Monday 10am

Maybe I just don’t get it. The stuff projected onto the cathedral was crap an all.

The cathedral projection was the worst I've seen in all six Lumieres. The whale, the side of the castle, the riverside and the University Physics building were good though.

One or two of the displays were interactive, though this wans't made intuitively obvious on getting there (rain cloud, student accomodation block and piano, one of the displays near the gala). The one under the viaduct needed the stewards to tell people to pull the rope to make it turn as it was not often visited for example.
Too much shuffling about at a snail's pace for me. Is it people taking photos holding people up?

England match and it being a school night made Thursday the obvious choice. I thus got around reasonably easily, even at the cathedral and along the riverside, which are usually major bottlenecks.

Last edited:
North East - Here's your yearly excitement, obvs down South we wouldn't bother.

The Lumiere heads to the King's Cross area of London every second year too. But point taken, as there's a lot more to do in London and the Lumiere doesn't really compete with what's there all the time as regards laid on entertainment. But best throw the northerners a few crumbs and let Durham do the Lumiere every second year too. ;)

I've seen some of the Kings Cross one. I think it was when we played Arsenal away in the FA Cup a few years back. I've got a picture of my daughter on a swing in a big light up bird cage.

I've seen some of the Kings Cross one. I think it was when we played Arsenal away in the FA Cup a few years back. I've got a picture of my daughter on a swing in a big light up bird cage.
Last time it was in London was at the beginning of 2018 and it was all around Trafalgar Square/Piccadilly Circus/Regent Street and lower Soho. Don't know if earlier versions were around Kings Cross. I do know that they are also doing something in Kew Gardens over Christmas.

Christmas at Kew 2019 | Kew

Last time it was in London was at the beginning of 2018 and it was all around Trafalgar Square/Piccadilly Circus/Regent Street and lower Soho. Don't know if earlier versions were around Kings Cross. I do know that they are also doing something in Kew Gardens over Christmas.

Christmas at Kew 2019 | Kew

Had a look back and it was January 2016 when there was stuff at Kings Cross. We were just filling in time before our train so we just looked at the stuff near the station.

Except you missed the best installation at the Botanic Gardens (and the New Inn isn't South).

I made another trip in and you were right. For the Birds is an exhibition in its own right.

The four hour estimate I gave earlier only works if you miss For the Birds. This last exhibition can't be rushed and if you're able, needs to be done on a separate night.

I think I met the artist responsible for For the Birds on the way out too. The estimate of 25 to 40 minutes isn't enough to properly take it in and it needs an hour. Very good!!! :D

A lot of people will have missed that as I didn't see anyone push on past the Physics building and not too many people even went that far.
I think this "spread it outside of the city centre" idea really took away from the event in general. Most people can't realistically see everything in one place anymore.
As already mentioned, its actually a tour, not just a Durham thing
Exactly why I won’t go. Shuffling around to be disappointed.
Go later on, when its quiet.

Last edited:
Council misled a lot of folk into using the park and ride. The Walkergate car park had a lot, a lot, of empty spaces.

Thank you for this tip! Got to Durham about 5.15pm tonight. The Belmont park and ride was full. Went to Walkergate and there were masses of empty spaces to choose from! Plus the parking was cheaper than it would have cost on the Park and Ride bus.

Started at the Heron and walked along and over the bridge for the whale.
Worked back along the other side of the river and up North Road.
Walked out to the County hospital ones and St Godrics.
Went back though The Gates and where the coloured baubles were.
Did the ones around the Gala and the Atoms.
Up to the Market Place and round Prince Bishops.
Went to Palace Green and in the Cathedral.
Out the back and down through the Bailey.
Walked along South Street and back up Silver Street, then back to the car.

That took five hours and we didn't see everything but we were cold and wet and it had started to rain heavy again, so we came home.

I liked the vests! Loved the neon dogs and the brain one under the viaduct was fascinating. I like the projection clock opposite the Gala. Enjoyed the atom display.

Was disappointing that the fire garden in the Cloisters and out the back of the Cathedral didn't look very impressive as the rain had put a lot of it out, but they can't really do anything about the weather! The lights to the left of Prebends bridge towards the Count's House had all gone out and people were sliding about on wet leaves in the darkness, so we missed that out. The queue to get on the riverside path was really big so we went via South Street and viewed the Cathedral from half way down there instead. Not as good a view but the rain was getting worse and we didn't want to wait in the queue.

Overall a decent night out with my Mam and my bairns :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
I enjoyed Keys of Light the most but there were a lot of exhibits that I just couldn't be fucked on trying to locate... We wanted to park at Howlands P&R but it was full so we ended up parking at East Durham College Houghall and walking. Wanted to see the Botanic Gardens but it was an enormous queue and I had to be back in the city for 9.20 or risk losing my timeslot at KoL. I enjoyed seeing some of the stuff again but overall I found the event to be somewhat lacking compared to 2015, which in turn was better than 2017. Maybe it's time to leave it there and think of another even for future years.

Thank you for this tip! Got to Durham about 5.15pm tonight. The Belmont park and ride was full. Went to Walkergate and there were masses of empty spaces to choose from! Plus the parking was cheaper than it would have cost on the Park and Ride bus.

Started at the Heron and walked along and over the bridge for the whale.
Worked back along the other side of the river and up North Road.
Walked out to the County hospital ones and St Godrics.
Went back though The Gates and where the coloured baubles were.
Did the ones around the Gala and the Atoms.
Up to the Market Place and round Prince Bishops.
Went to Palace Green and in the Cathedral.
Out the back and down through the Bailey.
Walked along South Street and back up Silver Street, then back to the car.

That took five hours and we didn't see everything but we were cold and wet and it had started to rain heavy again, so we came home.

I liked the vests! Loved the neon dogs and the brain one under the viaduct was fascinating. I like the projection clock opposite the Gala. Enjoyed the atom display.

Was disappointing that the fire garden in the Cloisters and out the back of the Cathedral didn't look very impressive as the rain had put a lot of it out, but they can't really do anything about the weather! The lights to the left of Prebends bridge towards the Count's House had all gone out and people were sliding about on wet leaves in the darkness, so we missed that out. The queue to get on the riverside path was really big so we went via South Street and viewed the Cathedral from half way down there instead. Not as good a view but the rain was getting worse and we didn't want to wait in the queue.

Overall a decent night out with my Mam and my bairns :cool:
The clock projection isn’t part of the lumiere. It’s on every night :lol:

pleased you got parked like. Council clearly don’t want people parking in the centre

I'm going tonight with the kids for a few hours. I've noticed people saying it takes 4 hours and you miss some so if you could tell me the ones to see and avoid that would be most helpful. Expecting to park in prince bishop car park unless there's somewhere better?

I'm going tonight with the kids for a few hours. I've noticed people saying it takes 4 hours and you miss some so if you could tell me the ones to see and avoid that would be most helpful. Expecting to park in prince bishop car park unless there's somewhere better?
Prince bishops has been full by mid afternoon every day so far and then they shut off the access road.

Back