London Climate Disruption

Status
Not open for further replies.
These two sat on top of the DLR.

The commentary at first speculated they were using a blade to get them off.

Why aren't armed police in attendance?

I have to say I'm warming to them more and more - no pun intended.

Even if you may not agree with what they are actually protesting about, you have to admire the way they are going about it. Fair play to them. Long may it continue. A nice warm Easter weekend coming up too.

its certainly an industry with plenty on the gravy train. you've got that Ocasio Cortez talking about a green deal then in the next breath flying over to Glasto to give a speech.

that said... you cant really argue with the logic that we should take better care of our planet.

I agree on both points - Nicola Sturgeon addressing the Arctic Circle climate change conference for example. No part of Scotland is inside the Arctic Circle (even though it often feels like it) - and her educational background is Law. Surely if anyone was going to represent Scotland at such an event it would at least be someone with a scientific background. Nope - grandstanding is all it's about.

Sorry to keep using Scotland as an example (it's relevant as The Greens have a fair degree of influence at Holyrood now that they're propping up the SNP minority government) - they're going hell for leather to beat the UK government for banning ICE vehicles which is great if you live in Glasgow or Edinburgh - but when are they going to manage to install all the charging points that will be needed in the Highlands & Islands? I also happen to think that banning ICE's will result in people keeping older and more polluting vehicles on the road (and reduce the incentive for manufacturers to develop and improve ICE engines).

There's no doubt we should be looking at cleaning up our act - but it needs a multi-faceted approach - not all our eggs in the electricity basket.

I have to say I'm warming to them more and more - no pun intended.

Even if you may not agree with what they are actually protesting about, you have to admire the way they are going about it. Fair play to them. Long may it continue. A nice warm Easter weekend coming up too.
0 carbon emissions and disrupting people getting to work? Double fail

0 carbon emissions and disrupting people getting to work? Double fail

It's the entire point of these protests. Just keep it in the news, piss people off so that they're aware. Got to break a few eggs to make an omelette and all that.

Targeting public transport is a bit odd though. I don't think they're doing their cause much good with this.

Right lads and lasses get in your rowing boats and go and protest here.
nothing to do with the UK

1. China (30%) The world’s most populated country has an enormous export market, which has seen its industry grow to become a serious danger to the planet. In just five provinces, which that host most of these industries ,more dioxide is emitted than in any other country in the world. As a consequence, Beijing has experienced, in recent years, constant red alerts for environmental pollution.

2. United States (15%) The world’s biggest industrial and commercial power. Although in recent times it has led the most important initiatives to combat climate change, in practice the great majority have been shown to be insufficient. Neither are its pollution levels limited to big cities; many rural areas are also beginning to notice the consequences.

3. India (7%) Fourteen out of the world’s 15 most contaminated cities are in India, says the World Health Organization. The country has had a law protecting air quality since 1981, but the burning of fossil fuels has grown significantly and as a consequence India occupies third place in the ranking of the most polluting countries in the world.

4. Russia (5%) The biggest country in the world geographically appears in this ranking for its high dependence on products such as oil, coal, gas and fossil fuels. Also, in the past few decades, it has experienced several environmental emergencies and has high levels of deforestation and animal hunting.

5. Japan (4%) Finally, the other great Asian power after China completes the list. Japan is the biggest consumer of fossil fuels in the world and the fifth largest emitter of greenhouse gases. This situation is due to its high level of urban development and industry that seems to care little for nature.

Last edited:
I agree on both points - Nicola Sturgeon addressing the Arctic Circle climate change conference for example. No part of Scotland is inside the Arctic Circle (even though it often feels like it) - and her educational background is Law. Surely if anyone was going to represent Scotland at such an event it would at least be someone with a scientific background. Nope - grandstanding is all it's about.

Sorry to keep using Scotland as an example (it's relevant as The Greens have a fair degree of influence at Holyrood now that they're propping up the SNP minority government) - they're going hell for leather to beat the UK government for banning ICE vehicles which is great if you live in Glasgow or Edinburgh - but when are they going to manage to install all the charging points that will be needed in the Highlands & Islands? I also happen to think that banning ICE's will result in people keeping older and more polluting vehicles on the road (and reduce the incentive for manufacturers to develop and improve ICE engines).

There's no doubt we should be looking at cleaning up our act - but it needs a multi-faceted approach - not all our eggs in the electricity basket.
Totally agree.
  • Focus on making big cities EV friendly.
  • Continue to make ICE as efficient as poss
  • Continue to develop renewables
  • Retain a coal burning station for shortages
  • Plant more trees
  • Encourage builders to incorporate renewables in planning
  • Encourage locally sourced produce
  • Move more freight by rail

It's the entire point of these protests. Just keep it in the news, piss people off so that they're aware. Got to break a few eggs to make an omelette and all that.

Targeting public transport is a bit odd though. I don't think they're doing their cause much good with this.
Are we not all aware now?

So we’re all agreed, a tax on children is needed. I propose losing your personal allowance if you’re a parent for the first child. Increase standard income tax to 40% if you have a second, 50% for a third. I reckon that might help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back