London congestion charge.. death of the diesel car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder how much revenue the treasury will lose in fuel duty? Couriers and haulage firms having to change their fleet now. As a business, i have now informed my customers we will no longer enter Central London. The loss of business is less than replacing the fleet, of course this will change over time as we naturally replace the vehicles!

Last edited:

Wonder how much revenue the treasury will lose in fuel duty? Couriers and haulage firms having to change their fleet now. As a business, i have now informed my customers we will no longer enter Central London. The loss of business is less than replacing the fleet, of course this will change over time as we naturally replace the vehicles!

The treasury has lost billions in fuel duty by freezing any rises over the last 9 years. Something daft like £9bn a year.

The whole point of this ULEZ is to force change. We can't continue with the status quo.

Yes I know but £175 to get each of my bikes tested and they will still fail as they were made in 1987, 1988 and 2002.
Surely you’re only ever riding one bike st a time, unless you’re a one man motorcycle display team, so you’re just going to pay the charge as & when.

Still worth it to get from one side of London to the other in a fraction of the time it takes a car.

Yes I know but £175 to get each of my bikes tested and they will still fail as they were made in 1987, 1988 and 2002.
That's about 12 trips into London on one bike. 9000 people a year die because of pollution. If you have 4 bikes you can afford to get one tested I'm sorry.

The newest bike I have is from 2002 and it will fail the £175 test so that'll be £350 for 14 trips into London. The point I was making was that a bike taking 15 minutes to travel from A to B must surely be making less pollution than even a ULEZ compliant car taking 1 hour to cover the same journey. Or I could just get a big old noisy polluting 2-stroke as they are almost all ULEZ compliant!

The newest bike I have is from 2002 and it will fail the £175 test so that'll be £350 for 14 trips into London. The point I was making was that a bike taking 15 minutes to travel from A to B must surely be making less pollution than even a ULEZ compliant car taking 1 hour to cover the same journey. Or I could just get a big old noisy polluting 2-stroke as they are almost all ULEZ compliant!

Less pollution yes, but still pollution and therefore you pay the cost.

The treasury has lost billions in fuel duty by freezing any rises over the last 9 years. Something daft like £9bn a year.

The whole point of this ULEZ is to force change. We can't continue with the status quo.
If this was truly about cutting congestion/pollution they would just ban the vehicles though. Apportioning a fee for use is just saying its bad but if you pass us then thats ok

Edit: pay not pass

Last edited:
If this was truly about cutting congestion/pollution they would just ban the vehicles though. Apportioning a fee for use is just saying its bad but if you pass us then thats ok

Edit: pay not pass

The system isn't perfect, personally I'd rather see a more comprehensive road user charging system brought in.

However you just can't ban vehicles on that scale. It's hard enough to filter a single residential street to through traffic.

The system isn't perfect, personally I'd rather see a more comprehensive road user charging system brought in.

However you just can't ban vehicles on that scale. It's hard enough to filter a single residential street to through traffic.
Why not? if they are serious about tackling it then they should ban the non-compliant vehicles entirely and not accept bribes to take polluting vehicles into ULEZs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back