London congestion charge.. death of the diesel car

It'll be no go zone soon anyway,rest of us crack on in our euro 4 5 and 6 diesels .With the ability to do your job anywhere in lots of cases why do it in the centre of London

£87.50* a week if you live in London after 2021. The rich will buy new cars. The poor won't and therefore will be hit by this tax the hardest. And it won't really lessen traffic in London and if it does it will likely end up on the M25 which is already chocca.

*Approx £4500 pa
This. It's just a ruse to keep the plebs off the road. If they REALLY wanted to do something to ease congestion and pollution then subsidise public transport, make it cleaner, safer and more reliable.

This. It's just a ruse to keep the plebs off the road. If they REALLY wanted to do something to ease congestion and pollution then subsidise public transport, make it cleaner, safer and more reliable.

How much more reliable do you want transport to be? It's incredible in London. Buses are subsided by about £1bn a year for a start.

TfL is one of only a few transport authorities in the world that receives zero funding from central government. It cannot make anything cheaper. It receives zero funding to maintain its roads either, that needs to be paid for, its currently being subsidised by tube fares (!!!).

The ULEZ has already forced people into upgrading their motor vehicles, and it will have a massive positive effect once it's extended to the n/s circular. It's forcing change.

personally i'd charge those living in london and let everyone else off. they choose to live there and pollute the city whereas your once in a blue moon tourist should be welcomed as a contribution to the london economy.

in 20 years time they will decide that diesel is the way forward and change their minds again anyway.

Last edited:
Haven't read the thread, just searched for one. Can someone in the know tell me how this charge works please? I'm looking at driving into central London on a Friday, parking up and then driving out on a Monday, do I pay the £12.50 for each day I'm in London or just the 2 days that I'm actually driving? When I put the details into the website it's showing overall charges of £73, is that right?

Haven't read the thread, just searched for one. Can someone in the know tell me how this charge works please? I'm looking at driving into central London on a Friday, parking up and then driving out on a Monday, do I pay the £12.50 for each day I'm in London or just the 2 days that I'm actually driving? When I put the details into the website it's showing overall charges of £73, is that right?
Depends what time you're arriving and leaving. Congestion charge runs Monday - Friday 7:00-18:00

Back