London congestion charge.. death of the diesel car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live next to the North Circular which is the boundary for 2021. I barely use my car, can sometimes sit there for months but I need it for travelling back up to visit family. I only ever use it for driving outside of London.

From 2021 it’s going to cost me £12.50 to take it out of the garage and drive it 100 yards to the limit of the zone.

I live next to the North Circular which is the boundary for 2021. I barely use my car, can sometimes sit there for months but I need it for travelling back up to visit family. I only ever use it for driving outside of London.

From 2021 it’s going to cost me £12.50 to take it out of the garage and drive it 100 yards to the limit of the zone.
Would it not make sense to sell the car and just hire one when you need it?

So you have either a Non-Euro 6 diesel (older than Sep 2015) or a non-Euro 4 petrol car (older than 2005) or a more modern higher emission car? You can put your reg in online to check the latter. A lot of people would be thinking of changing a car like that by 2021.

Last edited:
So you have either a Non-Euro 6 diesel (older than Sep 2015) or a non-Euro 4 petrol car (older than 2005) or a more modern higher emission car? You can put your reg in online to check the latter. A lot of people would be thinking of changing a car like that by 2021.

The car is 13 years old and I’ve had it from new. It does around 2k a year at most so it doesn’t make sense to buy a new one.

Would it not make sense to sell the car and just hire one when you need it?

Probably. Will either take it on the chin to pay to take it out of the garage or join a car share club like zip car.

Do you have to pay the ULEZ charge if you push it to the end of the street? :lol:

The car is 13 years old and I’ve had it from new. It does around 2k a year at most so it doesn’t make sense to buy a new one.

Probably. Will either take it on the chin to pay to take it out of the garage or join a car share club like zip car.

Do you have to pay the ULEZ charge if you push it to the end of the street? :lol:
At 13 years you might be OK anyway it’s the declared emission level they look at not strictly the age.

Dunno if you own your house there mate but would that kind of stuff would have an effect on the value of the house if it's cheaper to live 100 yards down the road?,

Move the ULEZ signs and cameras 105 yards away, obviously in the right direction though

I have 3 motorbikes which all qualify for the ULEZ charge. I can drive through central London traffic in minutes on any of the bikes or sit in the same traffic for an hour in the wife's car pumping out pollution and burning up the planets oil supplies and it's ULEZ free! Crazy idea, 100% about revenue not pollution.

Despite my 3yo diesel being "clean" enough to have zero road tax it is mucky enough to cop a 12 quid congestion charge fee :lol:

The Tories are on fire this time around, dreaming up new taxes left, right and center.
We all knew pollution / diesel tax was on the horizon but this is nothing but a standard "Tory" tax from where I'm sitting.

Oh, and just for giggles my 2.8 insignia vxr with 320 horsies is exempt, 100% diesel tax I guess then.

Last edited:
It's sadiq khan's tax

It's Johnson's scheme, accelerated under Khan.

I have 3 motorbikes which all qualify for the ULEZ charge. I can drive through central London traffic in minutes on any of the bikes or sit in the same traffic for an hour in the wife's car pumping out pollution and burning up the planets oil supplies and it's ULEZ free! Crazy idea, 100% about revenue not pollution.

You could cycle for free. Get an electric bike.

Pave the centre and only allow busses. Delivery vehicles can deliver at night.

Also stop paying ridiculous wages to managers on public transport and incest the money saved into more routes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back