Lion King at the Sunderland Empire

Going with my lovely wife on the 29th.

I know all the words to the songs off when the bairns were little 🙂

We're booked into Aperitif beforehand, superb food if you haven't been. The chilli and tomato mussels are great 😋

Think it’s to do with the backstage height, hence the tin extension thing you can see from the outside. Sunderland is the only theatre in the area that can host a west end show. The Empire & it’s shows are genuinely one of the only things that will get people from Newcastle off their arses & to Sunderland.

My youngest daughter is currently working backstage on this, I'm sure I heard her tell our lass that the Empire stage was the biggest or one of the biggest in the country, must be popular because she's working loads of hours at the moment.

My youngest daughter is currently working backstage on this, I'm sure I heard her tell our lass that the Empire stage was the biggest or one of the biggest in the country, must be popular because she's working loads of hours at the moment.
It’s massive hence all the shows with big sets
The extension to the empire was the catalyst for more hotel rooms and the fire station etc
Mags will be fumin

It’s massive hence all the shows with big sets
The extension to the empire was the catalyst for more hotel rooms and the fire station etc
Mags will be fumin

That makes sense of what she was told, bloke who's worked there years said it was the back stage where they struggled with space, as you say hence the extension. Long may it continue (anything that upsets them black and white bas**rds).

That makes sense of what she was told, bloke who's worked there years said it was the back stage where they struggled with space, as you say hence the extension. Long may it continue (anything that upsets them black and white bas**rds).
I think It’s on par with playhouse in Edinburgh for theatres in the north for stage size although playhouse and globe in Stockton have bigger audience capacity

We're going tonight and I can't wait. We were planning on booking a weekend away in London to see it and then 2 days later they announced their tour so decided to treat ourselves to some high value seats. It's been on my to watch list for a long time so looking forward to it!

we were out just dotting around on a saturday afternoon, had a few drinks, wandered into the dun cow and bumped into someone we knew who was going to see lion king, it sounded canny so i popped my head into the box office and they said standing room only, £10 a ticket or something like that, so we just went for it. the booth thing you stand in is on the first balcony at the side, like a little lean-on thing in front of you, with the door to the bar and toilets just behind you, its really decent, and your raised above the seats so you have a great view. look on this photo, right in the middle, those 4 little semi-circle shelf things, thats the booth you get to stand in. they are class, we had the bottom one

Logon or register to see this image
We done standing last Friday and the view was class, nice having plenty of room too.

Just got back, show was incredible and one of best things I’ve seen. Shame about the technical issues near the end but can’t be helped, highly recommend anyone thinking of going to go and see it!

Longy approved review.

Git good like.

The costumes are very clever, the start, where there lots of animals involved is excellent, brain overload trying to take everybody in. Loved the lighting, silhouettes & stuff & the African music/singing was topper.

Would love to make it a regular thing, Aladdin & Madagascar coming up, but probably spent £250 all in last night for three of us with tickets, food before & drinks. An expensive hobby.

Last edited:
I'm off tonight and having to miss the match.

Well there still be places to park in town or will the car parks be full for the match?

Was there last night, dress circle standing and it was a cracking view. Loved the show. The lass as Rafiki was quality, they all were really but she was my standout.

Two drinks in the lobby beforehand and two drinks ordered for the interval came to £28.40 mind… ouch :eek:

Back