Lumiere 2019 - tickets available Monday 10am

You need four hours minimum. The cathedral locks it's doors 10.30 and the lights are switched off at 11.

You could save yourself an hour plus if you miss out the three attractions up towards the University due to the walking distance. However, the show at the University Physics building is one of the better displays though it's a repeat of that in 2017.

If you just do the Cathedral and riverside, you could get it down to an hour and a half. But you'd miss the whale next to the Raddison.
Cheers.

Might see if I can work out a route that starts on the outskirts and works its way in then.

Try and get all of the good stuff in.

A rough path would be as follows, keeping in mind small detours are needed for a couple of attractions. Download the Lumiere app for assistance.

Start at student digs to north west of viaduct for first display. Note second display is tucked in streets behind Dominos.

Head down North Road with detour for church and humming rings. Neon dogs is back on North Road.

Turn down to riverside to walk towards Raddisons, coil and whale display. Glowing thing on side of Fat Buddha opposite bank is a display.

Cross footbridge next to Raddisons, turn left for Are Atoms Alive display. Retrace steps to bridge to head for Gala via glowing benches and crane.

Go up steps to gala (3 displays), then cut round to County Hotel, along to Dun Cow for next two displays. Cut through past Courtyard and head for student union building (grey concrete) and next display.

Head south toward what used to be New Inn (church on right has display) and look for crowd next to Physics building on University campus. Resist urge to punch students.

Return back the way you came all the way to County Hotel and turn up Old Elvet Bridge. The next display is opposite the Swan and Three Cygnets.

Swing round Market Square and Globe, plus round Bishopgate for next display, then head for Cathedral. Note traffic lights on way have been modified for a further little display.

After this, follow the usual clockwise route through cathedral, Old Prepends Bridge and riverside for remaining displays. River mist display was best on night.

Climb stairs next to Revolution (used to be Coach and Eight) and view last display on Castle side opposite side of river.

Hope that helps :)

A rough path would be as follows, keeping in mind small detours are needed for a couple of attractions. Download the Lumiere app for assistance.

Start at student digs to north west of viaduct for first display. Note second display is tucked in streets behind Dominos.

Head down North Road with detour for church and humming rings. Neon dogs is back on North Road.

Turn down to riverside to walk towards Raddisons, coil and whale display. Glowing thing on side of Fat Buddha opposite bank is a display.

Cross footbridge next to Raddisons, turn left for Are Atoms Alive display. Retrace steps to bridge to head for Gala via glowing benches and crane.

Go up steps to gala (3 displays), then cut round to County Hotel, along to Dun Cow for next two displays. Cut through past Courtyard and head for student union building (grey concrete) and next display.

Head south toward what used to be New Inn (church on right has display) and look for crowd next to Physics building on University campus. Resist urge to punch students.

Return back the way you came all the way to County Hotel and turn up Old Elvet Bridge. The next display is opposite the Swan and Three Cygnets.

Swing round Market Square and Globe, plus round Bishopgate for next display, then head for Cathedral. Note traffic lights on way have been modified for a further little display.

After this, follow the usual clockwise route through cathedral, Old Prepends Bridge and riverside for remaining displays. River mist display was best on night.

Climb stairs next to Revolution (used to be Coach and Eight) and view last display on Castle side opposite side of river.

Hope that helps :)

Except you missed the best installation at the Botanic Gardens (and the New Inn isn't South).

Except you missed the best installation at the Botanic Gardens (and the New Inn isn't South).
A lot of people will have missed that as I didn't see anyone push on past the Physics building and not too many people even went that far.
Bus services 6, X21 or the PR2 park and ride given how far out that is the walk back via other attractions?

Last edited:
A lot of people will have missed that as I didn't see anyone push on past the Physics building and not too many people even went that far.
Bus services 6, X21 or the PR2 park and ride given how far out that is the walk back via other attractions?
Yeah drive there after you've done the town stuff is the thing to do

Might park at the P&R, get bus tickets and walk down via the botanical gardens. Then bus back up when we're done.

Apparently people have been known to get fines for using the place solely as a car park without paying for owt. Fair enough I suppose.

I might be controversial here but did anyone think it was shit?
The whale was decent and the projection at prebends was too.
The rest was very disappointing. I mean that gadgy in the cathedral breathing down the microphone. WTF!!

The rest was very disappointing. I mean that gadgy in the cathedral breathing down the microphone. WTF!!

There's been better for sure and the first was the best. 2013 was worse than the current one by a country mile.

Awful. I liked the Spanish gadgie's thing on the bridge but other than that it was very underwhelming. What the hell was the vest light display about in the Cathedral? :lol: Can't believe they made us line up for that.

Awful. I liked the Spanish gadgie's thing on the bridge but other than that it was very underwhelming. What the hell was the vest light display about in the Cathedral? :lol: Can't believe they made us line up for that.
I know, we went early, about 4.45 thinking we could get in, but the actual church doesn’t close til 5 so had to wait in the pissing rain for 45mins. Got soaked. All to see some f***ing vests hanging up. Dear me.

Must admit I was slightly disappointed with it. Thanks to @Waskerly Mackem for the route we managed to catch most of it and enjoyed the walk around Durham, Whale and globe highlights. Pissed down on way back to aykley heads. Park and ride full at 6.30!

Back