Little known albums

Status
Not open for further replies.

£40 was for the 4 cd box set with a 150 page book.
Most people I've told about it since I bought it nearly 20 years ago haven't heard of it.
I had the double vinyl with sleeve notes.
Remember seeing Dr Feelgood at Sunderland Mayfair and the support band did Dirty Water........How can I remember that nigh on 30 yrs ago yet forget half the stuff I want when I go to Sainsbury’s?

Death Western by Cat Scratch Fever
In The Falling Dark by Dave Mallett
Silencer by Zed

Also Jeff Lynne's first solo album Armchair Theatre is excellent if you like ELO, went under the radar a bit.
I’ve long been of the opinion that safc should run out to Cat Scratch Fever......though nugent s a horrible horrible man so possibly the Motörhead version.

Wire - 154
Loved the second n third albums. Hated the first.

Last edited:
I had the double vinyl with sleeve notes.
Remember seeing Dr Feelgood at Sunderland Mayfair and the support band did Dirty Water........How can I remember that nigh on 30 yrs ago yet forget half the stuff I want when I go to Sainsbury’s?

I’ve long been of the opinion that safc should run out to Cat Scratch Fever......though nugent s a horrible horrible man so possibly the Motörhead version.

Loved the second n third albums. Hated the first.

Like Pink Flag..not so keen on Chairs Missing..love 154.

Like Pink Flag..not so keen on Chairs Missing..love 154.
I preferred their....errrr....”dreamier” stuff than the lairy edgy ones if that makes any sense.
I loved the idea of Pink Flag more than the actuality of it, very short songs with all the fat took off is a great idea but I’d prefer it if they’d done that with their more melodic stuff. They did with Outdoor Miner which was all ower Rad1 for its first week but then got kicked off the charts as EMI(?) got caught hyping it with targeted in store purchases or summit. Shame as it would’ve been a massive hit.
I lost touch with them after their fourth album. I should really give em another go as there’s bound to be enuff stuff to cherry pick a great playlist from.

I preferred their....errrr....”dreamier” stuff than the lairy edgy ones if that makes any sense.
I loved the idea of Pink Flag more than the actuality of it, very short songs with all the fat took off is a great idea but I’d prefer it if they’d done that with their more melodic stuff. They did with Outdoor Miner which was all ower Rad1 for its first week but then got kicked off the charts as EMI(?) got caught hyping it with targeted in store purchases or summit. Shame as it would’ve been a massive hit.
I lost touch with them after their fourth album. I should really give em another go as there’s bound to be enuff stuff to cherry pick a great playlist from.

Same here..lost touch a bit then a lad at work loaned me a few later albums..some of it is hard work like..Change becomes Us and Red Barked Tree are supposed to be canny like.

£40 was for the 4 cd box set with a 150 page book.
Most people I've told about it since I bought it nearly 20 years ago haven't heard of it.

I got that from Spin Records in Newcastle in 1998. It was released on Rhino Records who previously had released four volumes of Nuggets on vinyl in 1984 entitled Hits/Punk/Pop Part1/Part 2.
Strangely The Standells' brilliant 'Try It' and The Blue Cheer's wonderful cover of 'Summertime Blues' appear on the vinyl but not the CD box set.:(

Matthew Sweet - Girlfriend

He's done some good bits and bobs since, and I like his covers albums with Susanna Hoffs, but he's never put together as good a collection of songs as this, with the added bonus of Robert Quine and Richard Lloyd on guitars.

Everyone had that back in the day - all the sunshine boys in their corduroy car coats for a start!

Chrome - Half Machine Lip Moves........ only me, my bro and Julian Cope know these!

'3rd From The Sun' is one of my favourite albums (the last one before Helios Creed left). I have a complete set of Chrome albums in various formats. Damon Edge solo albums are worth a listen too.

Logon or register to see this image

'Blood On The Moon' is another cracker. Criminally ignored band.

Last edited:
He's a QPR. Lifelong
I know that but the other person was attempting a joke what with this being a safc forum and us having done nowt since 73...
I think he sits next to the pistols drummer at Loftus Rd

The Dream Syndicate-Days Of Wine And Roses.
Back in the early 80s R.E.M. were mining The Byrds for inspiration while this lot got stuck into The Velvet Underground. I’ve got nowt else of theres left. They’ve recently reformed and did a joint album with The Bangles and The Three O’clock covering each other’s songs. They will be playing The Scala opposite KX Station later in the year and I’ve just got me ticket.

Last edited:
'3rd From The Sun' is one of my favourite albums (the last one before Helios Creed left). I have a complete set of Chrome albums in various formats. Damon Edge solo albums are worth a listen too.

Logon or register to see this image

'Blood On The Moon' is another cracker. Criminally ignored band.
Agree about the ignored bit! However by 3rd From The Sun thought they went a little bit blandish, with all their tracks starting to have a very sameish feel to them. Compared to their earlier 2 albums, which still sound like nothing else on earth! Loved Red Exposure too, as their big label nearly pop album, which first got me in to them when I bought an unwanted dj copy from the Durham Book Centre for 99p on the strength of it’s cover!

I got that from Spin Records in Newcastle in 1998. It was released on Rhino Records who previously had released four volumes of Nuggets on vinyl in 1984 entitled Hits/Punk/Pop Part1/Part 2.
Strangely The Standells' brilliant 'Try It' and The Blue Cheer's wonderful cover of 'Summertime Blues' appear on the vinyl but not the CD box set.:(

Got mine in Spin as well. Got Nuggets II from there as well, which was the rest of the world. Mainly British, but ones from all over the world

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back