Little known albums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Racey Roller - Giuda (Italian Boot Boy Glam from 2010)
Under the Fog/Save the World - Get the Girl - The King Blues
...For the Whole World To See - Death (The first punk band?)
Megatop Phoenix - Big Audio Dynamite (Mick Jones's Acid House-inspired flop)

I'm always astonished when people don't know the Beloved- I played them none stop for about five years. Around the same time I was obsessed with One Dove- their only album, Morning Dove White. Absolutely class.

Suppose it depends on the age and musical taste. The vast majority of people at work say probably wouldn’t have a clue who they were.
You and I though clearly have impeccable taste ;)

Vanessa Paradis - Vanessa Paradis
I've had this on heavy rotation lately. Got a lovely 60's vibe.

Nikka Costa - Butterfly Rocket
I love a good female voice.

I'm always astonished when people don't know the Beloved- I played them none stop for about five years.
Saw them at college and they were really good, but I probably preferred them when they were jangle indie guitar vs indie/dance

‘Quality Street’ World of Twist
I'm at work on the other side of the world and for some bizarre reason have the jeans pocket version of the Sweets single in my desk drawer :lol:

Last edited:
Suppose it depends on the age and musical taste. The vast majority of people at work say probably wouldn’t have a clue who they were.
You and I though clearly have impeccable taste ;)
My work colleagues stare agog when I talk about Meat Beat Manifesto, Finitribe, Pankow, Nitzer Ebb, The Young Gods, Ministry and NIN! Depeche Mode, Beloved, One Dove, KLF ,early Shamen and The The were/ are very much at the more accessible end of my musical spectrum. These days I listen to a lot of other stuff but 80's/ 90's electronica is still my great love.
Best gig ever still Kraftwerk at the Humming Bird in Birmingham after the re- release of Radioactivity though.

Just remembered LFO - Frequencies. Amazing. Papua New Guinea was groundbreaking.

Last edited:
My work colleagues stare agog when I talk about Meat Beat Manifesto, Finitribe, Pankow, Nitzer Ebb, The Young Gods, Ministry and NIN! Depeche Mode, Beloved, One Dove, KLF ,early Shamen and The The were/ are very much at the more accessible end of my musical spectrum. These days I listen to a lot of other stuff but 80's/ 90's electronica is still my great love.
Best gig ever still Kraftwerk at the Humming Bird in Birmingham after the re- release of Radioactivity though.

Just remembered LFO - Frequencies. Amazing. Papua New Guinea was groundbreaking.

Very much the same mate. My first ventures into music in the late 80’s took me to the ‘Manchester’ era but I quickly learned it was the electronic side of it I loved more than the jangly guitar side.
Those albums we’ve mentioned ( and many others ) were in my opinion one of this countries greatest purple patches of creativity.
There’s some amazing electronic stuff being made at minute ( Jon Hopkins, Haelos, TVAM ) but that era will always be closest to my heart.

Bit of a different vibe, but Before the Ruin by McCusker, Drever and Woomble was a cracking little album of modern Scottish folk/acoustic tunes. Roddy Woomble was the singer from Idlewild. Some of his early solo stuff is good too, nice fella as well. Always hangs out front after gigs to meet fans.

inspired by a couple of threads like most prolific band, obscure songs etc...

Do you have an album you rate very highly in your collection, but if you told anyone what is was it is unlikely they’ll recognise it

Obviously these aren’t unknowns but they never had a record reach the Top 20

The Supernaturals - A Tune A Day

Shack - HMS Fable.

My copy has just arrived today. 4CDs and a great book . Can`t wait to start delving into it :D

Congratulations mate.
A truly worthwhile purchase. Great hearing all these American bands copying the Beatles, Kinks, Stones and Who. Some absolute characters among them as well.
There's what, 110 tracks? Great value. The book as well is really good.

There's a band on disc 4 called The Monks. They all had their hair cut like monks and wore robes. Good tune as well

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back