Lockdown

Well tell me what short term solution you have that protects the NHS then? If you want to look short term, you can't object to a lockdown out of fear for future lockdowns. That's long term. So what's the short term objection?

Also it would be very easy to bring nurses in immediately if you were in power and had a scibtilla of intelligence. Talk to Private health firms about deals to cover the winter with their resources. New visa introductions overnight with financial incentives to healthcare workers that are currently not able to come and work here for ideological reasons. Basically, use your power to secure labour, like Britain has done throughout pretty much every labour shortage in its history.

Hence why I said "me personally".

In sum- a competent energetic creative government I think could get us through this winter without a lockdown. But we have the opposite of that of course.

If lockdown needs to happen then it needs to happen. Personally I dont think we are at this point yet. We are at about a 1/5 of where we were last year when it comes to covid admissions. To me that leaves us a big wiggle room to see how things pan out. We are boosting at 600k plus a day with 80% of elderly and vulnerable already boosted. Since the reopening this is the first real brick in the road we have faced. I personally think we should see who it plays out a bit before we feel the need to head into more restrictions or lockdown

Its just common sense.

In 1000 people, all double jabbed... If 100 are infected there might be say 2 hospitalisations. If 900 are infected will there be more than 2 hospitalisations?
But if we already have 700 hospitalisations from say 50000 delta cases but only 70 from omicron then it would take a tenfold increase before cases went up. They may go down. Unlikely but they don’t necessarily go up. That is all I said.

You don't have a clue if the vulnerable are better off overall. You just "think". On that basis you're happy to sit back and ignore the vulnerable as long as you don't need a mask to go to the pub.

That's a fair comment IMO. You might "think" it's snide. :cool:
I don’t think you are getting it at all. Which is fine. It has gone beyond wearing a mask in a pub. The cases are doubling every two days and you are concerned with someone not wearing a mask. It’s laughable.

I don’t think you are getting it at all. Which is fine. It has gone beyond wearing a mask in a pub. The cases are doubling every two days and you are concerned with someone not wearing a mask. It’s laughable.

You ignored everything I suggested. Simple measures that would make a difference.

You look after yourself m8. You are anyway.

Don't worry about the rest of us.

Not if most people had mild or no symptoms and carried on working. The cat is out of the bag. The benefits would be people building up more immunity.

It is a big IF mind.

If most people can carry on working then we just keep going. Either need a strict lockdown or bust. Anything in between is pointless. IMHO.
A strict lockdown won't work any longer anyway. In March 2020 people were scared of the unknown and the majority adhered to the rules. Now,, many people will still do as much as they can and visit each other in their homes (which is where it spreads most anyway), hence a lockdown not working.

You ignored everything I suggested. Simple measures that would make a difference.

You look after yourself m8. You are anyway.

Don't worry about the rest of us.
This is where we disagree. They will make virtually no difference at all. Not with a strain this virulent. It took months of lockdown to change the course of delta.

How are we expecting the same amount in hospitals with more people vaccinated with a supposed weaker strain?

Something doesnt add up

Flu season, it's been pretty much eradicated for last 18 months because of the same restrictions but there's nothing stopping it this year and it's due asap usually anytime from now to March is the peak for it.

NHS winter crisis officially worst on record and patients are still suffering, final figures show - For example.

It's nothing new but with Covid on the scene aswell it's got the potential to be a nasty one. Shame as per usual we've been banging on about 3 word phrases than actually making effort in the last decade to sort the problem.

Labour are calling on support for business, hopefully we hear from the Chancellor soon.
They’re going to need to do something or businesses are going to die. My place has been dead since omicron reared it’s head and I know plenty of others in the same situation. We needed a good month to get through January but that isn’t going to happen by the looks of it.

The Govt have caused so much damage over the last few weeks, that the trust has gone and I can’t see many following further restrictions if implemented.

At this stage, the biggest worry is that fat Boris and co have pissed people off so much that they aren’t rushing to get the booster

Fail to see how this impending lockdown isn’t at least 3-6 months. If it’s doubling every 2 days it’s gonna have to be considering boosters don’t look like they can prevent hospitals been overwhelmed. No indoor fans at footy until next august I reckon. f***ing depressing.

Back