Lumiere 2019 - tickets available Monday 10am

B

becs

It's on from the Thurs 14th- Sun 17th November.

Free tickets going online tomorrow at 10am or can be collected from Gala Theatre & Cinema and Libraries and Leisure centres across the county (Chester-Le-Street Library, Stanley Library, Consett Library, Seaham Library, Peterlee Library, Crook Library,Barnard Castle Library & Spennymoor Leisure Centre, Woodhouse Close Leisure Centre).

You only need tickets if you plan to visit the peninsula area between 4.30pm-7.30pm. The central peninsula area of the city includes Market Square, Prince Bishops Shopping Centre, Durham Castle, Saddler Street, Durham Cathedral and The Count’s House. The central peninsula is only accessible via Framwellgate Bridge, Silver Street/ Claypath and Elvet Bridge.

If you haven't got small children and are able to stay out later, we've found it better to see the stuff outside the ticketed area before 7.30pm then go into the peninsula area once the crowds have died down.

It's on from the Thurs 14th- Sun 17th November.

Free tickets going online tomorrow at 10am or can be collected from Gala Theatre & Cinema and Libraries and Leisure centres across the county (Chester-Le-Street Library, Stanley Library, Consett Library, Seaham Library, Peterlee Library, Crook Library,Barnard Castle Library & Spennymoor Leisure Centre, Woodhouse Close Leisure Centre).

You only need tickets if you plan to visit the peninsula area between 4.30pm-7.30pm. The central peninsula area of the city includes Market Square, Prince Bishops Shopping Centre, Durham Castle, Saddler Street, Durham Cathedral and The Count’s House. The central peninsula is only accessible via Framwellgate Bridge, Silver Street/ Claypath and Elvet Bridge.

If you haven't got small children and are able to stay out later, we've found it better to see the stuff outside the ticketed area before 7.30pm then go into the peninsula area once the crowds have died down.

Jesus, I can remember the first year it was on, bordering on a crush to be honest, hope the organisation has improved?

Jesus, I can remember the first year it was on, bordering on a crush to be honest, hope the organisation has improved?
It’s a lot better with the ticketing but I’m going to say it’s still not the best like. It’s the idiots who took their dogs up towards the cathedral I was annoyed with. Poor things were getting stood on and that.

The tickets limit the number of people but it's still a bit of a crush.

It’s a lot better with the ticketing but I’m going to say it’s still not the best like. It’s the idiots who took their dogs up towards the cathedral I was annoyed with. Poor things were getting stood on and that.

That annoyed me too. Poor dogs!

Think it's a victim of its own success to be honest. The streets are just not wide enough for the volume of people that visit. Even the cold, wet weather a couple of years back didn't put people off!

It's a "best of" this year for the 10th anniversary with the return of lots of festival favorites : snow globe in the Market Place, the whale, the fog, for the birds in the botanic gardens etc. There's loads of new ones too like.

There's a new one way system on the peninsula this year which will no doubt annoy some i.e. if you enter at Elvet Bridge you have to turn left, up to the cathedral, down the Bailey, across Prebends Bridge, back up at Framwelgate Bridge.
That wasn't the first time it was on, it was the second. As Becs says, the tickets were a result of that. And this year's one way system is another.

Last edited:
It's a "best of" this year for the 10th anniversary with the return of lots of festival favorites : snow globe in the Market Place, the whale, the fog, for the birds in the botanic gardens etc. There's loads of new ones too like.

There's a new one way system on the peninsula this year which will no doubt annoy some i.e. if you enter at Elvet Bridge you have to turn left, up to the cathedral, down the Bailey, across Prebends Bridge, back up at Framwelgate Bridge.

That wasn't the first time it was on, it was the second. As Becs says, the tickets were a result of that. And this year's one way system is another.

What wasn't there?

Is It going to be a nightmare with a buggy? Sounds like it is. Our youngest is 16 month so we will need to take it I think.

Yes! If you have a carrier thing, use that.

We took my Dad once in his wheelchair but he never really saw much because he was too low down in the crowd. He remembered it as a night in Durham looking at different people's arses :lol:

I love Lumiere. I'll be going later in the evening, as I find it too claustrophobic during the peak, ticketed hours.

PS Look out for me performing at the Keys of Light installation at Rushford Court on Saturday night (9.50-10pm)!
do you miss anything if you go after the ticketed hours? I went to the first one and found it a nightmare, quite like the thought of going later too

Dint see the point in tickets like.

Not sure whether to bother this time - the last one was shite.
It was class last time, I went all four nights. It's more spread out nowadays though (another crowd control measure) so it's entirely possible to go and still miss all the good stuff.

do you miss anything if you go after the ticketed hours? I went to the first one and found it a nightmare, quite like the thought of going later too
No, you just miss some of the crowds. Last time, most of the installations were outside the ticketed zone anyway, so you could easily see that lot during the peak hours and then head into the peninsula for the quieter, later hours.

I had a gold pass last time because my company was within the ticketed zone, but I genuinely only used it to get out and to my car on the Friday. I came back on Sunday at about 9pm for the lights. Couldn't get into the park and ride but parked very easily near Zen (permit zones are free 6pm-8am all week and all day Sundays).

Wow this is popular. Clicked the link there 5 mins ago and hung for a while then;

You are being held in a queue to ensure the best booking experience. Please do not refresh your browser.

You are number 5055 in the queue

Back