London congestion charge.. death of the diesel car

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about plumbers living in say Forest Hill.

(According to the guy at work his dad will have to buy a new car because he will be living in the zone come 2021 and he can't afford £87.50 a week, and he needs his car for work, I think he runs a cafe).
He should put tea and coffee up 20p a cup to cover it.

What about plumbers living in say Forest Hill.

(According to the guy at work his dad will have to buy a new car because he will be living in the zone come 2021 and he can't afford £87.50 a week, and he needs his car for work, I think he runs a cafe).
I see uber are sticking a quid on journeys. I imagine businesses will need to do the same. Something needs to be done about pollution mind.

Not seen the map of the area, tbh. I assumed it was central central london.

Poorish people do though.

You're doing okay to be able to afford a car.

The poorest people are hit disproportionately hard by air pollution That's an injustice.
Will it reduce the amount of cars on the road? Not by enough. (Not that I have any great answers on how to reduce the congestion on London's roads).

It's forecast to cut numbers, yes.

Even with the ULEZ in place today, Parliament Square is recording PM2.5 at 7x the World Health Organisations guidelines.

The pollution angle is all well and good, but what about people who have diesels cos of the mpg? Even if you get rid of your diesel to avoid the charge, your fuel bill will go up considerably.

They need to get revenue back. They reduced/wiped out road tax on efficient cars, and year on year I reckon revenue is falling.

They always claim its to save the planet, but the truth is if we all drove eco friendly electric cars, they'd still want the money so would bend the rules a bit to ensure they get it somehow.

Most politicians only care about pollution and saving the planet if it includes saving/making money along the way!

That’s f***ing ridiculous. My car is a 3-litre 6-cylinder turbo petrol and it avoids the charge. Utterly mental when it gives off 168g/km CO2. Admittedly it is far lower in terms of NOx emissions but it still doesn’t seem right to me.
I’ve got a 13 year old diesel. I can’t afford a newer car (or any car at the minute), so if I lived in London and worked outside I’d now have to pay 12.50 a day. It’s bollocks man. They should just phase out old cars due to natural wastage, not rubbish like this.

I’ve got a 13 year old diesel. I can’t afford a newer car (or any car at the minute), so if I lived in London and worked outside I’d now have to pay 12.50 a day. It’s bollocks man. They should just phase out old cars due to natural wastage, not rubbish like this.

It’s a stupidly thought out charge. I’m having a look at some other cars now off Auto Trader.

A 4.8 Porsche Cayenne Turbo is also free to drive in central London.

Meanwhile a VW Tiguan 2.0 diesel is chargeable.

Mental.

My company car falls foul of the ULEZ, good job I avoid driving into the inner boroughs at all costs.

I’ll be looking for something with much lower co2 output when this one goes back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back